Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hiking/Bikepacking with CPAP
Hiking/Bikepacking with CPAP
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with hiking and bikepacking with a CPAP machine? I have some questions for you.

What machine do you bring along?
What battery (batteries?) do you take?
What charging system do you use? Do you use solar panels, dynamo, or something else? Do you know how much power you need to produce in a day to cover the use of your machine, and how did you figure it out? My plans don't include going to places with powerpoints, so I need to rely on off-grid solutions.

I'm not too fussed about using it without a humidifier, so that's some power saved.

I looked at the Z1 Auto by Breas, and it looks like it'd be ideal, but I don't think it's (technically) available in Australia, and it is a lot of money to spend on something that I'll only use occasionally. https://www.breas.com/products/z1/z1-auto/ 

I probably have more questions, but I don't know it yet. I would love to hear your stories. Successes, failures, lessons learnt.

Many thanks!

KO
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hiking/Bikepacking with CPAP
Start with some basic questions:
What is the total duration of your longest trip?
What is your travel loading capacity and your bike/hike loading/travel capacity?
Will you establish a secure base camp where you can leave batteries to be charged? Will there be a vehicle at the base camp?
What is the likelihood of inclement weather issues, including cloudy days?
Can you go without CPAP for a few days, or is it a critical necessity?
What other electric devices (laptop, computer, etc) might also require charging?
Does your bike have a wheel-mounted generator that could be used for charging during the day?
Remember, some devices require a smartphone interface, and that also requires charging.
Did you see this? https://www.lovinglocal.com.au/controlli...i-machine/
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ultralight portable cpap kit for camping, hiking, motorcycle, snowmachine, rafting AvalancheinAK 6 3,300 09-29-2020, 01:14 PM
Last Post: CleanH20
Question [CPAP] Off-grid power supply for camping/hiking? LokoLobo 2 2,492 12-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.