Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Holden versus Ford (ResMed v Philips Respironics)
RE: Holden versus Ford
(11-10-2013, 03:53 AM)vsheline Wrote: I have the older S9 VPAP Adapt on which the Pressure Support auto-adjusts but EPAP is fixed (model# 36007), not like the PRS1 ASV machine and the new S9 VPAP Adapt (model# 36037) which can auto-adjust the EPAP as well as auto-adjust the Pressure Support.

I think the ResMed machine (model# 36037) is less adjustable and therefore more of a "One Size Fits Most" machine, but also simpler to use and less likely to have its settings messed up by clinician or user error.

Looking back at this post prompted me to check my own machine - it's a model 36377 with "Pacewave". I looked it up on the Resmed site and Pacewave looks like a magic bullet. I need to do some more research on it, and I don't know how it compares with the Philips equivalent, but I know it works well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I,m using plain CPAP. I have not used PRS1 machines but being computer illiterate would not consider anything other than S9 machine because of the quality of data reported on the LCD screen
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed vs. Philips Respironics
Just an observation...

I noticed that the members here on ApneaBoard seem to favor the ResMed S9 vs. the PRS1.

Why do you think that is?
Post Reply Post Reply
JohnNJ, not sure if there is an answer to that question, I got mine before I joined any sites, I just asked for the best machine no matter the cost and one that was the quietest with no lights and looked Ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use ResMed S9 machine because I like the data reported on LCD screen especially unintentional leak
ResMed proud themselves of being Australian company but at the same time ripping us off ... Shame on them

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had both Respironics and Resmed machines. For me, it seems like the Resmed machine is a bit gentler in it's delivery and looks a little less like a medical device because of it's sleak design, but that's just my take, YMMV and of course the design comment doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things when it comes to performance.
They are both comparable machines.
Good luck to you on your decision.
Edit: I thought I'd tell you in case you are curious, the only difference between the "For Her" moddle of the Resmed S9AutoSet is the color, the Silver Resmed S9AutoSet is the same machine as the pink one, just the cases are different colors..
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to be in control of my health which is why I'm here. If these machines were a few hundred instead of close to $1,000 I would just buy a few and try them out. Unfortunately, I have to choose wisely the first time and only based on one nights use and what I've read online.

Some of the PRS1 info I've read - US made, easier/quicker to get repaired and get parts, dishwasher safe humidifier, hose attached on top with swivel and the mask I used during the sleep test was comfortable. But the S9 is easier delivering the air, has better reporting, smaller, better design.

There's other stuff I can't remember right now but you get it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2013, 06:53 PM)JohnNJ Wrote: Some of the PRS1 info I've read - US made, easier/quicker to get repaired and get parts, dishwasher safe humidifier, hose attached on top with swivel and the mask I used during the sleep test was comfortable. But the S9 is easier delivering the air, has better reporting, smaller, better design.

There's other stuff I can't remember right now but you get it.

I've never used a PRS1, so am far from a reliable source for comparison; but here are some points to consider:

-Dishwasher safe humidifier chambers are available for the S9.
-The hose attachment point on the S9 is a pain...it should be in front or at the top like PRS1.
-PRS1 is a little more reasonably priced.
-I don't think you can change the internal clock on PRS1...you can on S9.
-S9 reports unintentional leak, PRS1 reports total leak and you have to do the math yourself.
-I'm not sure about the size difference; but wouldn't say one has a better design than the other - they are just designed a little different.

I think many of us are more biased toward model (System One and AutoSet) than brand (ResMed or PR). I would be happy with a PRS1 Auto, but very unhappy with S9 Escape Auto. The only reason I chose S9 AutoSet over PRS1 is because the crooked DME that tried to stick me with the S9 Escape Auto had to take the PAP back (because it was a rental agreement), but wouldn't take the H5i humidifier back because it was purchased outright. It just made sense to buy the machine I already had a humidifier to fit. Once you get started with a brand it is hard to switch because of accessory incompatibility (Humidifier, tanks, heated hoses, filters etc.)

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2013, 09:09 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Looking back at this post prompted me to check my own machine - it's a model 36377 with "Pacewave". I looked it up on the Resmed site and Pacewave looks like a magic bullet. I need to do some more research on it, and I don't know how it compares with the Philips equivalent, but I know it works well for me.

Hi DeepBreathing,

I now see that ResMed model numbers vary by region.

http://www.resmed.com/us/contact_us/chan...=contactus

If your machine has the ASVauto mode then I suspect your model 36377 would have same algorithm and capabilities as USA&Canada model 36037.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked at the LL what they thought of the difference between the two machines discussed, and their take was that it was pretty much six of one, half a dozen of the other - the Philips is the better one for detailed data, some find the Resmed quieter (although some report the sound to be very high pitched), but overall it comes down to personal experience. Both machines work pretty much the same way when it comes to "breathing" with you, and in both cases it is you learning to adjust to the machine's methods than the other way around. On the whole the Philips is preferred here due to the better data differentiation and retention, but they feel that it is ultimately no real difference (they extend that to certain other manufacturers as well) and that any perceived difference is an individual one of the patient. As they put it - Mac or PC..... if it does the job, and you are happy with it, then that's all that counts.

As for Holden vs, Ford? William Holden was the better actor IMHO, but I have a soft spot for Glenn Ford. I'll take both, any day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,957 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,807 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,804 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,882 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 471 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,215 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 263 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.