Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hiya!
RE: Hiya!
Hi Stroppy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just make sure that you get a data-capable machine. Being able to see your data will tell you what goes on each night with your sleep as you probably know.
Best of luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
17 cm H2O is on the high side as things go - I don't think I've ever been above 14. Leaks are harder to deal with at higher pressures.

But to put it into perspective - that's 1/60th (less than 2%) of atmospheric pressure at sea level. Another one of the many "I wish they'd told me that at the sleep lab" items. About 1/4 psi - a pretty flat tire by most standards, yet on the high side to treat apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 11:23 AM)Stroppy Wrote: Is 17cm a very high pressure? It certainly felt like it. Like I said, I felt like I was breathing against the pressure of a balloon.
17 getting close to the top end as far as CPAP goes, bi-levels can go higher and should be considered if you,re experiencing problems breathing out against pressure and for pressure above 15 according to American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM)

ResMed S9 is the only CPAP provide pressure support during exhalation plus can distinguish between obstructive and central apnea, uses SD card, and supported by two free software ... you cannot do better than ResMed S9 AutoSet or S9 Elite (avoid Escape and Escape Auto models at any price). PRS1 Auto and Pro models come close but their pressure relief is not exact as the S9

What are the advantages of AutoSet devices?
AutoSet devices adjust pressure on a breath-by-breath basis to suit patient needs as they change throughout the night. As a result, patients receive the minimum pressure required for effective therapy. The lower average pressures improve comfort, reduce pressure-related side effects, and lead to more consistent use of therapy.
Read more (you might find answers to a lots of your questions too) http://www.resmed.com/au/service_and_sup...c=patients

Icon CPAP does not have exhale pressure relief (have something called SenseAwake but that is totally different
Icon Novo is not data capable machine

From http://www.resmed.com/au/patients_and_fa...elief.html
(same apply to the S9) - EPR (expiratory pressure relief)
When you breathe out (exhale), the S8 flow generator device (if EPR is integrated) detects the beginning of exhalation and reduces motor speed to drop treatment pressure. The patient or clinician chooses one of three comfort levels to determine the degree by which pressure will drop.

Setting 1 = mild comfort (1 cm H20)
Setting 2 = medium comfort (2 cm H20)
Setting 3 = maximum comfort (3 cm H20)

The difference between inhale pressure and exhale pressure on bi-levels machines is called pressure support can be set higher than 3

Ask the doctor for copies of the sleep studies and go through the results with you in details so you know the full facts, AHI, oxygen desats, sleep stages, sleeping positions, etc ...
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the best results with the Autoset mode and the EPR of 3. My CA dropped significantly as well at the other events when I used the EPR full time and setting of 3. The last 4 nights my AHI has been, 2.4 - EPR 1, 0.61 - EPR 2, 0.24 - EPR 3 and 0.45 - EPR 3. But, what works for me may not work for you.

I have the Auto range just outside what the Autoset determined to be the max and min.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who have replied. You have made me feel really welcome and also removed my self-consciousness about talking about all the apnoea-related problems I've been having, especially the nightly toilet treks (5 to 6 times a night!).

The reason why I am going for the F&P machine is that I can get a significant discount on the machine but if you guys think it is not the best option then I am open to looking at the Resmed device. Me, I just want to get a machine ASAP because I really noticed a difference the morning after having been connected to a CPAP machine for the first time in my life during my second sleep study. I woke up feeling great and had tons of energy! Now I am back to being a big fat sleepy head who falls asleep in front of the tv at the drop of a hat. I really must get that machine!

Having commenced this "journey" has made me convinced that more needs to be done to advertise the ill-effects of this condition and to advise that people who are experiencing poor quality sleep should be tested. We have PSAs for much more benign conditions but not for OSA and this is something that needs to change.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2014, 07:42 AM)Stroppy Wrote: Thanks to all who have replied. You have made me feel really welcome and also removed my self-consciousness about talking about all the apnoea-related problems I've been having, especially the nightly toilet treks (5 to 6 times a night!).

