Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home sleep apnea test - how long is a “night?”
Home sleep apnea test - how long is a “night?”
Wondering if anyone has had experience with this before. 

What is the typical minimum amount of time necessary on a home sleep test to diagnose sleep apnea?

I have sleep apnea myself but I was diagnosed in a lab. My father has to do a home sleep test because of other complicating factors regarding his cancer treatment.

The instructions  say he has to sleep two nights with the home device on and without any cpap machine.

The issue is that he does not sleep without the cpap (we have him using an older cpap bc it allows him some extended sleep).  Hence I don’t want him to have to be off the cpap for any longer than necessary. 

I have read that as little as 2 hours of home sleep test data can be sufficient to officially diagnose sleep apnea. 

Is there a standard time necessary for this? Or is it completely up to the physician usually?

I appreciate anyone else’s thoughts.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Home sleep apnea test - how long is a “night?”
If your dad was previously diagnosed with sleep apnea, why is this test necessary? Who says so?
Is there any way to obtain the original diagnostic study? Have you tried?
Can you explain the "complicating factors" for doing a clinical PSG without compromising your dad's privacy? Those may be sufficient cause to use an alternative diagnostic method. Also, what machine is he using now and does it produce data?

I know I would do just about anything to avoid sleeping without PAP therapy for even one night, so your concern is understandable. A home sleep study varies greatly in quality, and most will underestimate AHI because they have no means of determining when you are asleep, so the apnea is divided by the entire time of the test rather than excluding awake hours. The tests also do poorly identifying complications like flow limitations, central apnea and even oxygen desaturations.

This is the CMS decision memo for Medicare CPAP coverage. https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-da...?NCAId=204 If you have any documentation from a previous study, you can avoid another study.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to redo sleep study for Medicare, or so they told me.  I agreed to a split study with a BiPAP device.  They gave me credit for 2 hours of sleep instead of the actual 118 minutes then woke me up saying they needed 2 hours of sleep to diagnose me.  I had an AHI of 77 quite an improvement on my 90 something 10 years prior.  I too do NOT sleep without CPAP.

Based on that I feel the requirement is 2 hours OF SLEEP when in a sleep lab.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the idea of getting data from the DreamStation to help demonstrate need.
Post Reply Post Reply
He is undiagnosed. My mom and I both have had our own battles the sleep apnea and hence noticed his breathing and other symptoms. The doc has seen vid and confirms he likely has osa. Still they need to officially diagnose him.

My mom has an old resmes. It’s a brick. Only tells us how long the machine has been on. It starts at 4 and ramps to 9. He is able to get some sleep on the machine so I think that certainly confirms our assumption that he does have osa.

He also has some new anxiety over His sleep troubles (I’m very familiar with this part personally).

So my question is mostly one of “what is the shortest amount of time he can be on the home test and it be “valid”?

A friend of mine is a sleep clinician and she said 2 hours is typical for diagnosis.

I was just asking here to hear if anyone had other experiences.

Thanks for the comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple hours of sleep time is minimal, and more is better. I don't think two nights is necessary, but is a kind of insurance policy to ensure data is collected to justify a diagnosis.

The option of continuing self-financing of equipment is something to consider. Medicare will require a 13 month rental of the equipment, and depending on the copay for rental, a purchase may be better. There are great deals on modern machines like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset on sites like Craigslist, Letgo, Facebook Marketplace and Offerup. Supplier #33 will sell a brand new Autoset for under $600 shipped. This is a full data machine that can be used to fully optimize his therapy, and without the hassles that come with testing, dispensing and copays, follow-up, and biannual appointments to document use and efficacy. Just sayin'
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ideally, the length of time it takes for the patient to fall asleep, and then to cascade, or to climb through, several stages, but particularly to reach REM, is minimum.  For some, most, it's about 90 minutes early in the sleep cycle.  Later that night, in the wee hours, we dream more frequently...generally.  But each stage has its own flavor with the body, and we need to see what the apnea 'looks like' in order to generate a useful set of parameters for PAP therapy of one kind or another.  It seems the experts hope for two solid hours because almost anyone who can actually stay asleep will probably reach REM...but only if significant apnea does not prevent it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepridwr- self financing.  Yes. Thanks for the suggestion. That is a possibility for sure.

Unfortunately my dad is older and not capable of self treatment. So this is really all about getting a clinician or doctor to manage his treatment with the right pressure setting she etc.  

I probably could set up a newer machine and in the future walk them through it, but my dad will likely benefit greatly from some authority figure telling him what needs to happen.  He will be much more compliant when a doc gives him marching orders.  

Thanks again for suggestions.  This board is one of the biggest lifelines out there.  Thank you guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2018, 06:48 PM)Zandor435 Wrote: Sleepridwr- self financing.  Yes. Thanks for the suggestion. That is a possibility for sure.

Unfortunately my dad is older and not capable of self treatment. So this is really all about getting a clinician or doctor to manage his treatment with the right pressure setting she etc.  

I probably could set up a newer machine and in the future walk them through it, but my dad will likely benefit greatly from some authority figure telling him what needs to happen.  He will be much more compliant when a doc gives him marching orders.  

Thanks again for suggestions.  This board is one of the biggest lifelines out there.  Thank you guys.

The machine I am suggesting, the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is capable of being set to a wide range of pressure and quickly intercepting obstructive events. It also provides a bilevel like exhale pressure relief that is comfortable and can help target specific problems.  Basically what I'm saying is that with a single night of trial data, I could give you a suite of settings that would not likely need changed. What that means is, if you or a family member can start him out for a day or two, you're basically done. After that you can monitor his therapy using MyAir software to see what is going on from anywhere in the country.

It's a comforting idea that you can rely on local doctors and a DME to monitor dad's therapy, but the reality is, the DME will make no changes to settings without a doctor's prescription, and very few doctors will do anything without clinical data; most do not "believe" in the machine data. The process is awkward, slow and expensive. You can manage this, and it's much easier than you may think.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 126 11 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 295 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.