Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High RERA Numbers
High RERA Numbers
Do high RERA numbers push up your AHI or do they just disrupt your sleep? For those that don't have Sleephead, RERA stands for "Respiratory Event Arousal...a sequence of breaths characterized by increasing respiratory effort leading to an arousal from sleep, but which does not meet criteria for an apnea or hypopnea."

I see my DME tomorrow afternoon and would like to try APAP. I'm doing very well on CPAP (on11 since strting on Sept. 11) and my 7 day AHI is 1.2, 30 day 1.5 a of today. I know he will say "why change a good thing" and say I'm doing great. I have a heart problem and am worried about Cheyne-Stokes Respiration and CA's. They both had high readings at first, but are going down now. I don't want to risk pushing CA's up with higher pressure. How can I get the RERA's down--they range from 50 to a low of about 15 per night. I had a AHI once this week of .3--it consisted of 1 CSR, 0 CA, 1 hypopnea, 1 OA and 35 RERA. I did turn off my ramp--set a 5--after a week or so because I couldn't breathe. I haven't changed settings on my own--want to get by my 3 month doctor's appointment before I do that! Have 100% all night compliance and 100% no Large Leaks. Thanks to all who try to help--great forum!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High RERA Numbers
RERAs are not part of the AHI.

The approach to reducing them would be more pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks--didn't think they were. Now need to know just how they affect the overall sleep experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 11:16 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Thanks--didn't think they were. Now need to know just how they affect the overall sleep experience.

They can cause fragmented sleep and daytime symptoms because of the arousals.
Post Reply Post Reply
That may be the reason for my never-ending yawns most of the day. I haven't fallen asleep in the late afternoon or evening like I used to and haven't taken a nap since I started the CPAP routine. My energy level hasn't improved much either. I usually only wake up once during the night--at least that I remember. I don't move around much--pain sometime interferes. I've had two rotator cuff surgeries in the past year--was just able to sleep on my side again when I got the CPAP--I'd been sleeping on my back for a long time. My right knee will be replaced in February and it causes sleep problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned, RERA is an arousal statistic. With your mentioned health issues , it is certainly no wonder that you have a lot of RERA's.
RERA's can be caused by daily psychological issues, stress, pain, anxiety, spicy foods, too many issues to mention.
The arousals certainly interfere with the quality of sleep.
If a cpap were placed on most of the population (those not with sleep apnea) I feel sure that nearly all would record many events.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you for your information, JudgeMental!
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a PRS1 Auto and had higher RERA than after I switched to BiPAP. In auto, I got good treatment at a pressure of 11 cm, but with BiPAP I use a minimum pressure of 12.5/8.5 (IPAP/EPAP), and pressures 13.5*8.75. So with the comfortable reduction of pressure for exhale, and slightly higher IPAP pressure, it works to keep RERA lower. I do trade off a small amount of CA, but my sleep feels better. RERA index is currently .2 to .6 and varies up to to 1.0 rarely. The RERA index on Auto was around 3.5.

I can't say bilevel is your answer, but a number of members here have similar experience with bilevel and RERA reduction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:As mentioned, RERA is an arousal statistic. With your mentioned health issues , it is certainly no wonder that you have a lot of RERA's.
RERA's can be caused by daily psychological issues, stress, pain, anxiety, spicy foods, too many issues to mention.
The arousals certainly interfere with the quality of sleep.
If a cpap were placed on most of the population (those not with sleep apnea) I feel sure that nearly all would record many events.

Just a point of clarification: Arousals can be due to a number of issues like those mentioned above, but RERAs are respiratory effort related arousals that are due to flow-limited breathing. A RERA is a very specific type of arousal with a specific cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate the information--anyone else with opinions, suggestions, etc?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 401 5 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 198 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 208 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 112 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 136 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 201 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.