Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hmmm...Is this common?
RE: Hmmm...Is this common?
(10-02-2013, 05:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Personally, I would not deal with a DME that did not allow me to try out masks. It's like the Chevy dealer letting you look at the cars but not test drive any.

I completely agree with you but my hands are tied to a certain extent as there are very little DME's available to me
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 05:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Personally, I would not deal with a DME that did not allow me to try out masks. It's like the Chevy dealer letting you look at the cars but not test drive any.

In my case, local DME #1 will let you test drive....but they break out their #1 pick, you try it, you take it home and try it, if it is a "no" you bring it back and they open #2 and the cycle repeats.

What local DME #2 has going seems to work pretty dang good....I eliminated several weeks of trying, driving back-and-forth, paying for parking etc. by being able to go for an hour and get at least a rudimentary testing of the masks done (sitting in the driver's seat and taking them for "a little drive around the lot" to keep the car analogy going) before taking the first preference for a full test drive.

Me50. it does certainly suck that you don't have a DME close and that they don't "test drive" the masks better. Do they at least have a return policy so if it isn't the right one, you are in the same sort of boat as my local DME #1?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 06:03 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:

In my case, local DME #1 will let you test drive....but they break out their #1 pick, you try it, you take it home and try it, if it is a "no" you bring it back and they open #2 and the cycle repeats.

What local DME #2 has going seems to work pretty dang good....I eliminated several weeks of trying, driving back-and-forth, paying for parking etc. by being able to go for an hour and get at least a rudimentary testing of the masks done (sitting in the driver's seat and taking them for "a little drive around the lot" to keep the car analogy going) before taking the first preference for a full test drive.

Me50. it does certainly suck that you don't have a DME close and that they don't "test drive" the masks better. Do they at least have a return policy so if it isn't the right one, you are in the same sort of boat as my local DME #1?

My DME was like #1 above - 30 days to return *any* mask (no refund) but full credit towards a new mask (but the original 30 day clock is still ticking) - could not try on any mask willi-nilly, had to land on one based on what you and they said, and go from there.

Plus, the pricing for cash was *higher* than what they charged insurance - roughly double what a given mask goes for online (but they won't give you the service we will) - what service?

In some 14+ years I never met a DME I didn't dislike for some reason or another - and I love Amazon and a listed vendor too...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 06:03 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:

You can return one mask at no charge and pick another one. I don't know what happens after that if the 2nd mask doesn't work. They also billed my insurance company for a mask I never got as I sent it back in the same box it came in and the box and packaging was unopened. I was told they would not bill my insurance company but they did. That is what happens when they know that the DME pickings are slim
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to complain to your congressmen every time you get screwed by medicare. Nothing will change unless enough voters complain.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok...update time. Got a statement from my insurance saying that they had paid out DME1 for a full face...just before I pulled the trigger at DME2 on a Quattro Air. So, I decided to chat with the owner at DME1.

Turns out a chunk of my frustration was communication related...right now, there is a Quattro Air and Simplus coming for me to try. The QA should be here in the next day or two (it was ordered, but timelines hadn't been conveyed) and the Simplus shortly after...I'll get to try the next size up QA (I'm in between sizes) and the Simplus before making my final choice.

Still nice to have DME2 in the back pocket, though Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A common unknown cause of obstructive sleep apnea Gideon 2 1,089 05-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Illorum
  How common is it to suffer episodes of delirium from sleep deprivation? NoddingHacker 4 936 05-10-2020, 05:16 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Palpitations/shortness of breath common with APAP treatment? photolabrat 20 2,509 04-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
Question Common Issues w/ CPAP Use? kyokoyama 32 5,264 05-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Last Post: gwc2795
  [Equipment] Common to switch between nasal and full-face mask as needed? Creosote 22 4,132 05-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  What is Common Practice FrankNichols 17 3,261 03-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  How common is it to take months to get AHI under 5.0? TheManseHen 20 8,858 03-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Zeddy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.