Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home Sleep Test results
RE: Home Sleep Test results
So I have another question to ask. My doctor has recommended APAP for me with pressure of 6-15cm. Could this be a way for him to eventually put me on CPAP instead?

I haven't started treatment yet, still waiting on insurance and DME, its frustrating. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see the problem with Doctor recommending an APAP. Is this for titration only, or will this be your machine? An APAP can be put in CPAP mode if you want. You can't put a CPAP in Auto mode,
So an APAP is best.

You should be contacting your insurance yourself to see what is covered. Never leave that up to a DME.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that the APAP will be machine going forward. I didn't do a titration study at all.

I have a PPO insurance plan. My carrier is in DC area, but I live in NC so I will have to find a way to contact insurance in my area since the allowed amounts will be different.

So you are saying that an APAP machine is better than CPAP? I'm just concerned if I have to switch over to CPAP not sure if I could handle air being blown into me constantly. Thanks!

Jamie
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2016, 08:34 AM)Inky1 Wrote: I believe that the APAP will be machine going forward. I didn't do a titration study at all.

I have a PPO insurance plan. My carrier is in DC area, but I live in NC so I will have to find a way to contact insurance in my area since the allowed amounts will be different.

So you are saying that an APAP machine is better than CPAP? I'm just concerned if I have to switch over to CPAP not sure if I could handle air being blown into me constantly. Thanks!

Jamie

APAP isn't necessarily better than CPAP, but it just makes more sense to acquire an APAP if possible.

Some people actually do better with CPAP, because they don't like the pressure changes of an APAP, but with an Auto machine, you can use it either way.

Just know that for insurance purposes, insurance will pay the same to the DME for either machine. The DME isn't going to tell you that, because they make more profit by giving you a CPAP. Just touch base with your doctor and be sure he writes APAP on perscription.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have another question to ask. Sorry for so many.

Does anyone use a special pillow to sleep with? I'm thinking of getting a nasal mask but am afraid it may come off or leak when using regular pillow. I have seen them for sale on websites, just want to know if they are good to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Inky1,
I don't use a special Cpap pillow, although I've tried a couple. They just were not comfortable for me.
Some use Cpap pillows that are cut out on the side so that your mask sort of hangs over.

If you don't get responses here, then start a new thread with that question.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2016, 08:34 AM)Inky1 Wrote: >>>>>snip>>>>

Jamie

CPAP and APAP constantly blow air. One of the APAP benefits is that most of the time it blows air at lower pressure than CPAP would and it automatically increases the pressure only when and for as long as needed.
As an example: My recommended CPAP pressure was for a long time 13.4
After the last sleep study, it was recommended to set CPAP at 15
I got an APAP. It's currently set to 10-16 range. 90% of the time it runs at 11 or less and I'm sleeping better than ever!
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP is a form of CPAP. An auto CPAP provides constant positive air pressure (CPAP) over a range, rather than at a fixed pressure. This allows the unit to respond to increased or decreased airway resistance and maintain the lowest possible pressure. Any APAP can also be operated in fixed CPAP mode, but CPAP is usually set at your 90% pressure. That means APAP can be below the CPAP pressure as much as 90% of the time. The advantage is clear if you are sensitive to higher pressures...most of the time you can be effectively treated with a lower pressure using APAP.

As far as a nasal interface, I strongly recommend you consider nasal pillows rather than a nasal mask. Early in my CPAP journey, I used a nasal mask, and it can be hard to get a good leak-free fit. They are larger and have a larger seal area to maintain, and are easier to dislodge. Nasal pillows simply rest on the bottom of your nose and are very easy to maintain a seal. If you like to sleep on your side, they easily accommodate that without a special pillow. The only good reason I can think of to use a nasal mask is if you develop irritation using pillows you simply can't overcome, or have had a surgery that causes a marked irregularity to the shape of the nares. Nasal pillows have the advantage of really opening up your sinuses, even when you have a cold.

Best of luck as you go forward.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider for clearing up between APAP and CPAP for me.

In regards to the nasal pillow masks, I have looked at them online and they seem that they wouldn't be comfortable to me. I don't usually like have something stuffed up my nose. I tolerated the nasal cannula for the sleep test, but it felt annoying.

I have had nitrous oxide at the dentist using a nasal hood before. I guess that is why I am looking so intently at a nasal mask. I know they are used differently, but I could tolerate that. I will definitely try both the nasal pillow and nasal mask on when I go to DME. Thanks for the info!

Jamie
Post Reply Post Reply
Inky1, there is nothing stuffed up your nose with nasal pillows. They are not prongs or canulas. The slightly raised surface around the openings of a nasal pillow are soft, and simply conform to the exterior of your nose where the nostrils curve inward. They rest on the outside, and nothing should contact the epithelial surfaces on the interior of your nose.

Uncomfortable is irritation on the bridge of your nose, or your nose encased in a plastic pocket that prevents you from scratching that itch. Just sayin' that an erroneous impression may prevent you from enjoying the comfort and minimal contact that is possible with pillows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,352 Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 396 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 194 04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,541 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,958 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 146 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 211 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.