Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hissing Problem with Eson mask/tube connector
Hissing Problem with Eson mask/tube connector
I am a newbie to the forum and to Sleep Apnea. I was diagnosed with complex sleep apnea and have an ASV machine.

I am experience trouble with a hissing sound at the point where the connector to the tube on my mask unit rotates. Is this common or a defect? The hissing sound goes away when I have the connector lined up perfectly perpendicular with my face. Therefore I find myself having to hold the tube in place throughout the night.

Thanks !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hissing Problem with Eson mask/tube connector
I'm going to assume you have a humidifier attached. There is a silicone seal that for all the world looks like a flying saucer with a hole in it to me. It fits on the lid of the humidifier at the outlet. It is removable and replaceable, but most important, make sure it is fully seated around the outlet. It must smoothly compress against the humidifier chamber when the lid closes. Supplier #1 sells this as a "Humidifier Elbow Seal for PR System One 60 and 50 Series Machines" for $5.06 plus shipping.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While the thread is waiting to be moved to the Main page...

I have no problem with my Eson mask and hose set, my APAP/CPAP machine is a Philips Dreamstation.

My thought is that the hissing should not be normal from any mask-hose setup.

The only air I hear from my mask is if I exhale strongly and air rushes through the filter on the connector elbow, or if I dislodge the mask enough for it to leak air around the seal against my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ockrocket,

You are correct that I have the same problem with leakage on one side of my mask or through the front filter when exhaling strongly. However at the connection point of the tube at the tube filter to my mask I am able to turn my mask assembly 360 degrees with ease. This is where I hear the hissing/air flow.

I am also trying to learn to keep my mask down further on my face which seems to help. However, the extra sound is aggravating as it happens almost every time I turn over and my tube slides out of a perfect perpendicular position.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2016, 06:20 PM)Southerngent1 Wrote: ... However at the connection point of the tube at the tube filter to my mask I am able to turn my mask assembly 360 degrees with ease. This is where I hear the hissing/air flow....

I believe those may be mask vents so you don't suffocate if the machine turns off (power outage, machine failure).

An option which might help is a white nose generator. This is a constant sound just loud enough to mask intermittent sound, and thus lets you ignore what is happening. I picked up an inexpensive one at Amazon.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If you use a DME company, I'd tell them your problem and get a new mask. I've been through 2 of that same mask and have not and any leaking around the swivel.
Good Luck!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2016, 07:53 PM)Beej Wrote: I believe those may be mask vents so you don't suffocate if the machine turns off (power outage, machine failure).

Beej: Not to put too fine a point on it...
The mask vents are to flush the mask of exhaled air when the machine is in operation. Since the F&P Eson is a nasal mask, it does not have an anti-asphyxia valve like those found on full face masks.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I just tested my Eson mask by moving the elbow around and trying to detect a change in sound. I did not detect any change in sound. Are you sure it's not really the seal to your face leaking when you move and the act of fixing the hose position resealing everything?

The Eson should be worn kind of loose as compared to other masks, too tight and the seal doesn't work well. Also, I find it very sensitive to facial oil so I wipe mine down with a scent free baby wipe before I put it on, makes all the difference in the world as far as the mask cushion sticking to your face to maintain seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mr. VW,

Yes, the leaking is around the "swivel". I also have some leakage at the point of the mask but I expected such. The leaking around the swivel is enough to wake up the wife at night.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine did not leak like that either. Get a replacment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 187 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,257 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,397 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 430 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 305 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 933 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 536 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.