Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home Sleep Study Results - Opinions?
Home Sleep Study Results - Opinions?
Hi Folks -

Well, finally received the results for my home study sleep apnea test. As I figured, I have severe sleep apnea and will be buying an S9 and Quattro mask soon.

My AHI is 39 events, RI is 43 and ODI is 24.

What is RI?

I was not happy to see the resting heart pulse go from 53 average to 107 pulses during some events.

The oxygen level went as low as 83% and snoring showed 334 events.

Breathing stopped for as long as ~ 40-60 seconds. Yikes!

The doctor thought the central apnea was low enough, but I see 59 CA events at 41% of the time - what's with that? Am I reading this right?

I'd be curious to see what some of you think of the results and if anything pops out. I need to understand the finer points of the study.

I was told most of the problem was when I was sleeping on my back - and I was close to nomal on my side. Maybe that's why I did OK sleeping on my side with a dental guard for the last few weeks. However, it feels like the apnea effects are coming back lately, just as untreated sleep apnea seems to do.

Thoughts?

Tommy C

Sleep Apnea Test Results:
-------------------------

Height: 5 ft 10 in
Weight: 179.00 lbs
BMI: 25.7 kg/m²

Recording Evaluation

Date: 7/25/2012
Start: 10:00 PM . Start: 10:10 PM .
End: 8:02 AM . End: 8:00 AM .
Duration: 10 h 3 min Duration: 3 h 54 min
* See Clinical Guide for abbreviations and ResMed standard parameters

Analysis (Flow evaluation period: 3 h 54 min / SpO2 evaluation period: 9 h 49 min)

Indices Normal Result

AHI*: 39 < 5 / h Average breaths per minute [bpm]: 8.30
RI*: 43 < 5 Breaths: 1941
Apnea index: 37 < 5 / h
Apneas: 144
UAI: 0 Unclassified apneas: 1 (1%)
OAI: 22 Obstructive apneas: 84 (58%)
CAI: 15 Central apneas: 59 (41%)
MAI: 0 Mixed apneas: 0 (0%)
Hypopnea index: 2 < 5 / h
Hypopneas: 9
% Flow lim. Br. without Sn (FL): 41 < Approx.
60 Flow lim. Br. without Sn (FL): 794
% Flow lim. Br. with Sn (FS): 1 < Approx. 40 Flow lim. Br. with Sn (FS): 15
Snoring events: 334
ODI Oxygen Desaturation Index*:24 < 5 / h No. of desaturations: 235
Average saturation: 94 94% - 98% Saturation £ 90% : 21 min (4%)
Lowest desaturation: 85 - Saturation £ 85% : 0 min (0%)
Lowest saturation: 83 90% - 98% Saturation £ 80% : 0 min (0%)
Baseline Saturation: 98 % Saturation £ 89% : 12 min (2%)
Saturation £ 88% : 5 min (1%)
Minimum pulse: 40 > 40 bpm
Maximum pulse: 107 < 90 bpm
Average pulse: 53 bpm
Proportion of probable CS epochs: 0 0%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Home Sleep Study Results - Opinions?
The wiki has an acronym page: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

I think RI is respiratory index.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ance_index

That number after Central events means you had 15 of them. I would assume that the 59 is the total seconds maybe? On the report, does it have names for the columns?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula,

The columns are labeled:

Indices - Normal - Result

Unfortunately, the posting format does not hold the columns intact.

Just ordered an S9 and Quattro, so will become an official auto-hosehead in a few days... The "remote" web doc recommended an S9 set at 4-20 cm/H20.

More info: [not sure what this all means]

Patient complaints of: ICD-9
Daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia, unspecified) 780.54
Other
Other

[Doc's comments:]

Co-morbid diagnoses: ICD-9
Essential hypertension 401
CHF 428.0
Diabetes mellitus 250.0
Cardiovascular disease 429.2
Other
Other
Note: Only AHI and Cheyne Stokes probability are a result of the ApneaLink calculation

T
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2012, 06:10 PM)Tommy C Wrote: Just ordered an S9 and Quattro, so will become an official auto-hosehead in a few days... The "remote" web doc recommended an S9 set at 4-20 cm/H20.
Congrats Make sure its the S9 AutoSet not S9 Escape Auto. 4-20 is the default setting which usually used to titrate people for the first time who did not had a titration study in sleep lab and after a short time it could be narrowed down. Take a look at the S9 AutoSet review at the products review forum...There are some useful info and links you might want to explore.
My O2 desat similar to yours but when used the machine it gone up to high 90s

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2012, 06:48 PM)zonk Wrote: Make sure its the S9 AutoSet not S9 Escape Auto. My O2 desat similar to yours but when used the machine it gone up to high 90s

Zonk,

Yes, it is an Autoset S9. I will check out the links. Thanks.

How is O2 desat measured/calculated? I would think a direct blood sample is needed to do it accurately. So instead, does the software make an estimate based on a breathing algorithm? IE, if breathing stops, does it estimate how much O2 has depleted based on how much time has elapsed - calculated for the average person?

T
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tommy C, It has been very interesting reading the information from your home study, thank you for sharing it. CONGRATULATIONS on your (soon to be,) new machine. Keep us posted on how you go with it, best of luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The finger probe thingy uses a light that shines into the finger and, through magic, can tell the blood oxygen level. It has a few seconds delay but is quite accurate.

Supplier #19 has O2 meters at decent prices. In the review section (of this site), there's reviews of several different models. You may like seeing your O2 levels as you go along.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2012, 09:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The finger probe thingy uses a light that shines into the finger and, through magic, can tell the blood oxygen level. It has a few seconds delay but is quite accurate.

Supplier #19 has O2 meters at decent prices. In the review section (of this site), there's reviews of several different models. You may like seeing your O2 levels as you go along.

Trish,

Oh, yes, I remember the LED lighted probe on my finger for the O2 sampling with the home test. Actually, I figured it was for the heart pulse.

Those O2 monitors look pretty cool. I see one of them is data capable and allows for an overnight record.

Has anyone interfaced one of these O2 units to a Resmed S9 to merge with its overnight data readout? Or I wonder why Resmed doesn't offer an O2 probe with their S9. (or do they?) Seems like an excellent option to have onboard.

T

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 115 54 minutes ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 242 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.