Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High level of leaks
High level of leaks
NewBe....bout a week/10days. My main concern is the high leak rate 3 different Masks ( 1st. air Fit N30I Nasal, 2nd. Dreamwear Full face mask  3rd.F&P Eson 2 Nasal ) and still leak rates like Medium 22.4 max 52.4. . I tightened the first two mask trying to eliminate leaks but it actually hurt my nose the 3rd is most comfortable but.... still high leak rate ? 
  Thank You,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High level of leaks
Mike,

I've found that tightening your mask too much can be counterproductive to creating a good seal for most mask types. A tight mask will also be uncomfortable and make it hard to sleep.

For the AirFit N30i - have you tried different cushion sizes? Too large or too small and the seal will break more easily when you're moving around in your sleep.

For the Eson 2 and Full Face Mask - do you have a beard/mustache? Facial hair will make you more prone to developing leaks. I was able to get both my Full Face mask and nasal mask working with my beard, but it was never ideal. Ultimately it was just easier and more comfortable to use a nasal pillow mask (AirFit P10).

Lastly your jaw/mouth may be opening at night and causing the air to escape that way. I've had this happen and would wake up with a dry mouth and air gushing out of my mouth. If that is the case you could try a chinstrap to prevent your mouth from opening.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleepapena, Welcome

You may find some help in the "Mask Primer" Wiki page here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Everyone is different as far as which mask works for them and it's a very personal choice. I use the F30 FFM (hybrid) and my wife loves the P10. But following the advice in the wiki got us both to the point of virtually no leaks most of the time.

Hope this helps...
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You ! I'll ck out the chin strap...I tried a travel pillow last night ......not good.

Thank You. I'll ck out this info. Really want this to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, This Board has produced some excellent help. I've had  the pressure lowered and tried adjusting the mask as best I can ( F&P Eson 2 Nasal Mask ) still high Leak rate but my incidents have come down  probably ave. < 5 for the last week leak rate still 40nbut...??? I've ordered the Air Touch N20 (memory foam) to see if it's more comfortable (The F&P causes a bit of irritation .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.