Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat
RE: Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat
Hey everyone - still doing really well.  Getting much better sleep with good SpO2 sats and starting to feel like myself again.

I wanted to relay some info from my referral pulmonology appointment this week.  It was an interesting appointment where the doctor said that there's nothing wrong with my lungs (yay!), and that he thinks I have a higher AHI than indicated on the home sleep study and that's what was causing the desats.  However, he wasn't willing to advocate for insurance coverage without sending me for an expensive in-lab sleep study, so I politely told him no thank you and moved on.

The funny thing was that I took in my data card from the CPAP and he had his assistant run a report - and that report was pointless!  It was a one page summary listing the settings and a compliance chart showing the AHI for each day of the past month.  That's it.  Nothing useful.  When I started mentioning the "full data", he gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look, so I stopped talking.  It wasn't worth the breath.

His feedback was that my primary care doctor (who was supportive but very skeptical of the CPAP treatment to fix the desats) gets a gold star for putting me on CPAP and apparently selecting the correct settings on her first try!
Oh-jeez Dielaughing 

He wants me back in a year to check the settings and make sure they're still correct.  Rolleyes
A year.  Can you imagine going a full year if the settings weren't working right.  That's a recipe for quitting treatment, right there.  That was the last straw for me.  I won't be seeing him in a year, that's for sure.  

So....to everyone on this board who helped me build an effective argument to convince my pcp to write the CPAP prescription, and then followed up with guidance on how to get the settings right...you all get a gold star from the pulmonologist.  

Big Grin 

And you get a big thank you from me.  Truly, you have all improved my life.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Yup a yearly checkup surely keeps your PAP therapy on track. He makes the big boat payments and can't be bothered more than yearly. Would telling Dr. Dolittle to hold his breath till next visit be cruel and unusual punishment?

Anyway glad the therapy is on track. Check in next year... Or if an issue crops up.

Coffee
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. LOL And I thought things were bad here. At least the sleep clinic actually LOOK at the extended data and contact me regularly to make sure things are working (as well as providing phone and email support too). Shame my doctor is still AWOL TWO MONTHS after agreeing he needed to speak to me. *rolls eyes*

I'm so glad everything is working out for you now though. Congrats!

See my comparison of Viatom/Wellue and CMS50F oximeters here.

Not a doctor, definitely not your doctor, all advice is given as-is and represents simply my own understanding as a fellow patient and OSCAR user.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2021, 11:54 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: When I was de-sating, my body compensated by making more red blood cells to transport oxygen. "Long-term exposure to low oxygen levels causes secondary polycythemia. A lack of oxygen over a long period can cause your body to make more of the hormone erythropoietin (EPO). High levels of EPO can prompt your body to make more red blood cells than normal." The treatment is removing a pint of blood on a regular schedule to prevent clumping which may cause a heart attack.

I am curious about this as my labs always show slightly elevated hematocrit, rbc, and hemoglobin. I also live in 6200 feet altitude. If it’s slightly elevated is that bad too?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Came home to a surprise tonight! speed3914 6 297 09-15-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Low AHI, High RERA (Sleep Study) vs CPAP Reports Qine 1 149 09-15-2021, 02:39 PM
Last Post: factor
  [Diagnosis] Sleep study at home ajwees41 4 90 09-13-2021, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  At Home Sleep Apnea Tests gregfrey 17 528 09-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Last Post: 79tarheel
  Sleep study on mouth breather -- how do those nasal canulas tell you ANYTHING?!? cathyf 5 257 08-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: NelsonM
  Results from the Sleep Study sleephd 2 190 08-21-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 274 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.