Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High RERA Numbers
RE: High RERA Numbers
(11-30-2015, 10:23 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I appreciate the information--anyone else with opinions, suggestions, etc?

Bilevel is the standard treatment to reduce RERAs. But in some patients bilevel therapy tends to cause a larger number of Central Apneas. So it may be a trade off, less RERA for higher centrals. But I think centrals, if short, might not cause arousals and therefore for some patients don't cause the stress and excessive daytime sleepiness which RERAs and hypopneas and obstructive apneas cause.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 04:47 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-30-2015, 10:23 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I appreciate the information--anyone else with opinions, suggestions, etc?

Bilevel is the standard treatment to reduce RERAs. But in some patients bilevel therapy tends to cause a larger number of Central Apneas. So it may be a trade off, less RERA for higher centrals. But I think centrals, if short, might not cause arousals and therefore for some patients don't cause the stress and excessive daytime sleepiness which RERAs and hypopneas and obstructive apneas cause.

Thanks I did quite a bit of searching last night and found out RERAs can reduce oxygen significantly. Now I have some information from what I've read and what has been shared to ask intelligent questions of my care providers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 02:04 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I did quite a bit of searching last night and found out RERAs can reduce oxygen significantly. Now I have some information from what I've read and what has been shared to ask intelligent questions of my care providers!

Be sure to read up on RDI. It is better than AHI as a measure of treatment success.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respirat...ance_index

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read that very same Wiki article--plus as lot more. Lots of info out there.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is the major flaw in my S9.... It doesnt report RERA and my sleep study showed them to be significant!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 04:51 PM)DariaVader Wrote: That is the major flaw in my S9.... It doesnt report RERA and my sleep study showed them to be significant!

Right, the S9 AutoSet does not report an estimate for the number of RERA events, but at least it does raise the pressure in response to Flow Limitation, which tends to eliminate the cause of RERA events.

Also, it has EPR which is a limited form of bilevel therapy and which tends to reduce Flow Limitation and the number of RERA events.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 11:17 PM)vsheline Wrote: Right, the S9 AutoSet does not report an estimate for the number of RERA events, but at least it does raise the pressure in response to Flow Limitation, which tends to eliminate the cause of RERA events.

Also, it has EPR which is a limited form of bilevel therapy and which tends to reduce Flow Limitation and the number of RERA events.

Good point - and I do run a fairly wide pressure range with EPR3 fulltime. Moving to bilevel is something I have talked to my doc about and he said he thinks its not a bad idea and will do that for me, but I opted to wait until my S9 was paid for first Big Grin which it now is. The main reason for starting at 8 instead of 9 or 10 is that it worsens the water retention problem markedly --- EPR mitigates that, and according to research bilevel would help even more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good point - and I do run a fairly wide pressure range with EPR3 fulltime. Moving to bilevel is something I have talked to my doc about and he said he thinks its not a bad idea and will do that for me, but I opted to wait until my S9 was paid for first Big Grin which it now is. The main reason for starting at 8 instead of 9 or 10 is that it worsens the water retention problem markedly --- EPR mitigates that, and according to research bilevel would help even more.
[/quote]

I hadn't heard of water retention when talking about XPAP before, or is that just a problem you have?

Saw my DME tech today and he surprised me. He wasn't anti-software as I thought and was really interested in Sleephead and what I was learning. He agreedI should talk to my cardiologist and get overnight pulse oximeter tests to check on O2 levels because of the RERAS numbers. Last night was one of my best--AHI .7. no CSRs, 5 hypopneas, no OAs and only 8 RERAs--the lowest ever. I have a cold and didn't sleep a lot--managed to keep my mask on all night but was awake more than usual. He told me to talk to my sleep doc about changing to APAP and I got a smaller frame for my DreamWear mask. I'm very happy with A Turning Leaf Medical Supply! Thanks to all who replied to this message--great people here!
Post Reply Post Reply
Long thread - but yes, it is an issue for some.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...=retention

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2015, 12:09 AM)DariaVader Wrote: Long thread - but yes, it is an issue for some.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...=retention

Thank you for this link. I need to watch that it doesn't become an issue for me asI already have some edema in my legs and am on lasix (heart and blood pressure).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 119 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 704 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 182 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.