Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hit Stuck Point - Need Help
Hit Stuck Point - Need Help
I'm two weeks into my DreamStation APAP therapy using a DreamWare nose cushion.  I've had some improvement in numbers, but not feeling any better sleep quality.  Essentially,after some cautious tweaking, I've gotten better AHI numbers and a consistent average, but not really better sleep.  Essentially here is the problem.  I always seem to awaken after about 4-5 hours.   My mouth and throat are painfully dry and my nose is congested.  I chew gum to get the saliva flowing to feel some relief as there is no way I could go back to sleep as dry as I am. The data for the first session seems good and, other than the mouth, throat and nasal dryness, I feel that my sleep was good.  I then try to go back to sleep and have gotten mixed results of less sound sleep and more awakenings with higher AHI numbers and I finally get up feeling not rested.  I have tried my DreamStation Humidifier on all heat settings with Adaptive set, with no different results that I can perceive. The pressures the APAP selects are higher in the later night. I have posted last night's results as an example.  I would appreciate your help as I'm not getting as much rest as I did before therapy.  BTW, my sleep study titration was 6.

[Image: o6PgCHGl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hit Stuck Point - Need Help
"My mouth and throat are painfully dry" means that you are mouth leaking.  You are opening your mouth while asleep and a large volume of air is rushing out and drying out your mouth and throat.  In addition to being unpleasant, it will affect your therapy and lead to dental problems long term.

There are a few options to try.  One course of action is to use a chin strap or soft cervical collar to keep your mouth closed.  The other is to switch to a full-face mask (FFM) which covers your mouth and nose.  You may still get some dryness.  Other people have tried using medical tape to keep their mouths closed.  That did not appeal to me and I was afraid that my wife would want me to do it while I was awake too.   Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also bring your min up to 6, likely to more later, try it and see what happens to your Hypopneas.

Try a room Humidifier in addition to Chill's hints.
I used tape a while ago. I made sure I could open my mouth when taped, just in case. That did prevent air escape thru the mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2017, 07:27 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would also bring your min up to 6, likely to more later,  try it and see what happens to your Hypopneas.

I used tape a while ago.  I made sure I could open my mouth when taped, just in case.  That did prevent air escape thru the mouth.

Bonjour

How did you make sure you could open your mouth?  If it was taped?
Post Reply Post Reply
Rwhipley, if you look at my signature it shows how to post those screenshot images on Imgur. You did okay on the screenshot but as an attachment, it is too small to read...at least for these older eyes. Also, be sure to highlight both sessions. As you can see, only the later shorter session at the bottom of the left column is highlighted. That will let us see the full night and any reasons for the break in therapy. My final request is that you use a non-animated avatar in your profile. It's a personal problem of mine, I just hate that character sticking his head out of the box to look around. ANYthing would be better.

Once I can actually read that graph, I'll be more than glad to try and help. Impressions are that the leak rate is not awful, and your minimum pressure is way too low for a Respironics machine. Move your minimum pressure up to at least 6.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2017, 07:42 PM)RWhipkey Wrote:
(01-23-2017, 07:27 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would also bring your min up to 6, likely to more later,  try it and see what happens to your Hypopneas.

I used tape a while ago.  I made sure I could open my mouth when taped, just in case.  That did prevent air escape thru the mouth.

Bonjour

How did you make sure you could open your mouth?  If it was taped?
Simple,  I tested it while awake.  Your jaw is one of your strongest muscles, Tape it, then open your mouth,  I could so I taped.  That stopped leaks and I felt safe.  You are not trying to keep your mouth shut, you are trying to keep from blowing air out of your mouth, a slight difference.  The tape is just to seal the air in.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2017, 07:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Rwhipley, if you look at my signature it shows how to post those screenshot images on Imgur.  You did okay on the screenshot but as an attachment, it is too small to read...at least for these older eyes.  Also, be sure to highlight both sessions.  As you can see, only the later shorter session at the bottom of the left column is highlighted.  That will let us see the full night and any reasons for the break in therapy.  My final request is that you use a non-animated avatar in your profile.  It's a personal problem of mine, I just hate that character sticking his head out of the box to look around.  ANYthing would be better.

Once I can actually read that graph, I'll be more than glad to try and help. Impressions are that the leak rate is not awful, and your minimum pressure is way too low for a Respironics machine.  Move your minimum pressure up to at least 6.

Sleeprider

Thanks so much for the offer to help.  Avatar changed.  I will reply again soon with, I hope, better screenshots.  I have to figure out what I did incorrectly.  My minimum pressure is 6.5 now; perhaps it should go even higher.  I'll wait until you can get a chance to study the graphs.  First session AHI was 1.61!  Be back to you soon.  BTW, I must solve the mouth breathing issue, perhaps a FFM or even Bonjour's taping idea.

Thanks again; back with new screenshots soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Love the new Avatar, and I'm a fan. The back-story on this is when Octrocket became an Advisory Member I made the same request. We might not be far apart geographically as I'm next door in Westmoreland County. Looks like you guys might see some snow this week. I appreciate your efforts to up-size the graphs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider

Back with first screenshot:

[Image: m4WuHJzl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
And the second:

[Image: o6PgCHGl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI stuck around 10 PercyA 3 193 02-28-2024, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Stuck SD card Old Steve 6 444 01-16-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 272 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
  Single Point Low O2 Data mcman56 1 253 11-16-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The point of CPAP Machine explained ? Gregsleep 6 645 10-20-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Stuck on REM simplified example no much talk sleepyzzz 4 636 07-31-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  [Treatment] Stuck in Timed Mode? jeffpack1957 13 879 03-07-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.