Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High anxiety and discomfort
High anxiety and discomfort
I started therapy about 3 months ago using a nasal mask (Wisp). The first month was really good, but things went downhill from there. About 3 weeks ago I stopped using the machine because my nose was stuffy and I could not catch my breath while on therapy. Adjusting the humidity higher made me panicky. This week I got nasal pillows, and things were fine in the office when I tried the new mask on. But at home, with humidity from the machine(and a brand new heated hose), I feel like I am breathing through wet socks, and am not able to fall asleep. The humidity on the machine is set quite low. I've only been able to keep the mask on for a maximum of 2 hours. I find myself lifting the mask up and panting. Even with the mask on, blowing all this air in my nose, I am waking up gasping for air as I drift off. What do you think I've got wrong? Any advice appreciated. I'd really like to make this work, and learn cope with a higher humidity to help with congestion. I am starting to feel extremely anxious about going to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High anxiety and discomfort
What is your room temperature?

What are your humidifier and hose temp settings?

Do you have a hose cover?
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
No hose cover. 19c, or about 67f is the room temperature. I tried auto one night, and then set the temp to 69f with humidity on 3 the next. 3 seems to be the highest humidity I can stand right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 07:21 PM)Tikka Wrote: I started therapy about 3 months ago using a nasal mask (Wisp). The first month was really good, but things went downhill from there. About 3 weeks ago I stopped using the machine because my nose was stuffy and I could not catch my breath while on therapy. Adjusting the humidity higher made me panicky. This week I got nasal pillows, and things were fine in the office when I tried the new mask on. But at home, with humidity from the machine(and a brand new heated hose), I feel like I am breathing through wet socks, and am not able to fall asleep. The humidity on the machine is set quite low. I've only been able to keep the mask on for a maximum of 2 hours. I find myself lifting the mask up and panting. Even with the mask on, blowing all this air in my nose, I am waking up gasping for air as I drift off. What do you think I've got wrong? Any advice appreciated. I'd really like to make this work, and learn cope with a higher humidity to help with congestion. I am starting to feel extremely anxious about going to bed.

Yes, I totally understand what you are saying. I had a resmed 8 which I used for years with no problems. With my 10, it started out fine but the same thing. I don't understand why you have to adjust so much and why they needed to change something that was working fine. I too feel like I am breathing through mud. Most of the replies I have gotten have to do with humidity. I guess we will have to try to tweak this humidity thing with the hopes it will work. Just know you are not alone with the way you are feeling. Bedtime should be a restful time, not a fight fest with your cpap machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might try lowering your humidity setting.

I run humidity=1 and temp=70 and it's not bad.

Something to try.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using EPR, and if so, on what setting? It sounds to me like you're having difficulty exhaling, and turning on (or increasing) the EPR setting reduces the pressure on exhale. I found that this setting was especially important with nasal pillows.

Some folks don't like it because they believe it increases the chances of an obstructive apnea occurring at the beginning of inhale, before the pressure goes back up, but I have never had an issue with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is is important to monitor you data closely if you decide to change therapy settings.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Tikka, my suggestion is to put your mask on and play with the settings well before going to bed. Find what is COMFORTABLE for you vs. the idea that you must have a higher humidity setting. Some people can't stand added humidity at all, congestion or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience:
1. humidity with CPAP is not like humidity from any other source. What this means is don't assume that humidity will increase or decrease your congestion, try all settings until you find what is right for you. I thought I liked humidity and have varied from high to low to dry tank to ice in the tank, even then it has changed over time.
2. I was quite sensitive to exhaling into pressure. I cannot use a nose only mask, at all. I had EPR maxed at 3 and still had problems. I am on BiLevel (AirCurve 10 VPAP) and with pressure support set at 4 I am now fine with my FFM.
3. the pressure of CPAP sure feels like congestion and I needed to convince myself that I did not get congested as soon as I turned the machine on
4. I use breatheright strips every time I put the mask on
5. sometimes I use those nasal inserts and sometimes they help

Don't assume that anything pre-CPAP applies to using CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Tikka,

I was having a lot of problems with humidity settings, congestion, etc. about three months ago. In addition to adjusting those settings, I started using lavender aromatherapy oil around my pillow at bedtime as well as taking a shower before bed and listening to music to block the sound of the xPAP machine.

It may seem like overkill, but I wanted to stop the bad associations I was developing with bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 702 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.