Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High anxiety and discomfort
RE: High anxiety and discomfort
(04-14-2016, 04:17 PM)robysue Wrote: You need to learn how to NOT focus on your breathing when you are trying to get to sleep. It really is that simple. And that hard. Because one of the hardest things to do is to NOT focus on your breathing when you've got a six foot tube stuck on your nose that's following every breath you take during the night.

It's like the old Chinese aphorism that the pill will work only if you do not think of a monkey for a full minute before you take it.

But this is a double bind: trying not to think of a monkey is precisely thinking of a monkey! And trying to ignore your breathing means that you are thinking about your breathing, which is exactly what you don't want to do!

I can suggest a little trick that might or might not work. Try sitting for say five minutes during the day and be very intensely aware of every single breath. If you are like me you won't be able to do it - your mind will drift off to other things very quickly.

So instead of fighting an awareness of breathing you might try paying it very close attention. You might find that very shortly you will forget about your breathing. Or you might not, no guarantees. It might be worth the experiment, though.

If you do that with the intent to learn how to ignore your breathing it probably won't work, because that's just another disguised form of the thing you want to stop!

And trying is your problem. In order to stop worrying about your breathing you have to stop worrying about your worry. Trying not to worry is precisely worrying! Being anxious is bad enough, but being anxious about your anxiety really puts you in a pickle. I speak from long experience in that department, believe me.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've started using eucalyptus oil in the intake of my A10. I also use those menthol eucalyptus cough drops. Together, they really open up my sinuses. I'll probably end up OD'ing on eucalyptus.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-You robysue, very informative and yes useful post!! It makes a lot of sense from a scientific and emotional stand point. Sometimes we blur the lines between the two and emotion runs us over. Going to take your advice in the PM you sent.

Maybe I'll try some eucalyptus as sdb7802 suggested (-;
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='robysue' pid='157885' dateline='1460668628']

[quote]Now imagine as I lay my head down, as soon as i start to drift off my breathing has shallowed right out and I end up gasping for a breath.[/quote]What used to happen before you started CPAP? Were you even aware of your breathing when you were trying to fall asleep? Or did you just fall asleep without any awareness that your breathing had become more shallow?

Just wanted to reply to this. Yes, even before the CPAP I was always aware of my very shallow breathing just as I was about to doze off and would take a frantic gulp of air and of course it jolts me right back to full awake.
Its hard to explain, I'm getting close to falling asleep and I can tell my breathing is almost stopping completely yet I don't react until it forces me to inhale deeply. It's quite disturbing.
I lived with this for years.

My first week on the Resmed (week ago now) she had me set to auto. I actually managed to log about 4-5 hours sleep, I think?? anyways the next day she contacted me and said she was switching me to constant pressure because in her words " your body just did not like the auto mode, too many central AI's"

I would have thought that would have been a clue to whether or not I have OSA, or mixed/complex Apnea seeing as I snore as well and the fact that i know I stop breathing even before I fall asleep.

very confusing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know it's only been a very short time since initially posting, but I cannot tell you how reassuring it is to review this thread. As robysue suggested, I dropped the humidity on my machine. It was wonderful. 4.5 hours on it last night, most of them truly asleep, with very little of that suffocating feeling. It was enough to establish hope that there's a future for me on CPAP, and my anxiety level is dropping. It's one thing to intellectualize that you're getting enough air, and another to feel it. I got up shortly after waking, the sleep was so good.

I probably should have mentioned that boosting the humidity setting was on the advice of my physician to address the congestion issue. I think I was taking that advice as something engraved in stone and that had to be done while ignoring my own comfort. Not for a moment did I even consider her recommendation was just that - a recommendation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing: if you are panicing and feel you are suffocating and not getting enough oxygen: Have you tried the next BIGGER size of the nasal pillows? My fitter always says "Oh, you look like a size small", but after trying that, I felt like I was suffocating about 30 minutes in. I wasn't taking enough oxygen in. So I tried the next size bigger (the kit came with three, and I see you have the same kit) and it made a world of difference!! I could get more air into me!

Now, I used to play a wind instrument in high school, and apparently developed deep lungs, so maybe not everybody needs this much oxygen. But maybe you do! It's worth a try. Dainty, nuthin. I'd rather breathe than look dainty while sleeping. So I use the size medium, and they make my nose flare out, but it works much better!

[ PS Not that it's relevant, but I don't use any humidity at all. I've bought the side panel that plugs off the humidity chamber. ]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tikka,

I just read through this thread and want to offer support as well. I have lots of issues with my clogged up nose. My ENT suggests using saline spray, Breathe Right strips, Max-Air Nose Cones, and frowns on some of my other "solutions". It takes a lot of work to get the settings just right. There are some very knowledgeable people here so stick with the Forum and make changes one at a time.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 120 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,435 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 216 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 300 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.