Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High Tidal Volume
High Tidal Volume
    HI, New board member. 

I've been on CPAP for a year now and just discovered and installed OSCAR. I seem to have high Tidal volume spikes. is this something to be concerned about ?

A bit of history. I have had 3 lung surgeries to remove tumors (Bowel cancer ) in 2015 & 2017. I have reduced lung functionality having had my lower left lung lobe removed, then a segment taken out of that, and also a wedge segment taken out of my right lung. I have allergic rhinitis, and undergoing Prostate cancer treatment. I have a lot going on.

I've read the online help guide but am still a bit lost interpreting the result of last night's data.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Tidal Volume
Variations in TV like that are very common in REM sleep, which the early part of your night is consistent with.

What's not typical are the green bar segments which appear later in the night, that can be a sign of cardio-pulmonary insufficiency. The pattern is typical of CO2 washout instability: a period of apnea allows CO2 to build up in the system, which drives recovery breathing at a greater rate and depth, and this excess breathing washes out enough CO2 to cause another apnea because the body no longer feels the urge to breathe. I would discuss this pattern with a pulmonologist and maybe also a cardiologist since you have reason to suspect a possible insufficiency in your case. It may also be related to the Prostate cancer treatment, but I'd say it's definitely worth looking into.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bartman, have you ever tried using EPR?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, not even aware of it at this moment.  Will need to do some research.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me save you the trouble. EPR is exhale pressure relief on all Resmed CPAPs. It can drop the exhale pressure from 1 to 3 cm during exhale, and restore that pressure during inhale. That makes your Resmed Airsense 10, a bilevel (BiPAP) machine in disguise. The reason I asked is because you have high flow limitations through the night and the EPR function can treat and minimize that problem. Flow limitation is a an obstructive condition in the airway that responds best to bilevel or EPR, because the increasing pressure during inhale help overcome that airway resistance. If you look at a zoom of your flow rate, you will see what should be inspiratory peaks are all flattened. EPR can fix that. So I want to suggest you change your settings to minimum pressure 6.0, Maximum pressure 10.0 with EPR on full-time at setting 2. Sleep with more comfort and better results. Let's see it! Here is a quick tutorial on how to access the settings. https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 109 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 401 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 141 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 180 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 265 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 210 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 206 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.