Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Higher Leaks = Better breathing during Daytime
Higher Leaks = Better breathing during Daytime
Have a strange problem for some time now that no Doctor so far has an answer for. I have been on therapy for 10 years. Last few years and more so recently I have had problems with breathing the next day after therapy. The symptoms are that I cannot get a full breath of air. When my leak rate is over 20 L/min I don't have the breathing problem after a night of therapy. My Equipment is a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto. Anyone ever experience this? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Higher Leaks = Better breathing during Daytime
Your profile indicates the VPAP Adapt ASV. I think it would be a really good idea to update to the latest version of OSCAR and consider posting a chart so we have a better idea of what your therapy looks like.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply and I have updated my machine type and other info. I use MyAir info which is uploaded each night and no SIM card to record data and get in to OSCAR. Not sure if I can even do that but will investigate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use any SD card sized from 2 to 32 GB and put it in the slot on the left side of the machine. The Oscar data has much better information than the MyAir. If you were using the VPAP Adapt to treat central or complex apnea, you should be aware the Vauto has no backup rate or capability to resolve central apnea and hypopnea, and can make it much worse. This could easily be the source of your problem, and is the reason you MUST look at more detailed data to determine the type of apnea or hypopnea that make up any events AHI. You can get this information to a degree, on-screen in your Sleep Report. MyAir is worthless for diagnostic or optimization purposes.

You can buy a SD card almost anywhere and they are cheap. Get a card, put it in the slot, get better. Note, the SD card must be in the slot during your therapy to record detailed data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Picking up on your statement about the SD card;  The SD card (not to be confused with a SIM card) is a standard over-the-counter item that may be purchased from most big box stores or pharmacies.  Any size 2 to 32 GB (gigabytes) in size will work.  The SD card does not have to be one from the CPAP manufacturer.  In fact, they just buy from a supplier and stick their name on them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2021, 10:15 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Use any SD card sized from 2 to 32 GB and put it in the slot on the left side of the machine. The Oscar data has much better information than the MyAir.  If you were using the VPAP Adapt to treat central or complex apnea, you should be aware the Vauto has no backup rate or capability to resolve central apnea and hypopnea, and can  make it much worse. This could easily be the source of your problem, and is the reason you MUST look at more detailed data to determine the type of apnea or hypopnea that make up any events AHI.  You can get this information to a degree, on-screen in your Sleep Report.  MyAir is worthless for diagnostic or optimization purposes.

You can buy a SD card almost anywhere and they are cheap. Get a card, put it in the slot, get better.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions as I have had these issues since moving 4 years ago and getting a new machine as I went on Medicare and was told I need a new Machine to get covered. My concerns of exactly what you describe has fallen on deaf ears here. I had 2 sleep studies after I moved and according to them I did not have CSA or hypopnea. This was even after I showed them my original Sleep report that stated I had the conditions. I was even told that a machine that exactly match my prior S-9 are not made anymore. Anyway rather than belaboring the questionable doctors and treatment where I am now I am going to follow your guidance and get a card, load OSCAR on my Mac and get to the bottom of this. It has been really frustrating these past 4 years. Thanks again for taking the time to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds like Dr. McQuack may have issued the wrong PAP if you had VPAP Adapt ASV and were then issued VAuto by this new doc at new location. They have misdiagnosed and issued the wrong machine. The new version you likely need is ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. Get the OSCAR and your old sleep studies in redacted form, add these to a post here. There's a real problem that lots of these sleep doctors go blind when it comes to needing ASV.

VPAP Adapt ASV and VAuto are not identical. Yes both treat Apnea, but ASV/Adapt ASV are for CA/Central Apnea and the VAuto is an auto BPAP without backup rate. Seriously bad mismatch it seems.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Listen, if you still have the VPAP Adapt, why not plug it in and use it. We can figure out where you stand with the Vauto and help you get the therapy you need, but don't continue using it until we can sort thing out. We have a lot of resources to help you, and can even point you to inexpensive source of ASV machines if you want to cut Medicare out of the process other than supplies.

Your doctors are likely incompetent. It is a common problem, that they refuse to acknowledge central and complex sleep apnea. They are clueless to anything but obstructive sleep disorders, and you must find a new care provider. We will work with you to prove your case, and get you properly treated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
If needed, doctor cannot see CA class is scheduled next week. Seriously, the data you have already is extremely important and can help us in helping you figure this out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW You guys are a godsend. I have attached my original first time sleep study and last nights data. I would rather medicare pay but to speed things up I can purchase a ASV machine myself. How would I get a prescription for a ASV without a local doctor or do you have a arrangement with a suppler? Also it was mentioned that I should not use my current machine. Please advise, Thanks again so much again as my 4 years of struggling may be coming to an end......

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   SleepStudy2013-1.pdf (Size: 819.58 KB / Downloads: 15)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,119 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 104 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 97 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.