The reason why I am going for the F&P machine is that I can get a significant discount on the machine but if you guys think it is not the best option then I am open to looking at the Resmed device. Me, I just want to get a machine ASAP because I really noticed a difference the morning after having been connected to a CPAP machine for the first time in my life during my second sleep study. I woke up feeling great and had tons of energy! Now I am back to being a big fat sleepy head who falls asleep in front of the tv at the drop of a hat. I really must get that machine!

Having commenced this "journey" has made me convinced that more needs to be done to advertise the ill-effects of this condition and to advise that people who are experiencing poor quality sleep should be tested. We have PSAs for much more benign conditions but not for OSA and this is something that needs to change.

Yep Stroppy, the important thing is getting you started. If you're having to buy this out of pocket check your local Craigslist for machines with low mileage. A lot of people (A LOT of people) get these things, use them for a couple hours for a few days, and stick them on the closet shelf. That might just allow you to get started at a reasonably cost very quickly. Also, we keep a list of suppliers here that offer quality used machines.

I wouldn't use a used mask without thoroughly cleaning out the other guys bugg....... oh yuck. Well, let's just say I would order my own mask from someplace and pay extra to get it quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Retired Guy is right again, ck Craig's List or whatever you have over there for used equipment. My DME sold me a brick (unable to download full data) machine. After learning here that it was in my best interest to be able to track and at least see what's going on each night I found a S9 Autoset for $350 that had been used very little and have not looked back. The autopap machine is best but before I went without I'd buy a cheap used cpap ($100 range) and have it as a spare until the auto was found. As you state you need it bad I wouldn't wait out any red tape if they are not getting it done.
Once more good luck
Doc J (not a doctor just a nickname)
Post Reply Post Reply
R_G and Doc...I hear you. The problem over here is that you can't just go and buy a machine because no one will sell you one without a script. I could buy online but the problem is that the private health insurers won't pay a rebate for a privately purchased machine from an online supplier. Our situation is different to yours in the States. The private health insurers leave the choice of machine to you and they have a set formula to provide a rebate for some (not all) of the cost. You guys have amazingly cheaper prices for machines than we do and, for the life of me, I don't know why. It has very little to do with currency value and a lot to do with being a captive market that suppliers can rip off. We also pay more for many other things, including cars and many electronic items.

I will buy my main machine from the "official suppliers" to get me started BUT I am going to buy a cheaper second hand or new machine online from the States. I just need to make sure that the power supply is adjustable for our 240v outlets. I've heard tell that the Chinese are also now making a reasonable CPAP machine that comes as a kit with the humidifier and hose. You can get one of those units for about $600 (AU). I think the brand is BMC.

P.S...R_G. I'm with you as regards a "used" mask....EEEK! I think a new one would be the best bet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Stroppy, have you checked out our supplier list? http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d=31#pid31

I just noticed one of them that has gently used Resmed S9 Autoset's for $819.00 U.S. (That's $24.95 Australian I think... Maybe a tad more.........) Anyhow, Zonk's more knowledgeable about these suppliers than I am as far as ordering from Australia, but I believe many have had good results doing that.

Post Reply Post Reply
I,m with Bupa, they pay $500 towards the machine and nothing for anything else ... shame on them

I only speak for myself (sometimes to myself ... just ask SS Too-funny ) would forgo the lousy rebate and run all the way to USA and get the machine and all the accessories of my choice and have money left for a holiday or whatever

Suppliers #10 and #2 ship to Australia, order today and the machine should arrive by next week. No point getting some Chinese or basic non-data capable machine, just to claim the rebate
Machines are multi-volatge, you only need plug adapter, in case of the S9, an S8 power cord ($9) from Supplier #13
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Grin Hiya! Cricket, here! Cricket D 21 2,817 03-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Cricket D

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.