Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High rate contribute to low Ahi?
High rate contribute to low Ahi?
Yesterday I had an Ahi of .6 but also a lot of leaks over 70%. Does this high rate contribute to my low Ahi?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High rate contribute to low Ahi?
(02-28-2016, 10:22 AM)yankees123 Wrote: Yesterday I had an Ahi of .6 but also a lot of leaks over 70%. Does this high rate contribute to my low Ahi?

Yes, it's possible. You can't trust your AHI numbers with such a high leak rate.

It's important that you address your leak issues and try to correct them.
Is it the mask leaking? Try liners, or a different mask.
Are you mouth breathing? Try a chin strap, or use the Tongue to roof of mouth technique.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are probably some people that can help you, if you can describe where the leaks were occurring. If not we can make guesses or give you some general guidelines for the mask that you are using.

The first thing is to make sure that you have the right size mask. It should seat well in the groove between your chin and lower lip with your mouth completely closed. At the same time the top of the mask should fit comfortably right under your brow. If the mask is a little shorter than this, it is not a problem. If the mask is longer than this, you need to get a smaller size set of cushions.

The Simplus mask has 2 minor weaknesses that I am aware of. First, it tends to leak into my eyes. Second, it is much easier to break the seal under your mouth by opening your mouth than some other full face masks. Several things help the first problem.

After you have donned the mask, move it back and forth using the upper straps and then the lower straps to center the mask and even out the strap tension. After you have done this and with the mask hooked up to the CPAP turn the CPAP on. Once you can feel that the pressure has built up reach up to the mask frame and pull the mask slightly away from your face. You should allow a little air to come out all around and then re-seat the mask on your face.

One more thing that I just learned from member Woozie is to pull your mask down towards your chin after everything else is set. you should be able to feel the seal tighten up a little on the bridge of your nose. If it will not stay engaged and tends to slip back, Woozie describes a fix for that at: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid152045.

Leaks from the chin area may occur without you feeling them or you might wake up with the seal in your mouth and air rushing out of your mouth. The only fix that I know of for this is to keep your mouth closed. Your significant other may have been trying to teach you this for some time now. Big Grin Now would be the time to learn. It might be helpful to employ a chin strap to aid in this effort.

Hope some of this may be of some help.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi yankees123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 70 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 286 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 349 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 333 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 108 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 129 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 939 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.