Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home Sleep Study Interpretation
Home Sleep Study Interpretation
Hi All -
I did one of those studies you order online and they ship to your house. Below is the result summary. I have not started therapy yet, but I have a Resmed AirCurve 10 Vauto.
What are your thoughts? Is it a mistake to use that machine? Should I get an APAP instead?

Interpretation
Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea with evidence of significant Central Apnea and an AHI of 51.6.
Patient had evidence of hypoxia with an average saturation of 87% and a lowest saturation of 68%. Patient had no evidence of Cheyne-Stokes respirations and an average heart rate of 82 bpm.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. Auto-CPAP with CPAP related supplies and an APAP with pressures ranging from 4-20 cm and close CPAP compliance to r/o complex breathing with CPAP or Auto-BIPAP or ASV with related supplies and an IPAP with pressures ranging from 4-25 cm and a pressure support with pressures ranging from 2-8 cm.
2. Overnight oximetry on APAP to r/o hypoxia with APAP.
3. Caution with drinking, driving, or operating heavy machinery with untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Home Sleep Study Interpretation
Hi jasbur!  -  Welcome

You can make the VAuto act like an APAP, so don't worry about that.   The item that I see that may be the problem, is your Clear Airways (CAs) being reported as significant.   In that case, the preferred CPAP used to treat CAs is an Auto Servo Ventilator (ASV).  

Do you have a copy of the detailed sleep test, complete with a statistical breakdown?  If so, posting a redacted copy here may help.  By redacted, I mean blocking out your name and any other personal information.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would want to see the report itself, not just the summary.

First and foremost. You have a significant oxygen problem. Start with the VAuto tonight
4-25 PS=3. Mode=Auto. We will use the results as a baseline

Get a recording oximeter compatible with OSCAR,. Your O2 SATs are significant, let's make sure the VAuto corrects them, it should.

The report stayed "significant" central Apnea. That is not common. We don't know what significant means . The report suggested a variety of machines including an ASV. This is so unusual I feel you need to get an ASV. These "significant" centrals are most likely idiopathic meaning of unknown cause which again indicates the need for an ASV.

Actions,
Start the VAuto tonight.
Get an oximeter
Get the full copy of the HST report, including the graphics.
Follow-up with your doctor. Primary goal, an inland sleep study that includes an ASV titration to prove efficacy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for taking the time!

I actually did 2 different tests. One with the Resmed ApneaLink and one with the NightOwl.
Hopefully these can be copied/pasted as I can't post links yet...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/moewd1sq3p0kso...0.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvvmpkgaafccqa...2.pdf?dl=0
Post Reply Post Reply
I fixed the links. The Nightowl sleep study did not differentiate between obstructive or central apnea. The Resmed Airview report shows OSA at 15.9, CSA at 6.3 and mixed apnea at 2.5. CPAP or the Vauto should certainly help to suppress and mitigate all obstructive events. There is really not other way to gauge how effective the therapy will be, or if it will increase your central events, until you try it, and work to optimize results. Some people succeed with CPAP or VPAP, and others have an increased central event with the ventilation provided by positive air pressure, and end up needing a more advanced therapy that can actually treat central events with a breath-by-breath pressure support provided by and Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV).

If you got the Vauto, that is the best possible therapy device for obstructive apnea and hypopnea, and has some useful features for mixed apnea. We will work with you to optimize the therapy. It may be worth getting a recording oximeter to monitor blood oxygen at night. They are not very expensive and we would hope to see considerable improvement in SpO2 with PAP therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All -
I have data from my first night. Unfortunately it's not great data, as I am on-call for work and was interrupted in the middle of sleep for awhile.
I obviously don't know much about this data but I do see that huge drop in o2 at the beginning. I'm hoping that is just a fluke.
Hopefully I can get better data tonight.

dropbox.com/s/v2wldcviw2zkr0p/Oscar%20Night%201.pdf?dl=0
Post Reply Post Reply
When posting Oscar. Use F12 button to take a screenshot and then post using the button at the bottom of the post. To put in the correct charts see my signature.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'll add a screenshot now (hopefully this post gives me enough posts to let me add a picture)   Smile

No luck, here's the dropbox location of the screenshot:
dropbox.com/s/xrags699zk6fh0o/screenshot-20210708-130627.png?dl=0

[Image: p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5]
Post Reply Post Reply
Once again, linked your image. You can attach images as a new member.

You are getting pretty good results on the Vauto considering the mixed sleep apnea. Obstructive events are clearly much improved over your sleep study with only 1.5 per hour and CA events are at 3. Between 3:30 and 6:00 you had a very quiet, uneventful sleep, and then the CA kicked up a bit. It appears the low pressure of 8.0/5.0 during this time was both effective and comfortable. As events began after 6:00, pressure rose and appears to have increased the CA events. Based on this, I'd like to limit maximum IPAP pressure to 10.0. This will deliver a smaller range of pressure from 7.0/4.0 to 10.0/7.0. This should continue to be effective in controlling obstructive events, and may avoid over-ventilation which makes CA events more prevalent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2021, 12:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Once again, linked your image. You can attach images as a new member.

You are getting pretty good results on the Vauto considering the mixed sleep apnea. Obstructive events are clearly much improved over your sleep study with only 1.5 per hour and CA events are at 3.  Between 3:30 and 6:00 you had a very quiet, uneventful sleep, and then the CA kicked up a bit.  It appears the low pressure of 8.0/5.0 during this time was both effective and comfortable.  As events began after 6:00, pressure rose and appears to have increased the CA events.  Based on this, I'd like to limit maximum IPAP pressure to 10.0. This will deliver a smaller range of pressure from 7.0/4.0 to 10.0/7.0.  This should continue to be effective in controlling obstructive events, and may avoid over-ventilation which makes CA events more prevalent.

Thanks for the input! I'll give the recommendations a try tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 85 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 221 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 75 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 529 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.