Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High leaks with nasal pillows, but low AHI. what's that about?
RE: High leaks with nasal pillows, but low AHI. what's that about?
In passing you mentioned trying again to tape your mouth while using the P10. Have you actually done that? If you like the P10 but you're having mouth leaks, then I would encourage you to see whether you can take measures to keep your mouth closed.

In addition to tape, you could try a soft cervical collar or a "snore" collar to keep your lower jaw up, and you could start trying to enlist your tongue in your efforts. Put the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth, press the rest of your tongue up against the roof of your mouth, and do a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction.

You can practice this during the day. You will know you're doing it right when you can open your mouth wide and still be breathing only through your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High leaks with nasal pillows, but low AHI. what's that about?
Interesting, mesenteria.  I went in to see a DME at Kaiser because mouth breathing had become an issue and I was beginning to suspect that I wasn't getting an accurate ahi reading because of how lousy I was feeling in the morning. That DME agreed with you, implicitly--she said that if leaks weren't bothering me, not to worry. However I only had my old respironics machine and I'm unsure how thoroughly she read my reports--altho the machine certainly had the capacity to record the relevant info.

I did get a full face mask to try, and a new Airsense 10. I went back in after 2 months of using the full mask and the new sleep doc guy said, yeah, i  definitely need that.

So: with the P10 pillows,  either the ahi is being recorded as too low due to leaks; OR the leak rate is being compensated just fine by the nasal pillows and I'm good to go. In the end it's how I feel that will determine the issue, I suppose. It's still ongoing.

oh p.s. I think I'll try taping again...it felt a little claustrophobic but maybe I'll get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,752 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 688 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 102 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.