Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High Respiratory rate = Better sleep?
Idea 
High Respiratory rate = Better sleep?
So I have been on my CPAP for about 3.5 months now, 2.5 of which I have been at my prescribed pressure. I was prescribed a pressure of 16, however I had to scale it up due to the difficulty of adjusting. I have spent quite a bit of time in Sleepyhead, and tried to log the days when I felt noticeably better than normal. One thing I quickly realized is it has been a higher respiratory rate, not a lower AHI, that has been an indicator (or so it seems) for a better nights sleep. I also seems like the respiratory rate in graph one represents me transitioning through the various sleep stages (See here: thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_11/i_11_p/i_11_p_cyc/i_11_p_cyc.html), while the one two it almost appears I didn't transition much at all. I have attached 3 graphs below, which are as follows:
1. High respiratory rate (95% = ~31), felt like a champ when I woke up.
2. Low respiratory rate (95% = ~20). Day after screenshot one, woke up and felt a bit tired. Had to fight taking a nap during the day.
3. Another example of a low respiratory rate, accompanied by a low AHI. Felt like crap (still better than before CPAP).

One thing I have noticed is if I eat extremely clean (fruit, vegetables, nuts, lean meat, and water only), I achieve consistently high respiratory rates. After about 3 or 4 days in a row, my mood is noticeably better (it still way better overall since starting the CPAP), and I feel like I can remember things that previously seemed to have slipped away.

I understand respiratory rates fluctuate and are different for everyone. That being said, I am curious if others are fluctuating as much as mine, and if that seems to correlate to how 'quality' sleep and subsequently better feeling the following day. Additionally, does anyone have any thoughts on how to maintain a high respiratory rate, outside of eating like a rabbit (which has been the only successful thing for me)?

(Sorry, wouldn't let me embed)
i.imgur.com/P6KEt0a.png
i.imgur.com/asAaaQk.png
i.imgur.com/PI3T9mV.png
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Respiratory rate = Better sleep?
(04-05-2015, 09:21 PM)nutricula Wrote: So I have been on my CPAP for about 3.5 months now, 2.5 of which I have been at my prescribed pressure. I was prescribed a pressure of 16, however I had to scale it up due to the difficulty of adjusting. I have spent quite a bit of time in Sleepyhead, and tried to log the days when I felt noticeably better than normal. One thing I quickly realized is it has been a higher respiratory rate, not a lower AHI, that has been an indicator (or so it seems) for a better nights sleep. I also seems like the respiratory rate in graph one represents me transitioning through the various sleep stages (See here: thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_11/i_11_p/i_11_p_cyc/i_11_p_cyc.html), while the one two it almost appears I didn't transition much at all. I have attached 3 graphs below, which are as follows:
1. High respiratory rate (95% = ~31), felt like a champ when I woke up.
2. Low respiratory rate (95% = ~20). Day after screenshot one, woke up and felt a bit tired. Had to fight taking a nap during the day.
3. Another example of a low respiratory rate, accompanied by a low AHI. Felt like crap (still better than before CPAP).

One thing I have noticed is if I eat extremely clean (fruit, vegetables, nuts, lean meat, and water only), I achieve consistently high respiratory rates. After about 3 or 4 days in a row, my mood is noticeably better (it still way better overall since starting the CPAP), and I feel like I can remember things that previously seemed to have slipped away.

I understand respiratory rates fluctuate and are different for everyone. That being said, I am curious if others are fluctuating as much as mine, and if that seems to correlate to how 'quality' sleep and subsequently better feeling the following day. Additionally, does anyone have any thoughts on how to maintain a high respiratory rate, outside of eating like a rabbit (which has been the only successful thing for me)?

(Sorry, wouldn't let me embed)
i.imgur.com/P6KEt0a.png
i.imgur.com/asAaaQk.png
i.imgur.com/PI3T9mV.png

Why are you running an Autoset machine at fixed pressure?

Generally, ones respiratory rate is lower in the deeper stages of sleep.
And comparing the 95% numbers doesn't make sense. The 95% numbers mean you are at or above that number only 5% of the time.
Comparing median respiratory rates would make more sense.

looks like your respiratory rate graph may have an artifact that makes the rate look 2X.
One would have to magnify a portion of the flow waveform to see if it's triggering from IPAP to/from IPAP-EPR on a wiggle in the flow waveform.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Higher respiratory rates reduce your carbon dioxide levels in your blood, if this keeps up go see your doctor, low co2 numbers are not good
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 08:14 AM)brianwood619 Wrote: Higher respiratory rates reduce your carbon dioxide levels in your blood, if this keeps up go see your doctor, low co2 numbers are not good

Please help me understand. I would think low CO2 would be a VERY good thing as CO2 is a waste gas.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 08:34 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Please help me understand. I would think low CO2 would be a VERY good thing as CO2 is a waste gas.

OMM

Prima facie, one would think that's true.

CO2 levels need to be in balance because:
1) Central respiratory drive uses CO2 levels as one input to breathe.
2) CO2 dissolved in the blood factors into pH. (less CO2 = higher pH level.)

You've heard of hyperventilation... That's blowing off excessive CO2 causing respiratory alkalosis.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 08:34 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 08:14 AM)brianwood619 Wrote: Higher respiratory rates reduce your carbon dioxide levels in your blood, if this keeps up go see your doctor, low co2 numbers are not good

Please help me understand. I would think low CO2 would be a VERY good thing as CO2 is a waste gas.

OMM

Carbon dioxide is important to regulate the acid-base balance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nutricula,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah. Thanks.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's interesting that there is an inverse correlation between your median respiratory rate and tidal volume. That is actually expected since as you take more rapid breaths, they also become smaller. So are you saying, you felt better the next day for image 3 than image 1 or 2? Seems counter intuitive.
[Image: asAaaQk.png]

[Image: P6KEt0a.png]

[Image: PI3T9mV.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your median minute ventilation is ~7L/min on all 3 nights which is normal. But on nights your respiratory rate is higher (18.1 bpm), your tidal volume is lower at 400ml. Your lungs are getting less O2 on that day (due to anatomical dead space being a fixed ~150ml of each breath). Looks like your breathing is more efficient on the day where your tidal volume is 500+.

So I don't think this is the reason for you feeling more refreshed on days with higher respiratory rate. Something else is at work. Chances are that your body is still adjusting to breathing against pressure (your I:E ratio is still less than 1:1. Normally it should be between 1:1 to 1:2). Your body will slowly normalize its breathing pattern over the first 6 months. Then, you should see which days you feel better.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.