Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High leak rate
High leak rate
ok I've got a high leak rate (26) and I use a P10 pillows. what I figured out is if I inhale with my mouth air goes up the nose then out the mouth. I've started to use a chin strap and got it down to about 20 any other ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High leak rate
I had a problem with nasal pillows popping my mouth open, and I couldn't get comfortable with a chin strap. Have you tried a boil and bite mouthguard? One of the ones that imprints your top and bottom teeth and has breathing holes on the front you can plug. Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
The chinstrap is the right idea. It just takes a little implementation. First, don't cinch it up tightly. That just causes problems. Apply it gently and work with it to see it "encourage" your jaw to come forward. The idea is not to keep your mouth shut but rather make your body happier with the jaw forward than it is with it dropping back towards your adam's apple. When the jaw is forward, the natural place for your tongue to hang out is on the roof of your mouth, thus making a nice, airtight seal.

Just practice with it. It's an art-form, not a science.
Post Reply Post Reply
With my last sleep study I also had a High Leak rate they tried 2 different Chin Straps which both proved to be unsuccessful and finally they used a Full Face Mask which Helped out with my mouth breathing but I was initially uncomfortable with it and didn't sleep well. But Over time I am sure I will get used to it and my sleep will get better once I start my Therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, a leak rate of 26 is not that bad.

Look at the leak graph. If it is flat topped kinda sorta, it *may* be mouth breathing. If it is jagged, it is mask leaking like it came loose.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 05:59 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Actually, a leak rate of 26 is not that bad.

Look at the leak graph. If it is flat topped kinda sorta, it *may* be mouth breathing. If it is jagged, it is mask leaking like it came loose.

Thank You Paula for this useful information. Knowing how to read sleepyhead is very useful
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 8 106 2 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 44 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 245 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.