Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Higher Cpap pressures
Higher Cpap pressures
I have a Dreamstation and a Nuance nasal mask. I switched to a Nasal mask because of leakage around my full beard. I also wear a Responics chin strap to keep my mouth closed. The combination seems to work well so long as the cpap pressure remains at 11 or lower. If the machine climbs above a pressure of 11 it starts to inflate my cheeks and open my lips to expel the air and awakens me. Has anyone with a nasal mask found a resolution for this problem?
Thanks,
Tom McDowell
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Higher Cpap pressures
Borrowed from our Facebook editor. "Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing: Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars gently suck to form a light vacuum. Practicing during the day can help you to keep it at night."

The other way is to use tape over the lips.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It happened to me.  My solution was to shut down the CPAP, refit the mask then restart.  Once I was literally blowing air out my mouth I could not stop it.  Only restarting the CPAP solved my immediate problem.. Long term the "tongue on the roof of my mouth trick" is what finally resolved it.  I haven't had that problem for years.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the understanding that it can't be recommended, and certainly NOT for all people who experience mouth leakage, or who are mouth breathers, and for whom the tongue sucking technique does not work for some reason (can't be done properly due to morphology, or because it fails soon after falling asleep), taping may bring relief.  Or a chin strap.  Or, in some severe cases, both.  Even a foam cervical collar can make the difference.

I tape.  Did on Night #2, at the suggestion of my therapist, and I haven't looked back.  If you elect to try it for giggles, look for a plastic spool of 3M Corp's Nexcare white tape that is 2.5 cm wide, and you want the water-proof kind.  Fold a small tab over on itself at one end and use that to remove the tape when it comes time to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your help, will give it a try.
Tom

Thanks, I will also try the tape
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,432 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,734 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 540 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 355 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.