Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High pressure, Dizzy.
RE: High pressure, Dizzy.
do you have a copy of your sleep study? i would think the 'nice guy' would be use more professional terms than 'stop your snoring'...was he the tech or a doc... ?
i urge you to call your doc and express your concerns ... maybe an apap is the way to go... even if for a month to re-titrate..
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2014, 04:32 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Welcome to the forum Plunger1.

Depends on the kind of "dizzy" we are talking about. If by dizzy, one means loss of balance then this can be caused by pressure behind the eardrum. Happens to me on occasion although not from CPAP. Once the pressure relieves the balance returns.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Payton, that's what I was getting at.

Mongo, you're quite right that the semi-circular ducts in the inner ear deal with balance and rotational accelerations, but that are not the only components of the ear that deal with acceleration and balance. If there is a significant enough pressure differential between ears, it can cause balance disruptions as well....part of the reason I was asking about flying.

Planger, if it doesn't clear up on its own, it is something you should discuss with your doctor and it is worthwhile mentioning that you do have other issues associated with your ears (like the deafness after landing).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gezz.. I can't imagine what the people go through that have to have 17 as a constant pressure. That would take A LOT of time to get used to if ever.

If you have a high pressure like that I would think an auto pap machine is the only way to go, as it wouldn't be constantly at such a high pressure so you could be more comfortable.

(BTW it doesn't say your location in your profile, but if you are in Ontario, Canada a pressure that high you can get an upgrade to an s9 autoset free of charge)
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept with my machine last night, well I tried to sleep. My mask blew out 2 times so I had to tighten it. I woke up twice not breathing.
I'm going to give it some time. I'm going to set up an appointment with my sleep apnea doctor and report my issues. I plan to ask her for an auto set machine. If she does not go along with that I'll at least hope for an upgrade to an elite. It's only $20.00 more.
Do a lot of people have these issues early on?
Post Reply Post Reply
The dizziness did NOT return when I awoke this morning. I'll mention it to my doc anyways along with other ear issues.
I'm so glad you all are here to help this beginner. I'll be sure to pay it back to a newbie at a latter date.
I live in S.E. Michigan near Ann Arbor
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2014, 03:13 PM)planger1 Wrote: I plan to ask her for an auto set machine. If she does not go along with that I'll at least hope for an upgrade to an elite. It's only $20.00 more.
Do a lot of people have these issues early on?
Make sure does say 'AutoSet' (not Escape Auto) next to on/off button
S9 AutoSet is about $40 more than S9 Elite but two machines in one

No one is problem free and everyone have issues from time to time but without data, you cannot fix them or even knows about them

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2014, 03:13 PM)planger1 Wrote: I plan to ask her for an auto set machine. If she does not go along with that I'll at least hope for an upgrade to an elite. It's only $20.00 more.

(04-24-2014, 03:31 PM)zonk Wrote: Make sure does say 'AutoSet' (not Escape Auto) next to on/off button
S9 AutoSet is about $40 more than S9 Elite but two machines in one

Hi planger1, welcome to the forum!

Yes, with a high prescribed Pressure of 17, you will likely benefit a lot from having an APAP machine so that your Pressure will automatically adjust itself that high only when needed.

You can point out that, unlike the S9 AutoSet, the S9 Escape Auto does not use the new Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm which reliably distinguishes between Central Apnea and Obstructive Apnea and does a better job in adjusting the Pressure. If you go to the ResMed website you would be able to verify for yourself that the S9 Escape Auto does not use the same treatment algorithm as the S9 AutoSet. I think many sleep doctors and DME providers are unaware that the S9 Escape Auto uses the old S8 version treatment algorithm.

If necessary, ask that your doctor add to your written prescription the specific model you want.

But actually, if your prescribed pressure is as high like 17 cm H2O and if you are more sensitive to high pressure than average, a "bi-level" machine may be warranted in order to allow greater comfort. Keep that in mind as the next thing to try if you have problems adapting to treatment with the S9 AutoSet and you find you would like more pressure relief between the inhale pressure (IPAP) and the exhale pressure (EPAP).

ResMed has said their optimal machine for simple Obstructive Sleep Apnea is called the S9 VPAP Auto. The S9 VPAP Auto is an upgraded version of the S9 AutoSet The AutoSet has a feature called Exhale Pressure Relief (EPR) which allows the pressure to be lowered by as much as 3 during exhalation, which tends to reduce respiratory effort and leaking, and most people find it is more comfortable. But especially when the Pressure is as high as 17, some people prefer the Pressure to drop 4 or more during exhalation, and a feature called Pressure Relief on the S9 VPAP Auto can do this; plus the S9 VPAP Auto is a little more adjustable, with settings for how abruptly the machine triggers up to the higher IPAP pressure and how abruptly the machine cycles back to the lower EPAP pressure.

Also ask your doctor for a copy of the written prescription for your own records, and ask for copies of your full sleep reports (including plots of the data). Having a copy of the prescription will enable you to buy supplies online, if desired, and may be required if you will be using your machine on a long airline fight or if traveling outside the country. The sleep reports are important to have for future reference, as there is a wealth of information in there which you will gradually be able to better understand.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.