Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello, 1st time on the board to post. Have previously accessed the manuals.
Hello, 1st time on the board to post. Have previously accessed the manuals.
Hi,  I need help in dialing in the optimals for my current lung status. It is different now than it was 1 month ago.
Been using a Dreamstation BiPap Pro DSX600H11. Mfg 11/2015.
With the mated humidifier DSXHCP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, the machine has met my basic needs for
OSA, IPF pulm fibrosis (dx since using this machine! 5 yrs). Restrictive airways disease, Reactive Airways/Asthma (all suddenly wildly exacerbated).
****I spent 18 days in COVID ICU Isolation,
Only home 6 days now. My respiratory machinery needs were absolutely dropped through the cracks, despite my loudest vocalisations of protest that “having a cpap machine at home” no more meets safe discharge guidleines than sending me home on 1 E-Tank, while I am using 8-10L/M.
****OK, just looking for some more exerienced guide with my machine: I have come back from the dead. I want to eliminate any roadblocks. -***I often feel that I am at war with my BiPaP, especially when I finally sleep. I have tweaked my I/E settings to now:15/9.  Prehosp I was good at20/10.  I dont know about the auto adjust features on the fly, or how to make this work for me so I wont have to go back in hosp.
I hate Ramp! I need the flow and IP as soon as its on. Heat is on 2 and 2 for tubing. Machine works fine. I just need to TRY to find optimals for now. I often feel air hunger. Anxiety is addressed. What about auto-titrate flow? Was that just on a previous machine?
What’s so PRO about this one?
Help! Thank you! God bless you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello, 1st time on the board to post. Have previously accessed the manuals.
Welcome to the funny farm of Apnea.

First pointer I have is, let's get you to download OSCAR to your PC so we can see therapy data.

Second, be aware your Respironics DreamStation, if series 1, is under recall. You may need to check with your doctor about getting it replaced.

Third, tell us more on your Respiratory disease. This will be a big monkey wrench in some to most Apnea machines not working well for you. This may place your therapy needs to ventilator or nearly so status necessity.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, How will OSCAR help with getting better dialed in now, to hopefully eliminate any unnecessary increased WOB .
Oscar all new to me.
I am aware of the recall. I am signed up with that. I’m nearly 5 yrs into the life of my dreamstation.
I have an appt nxt Thursday with my pulmonary guy. Its so long btwn now and then….. need to keep breathing as effortlessly with this machine as possible.
    Today Im on oximizer cannula at 10L/M.
Doing better off bipap. But need get dialed in.  Wassup with Flex? Biflex? And Flex choice of 1, 2, 3 ???  What does that represent for me today?  Thanksa
Post Reply Post Reply
How will OSCAR help? We can see your data and then know what settings will need adjusted to address the issues in your therapy. We can't do well driving blind.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome - as Dave said, please install OSCAR and let us see what's happening with your data so that we can help you find the best settings for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does Oscar require a compuker to run?
I only use an iPhone.
It seems rather odd to run a program somehow detecting my machine settings, 
and plop it out who knows where, for who knows what to see.  For that I am not a zealot.  
I may have solved my trouble, maybe, by having perused an online manual for my machine.  I believe I distilled down the few tweakable adjustments to make to ensure better transaction between this machine & me. In BiPap mode, Flex 1,2,3. (#3) seems to be the best choice for releasing airway pressure, (IPaP #15)before the end of expiratory phase when my setting of 
(EPaP #9)  kicks in for effective PEEP.

Since coming home after the ICU stay due to the China Biowarfare which WTP unwittingly paid for (‘nuther topic) my previously crappy lungs are minimally functioning. I do NOT feel that my 5yr old Respironics Dreamstation BiPaP Pro with matching heater and heated tubing meets my current minimal safe needs. Before the China Flu I was at about 40% by PFT. With a few PFTs in that range. 
Dx: IPF x about5 yrs. just as long as the respironics machine has been off gassing into my lungs ?. Odd, no? 
I have restrictive airways disease, adult onset asthma, OSA and what has become, extremely reactive airways. It seems unless I’m very well medicated for pain and anxiety, that I tend to now buck or fight the vent to the point It wakes me up struggling to breathe. I actually do better for many hours at a time on an oximizer cannula @10L.

I like the machine for its normal use. I use it 16-18/hrs per day. Awake, asleep, just watching TV in bed.  My pulmonary guy encourages use of BiPaP as an adjunct for me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry but OSCAR requires a PC or laptop.
Can you provide some m more clues. Please. What types of events are you having.

What data did you have to reduce your PS from 10 to 6?

How was the original 20/10 determined? Doctor prescribed or you determined the settings?

A general comment, very few user find flex of 3 in effective or uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, OSCAR doesn't put your data out anywhere, it just allows you (personally) to access the data that is already being gathered by your machine and then you can post a snapshot of what's going on as an image for us to help you with. But if you don't use a computer of any variety, then no, you can't download it, which limits us a little in what we can suggest.
Post Reply Post Reply
CW3GTC I hope that you are happy with your treatment.

Trying to help....the other posters are so knowledgable whereas I have so much to learn. I live in Ontario Canada. Treatment for OSA is primitive here. I've worn a mask and been compliant for over 30 years. Yet I never felt that the treatment made me feel more energetic and healthier. Well, maybe I could count the days when I was rested on the fingers of one hand.

Coming here made a difference for me. I've become my own advocate. Things have changed. Is it perfect? Nope. I'm looking for those things I may change or do to make my sleep quality improve.

I hope this helps. My story isn't important except to say the people here are knowledgable, helpful and send their time without being paid.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
You mention you hate ramp. If it's on, you can turn it off.

I would strongly encourage you to call your pulmonologist's office to get an earlier appointment. A week is a long time when you're struggling to breathe well. Lay it all out there to the office staff: your return home from the COVID ICU has not been good and you're afraid you'll need to go back into the hospital if this keeps up. And if you really feel yourself struggling to breathe, night or day, I'd recommend going to the ER. A lot of us are taught to tough things out, but that's not always the best approach.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 114 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 200 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,811 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Information NOTICE: New Clinician Manuals NOW AVAILABLE SuperSleeper 71 78,781 03-20-2024, 01:02 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 608 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.