Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home sleep study and wife
RE: Home sleep study and wife
If my wife was having this much trouble, and I liked her, which I do........ I would sell the good china or even the bad china if I needed to and get her on a machine now. I would not even spend the time and energy trying to discuss it further with my doc. It would just simply be done.
Post Reply Post Reply
How is it possible she didn't get a positive diagnosis?
Incompetent people that don't care enough?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
And you can forget the sleep aid. I took a dose of that since I suspected I wouldn't be able to sleep. Didn't help one iota.

They even suggested it when they called me to remind of the appointment but warned that if I took one they would not let me drive home if the test terminated early. Of course I took one on the QT but to no avail.

DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER PLEASE. FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, GET THAT WOMAN A CPAP MACHINE !

It's absolutely ludicrous to think that they can put some arbitrary number on the quantity of events you must have with no regard to how long they last or whether you were sleeping deeply enough to even experience what happens when you can relax and sleep deeper and better. I wonder if one event that lasted over 5 minutes would get their attention! Idiots..lemmings..bean counters...medical mafia goons

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 02:14 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Wife just got the call back from her home sleep study and got the answer I knew was coming even though its wrong.

Study doesnt show enough events to get the Doc to write the prescription. Oh-jeez

This twice in 10 years once in the lab where she could not fall asleep and here where once she had the contraption on she only catnapped for short periods from exhaustion. Put a test of any kind on her and you can forget about her falling asleep for more than 15 min at a time for a couple hours total much less a deep sleep.

She has OA. A blind mule could listen to her in the night and know that without seeing her body heaving and her bolting upright gasping for air half the night or better. Which I do about every night as she goes to bed much earlier than I do.

Six months from now she can try again but itll just be the same thing.
I dont see why they only do one night. If she wore the thing a second night to get used to it being there she could probably sleep and the test be accurate. But no, so she suffers this every night for years and their tests for few hours dont show it because she barely sleeps during the test.
I getting tempted to track down a used auto machine and let it set her up. Rather go thru the medical system but this is getting ridiculous. Oh-jeez

Maybe rent/buy an infrared camera and a recording pulse oxy meter and record a nights sleep - we did this with my father when a sleep study was proving problematic due to his dementia and extreme determination to NOT wear a CPAP or any other type of apnea gear.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 08:57 PM)Galactus Wrote: How is it possible she didn't get a positive diagnosis?

She simply does not sleep more than very lightly for short periods when shes being tested. Home or lab. So she never sleeps deeply enough during the tests to do what she does when she actually sleeps any other time.

Insurance has its thresholds I guess and even if your close to that its still no cigar. So gonna have to make it happen one way or the other.

Its frustrating but she cant help it.

Im in the process of trying to sell some stuff to get her a good auto machine thats data capable. I suspect trying to start her off on a hard to deal with machine wont work

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 10:05 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 08:57 PM)Galactus Wrote: How is it possible she didn't get a positive diagnosis?

She simply does not sleep more than very lightly for short periods when shes being tested. Home or lab. So she never sleeps deeply enough during the tests to do what she does when she actually sleeps any other time.

Insurance has its thresholds I guess and even if your close to that its still no cigar. So gonna have to make it happen one way or the other.

Im in the process of trying to sell some stuff to get her a good auto machine thats data capable. I suspect trying to start her off on a hard to deal with machine wont work

You know you'd think that being the case they would have to keep her in the test till they got her to sleep, otherwise how the hell can they call it a quality test?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 10:10 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 10:05 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote:

You know you'd think that being the case they would have to keep her in the test till they got her to sleep, otherwise how the hell can they call it a quality test?

Yeah if she had been able to run the home test or even wear all the stuff for night the next night she might have slept better. But its six months between covered tests. And the lab or home test is only one night.

Actually I had to go back twice for my pressure settings at the sleep lab because they could not succesfully fit a mask to me between 8 and midnight after wiring me up. If not asleep by midnight its a no go because they wake you up here at 6 30, for the test. so they sent me home that night. 2nd time they got it with a fitlife entire face they didnt have on the lab floor the first time. Dont ask me why they didnt have it up there. They had em on the ground floor but couldnt get to them.Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
I would contact the doc that ordered the test and tell him what happened and get him to write a letter to medicare to see if they will allow another test now BUT I would not delay getting her a machine and then address this after that is done.

Get a complete copy of all of her sleep study test results AFTER SHE IS ON A CPAP MACHINE for your records and for the doc in case he/she doesn't have them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 05:22 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: It would be nice for insurance to help cover supplies etc and the machine. And probably her GP would write the RX for her because the home study showed close but the tech didnt think it would get the sleep doc to write a RX. Apparently it didnt since they didnt call back after that.

I dont know if her GP writing the RX based on this home study would pass muster with Medicare.??? Or if a GP can write original RXand medicare honor it. ??? She has supra V tach, headaches, and he o2 sat dropped to 90 on this test which is nothing like what she actually does so Im afraid it goes lower, though it might not. The test showed alot of hypopneas even the little bit she did sleep but not enough OAs.

Im not sure as I said if a GPs RX would be honored by Medicare or not and our health plan is tied to medicare but called something else.

Its handled my RX ver well though but I had the home study then the lab titration.

Medicare pretty much requires a specific process that relies heavily on the medical mafia. Sleep lab, certain results, followup with specific processes, local suppliers, etc.

I have some vague recollection of some discussion of home sleep tests on medicare, but I think it was experimental or a very limited area.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2014, 12:53 AM)archangle Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 05:22 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: It would be nice for insurance to help cover supplies etc and the machine. And probably her GP would write the RX for her because the home study showed close but the tech didnt think it would get the sleep doc to write a RX. Apparently it didnt since they didnt call back after that.

I dont know if her GP writing the RX based on this home study would pass muster with Medicare.??? Or if a GP can write original RXand medicare honor it. ??? She has supra V tach, headaches, and he o2 sat dropped to 90 on this test which is nothing like what she actually does so Im afraid it goes lower, though it might not. The test showed alot of hypopneas even the little bit she did sleep but not enough OAs.

Im not sure as I said if a GPs RX would be honored by Medicare or not and our health plan is tied to medicare but called something else.

Its handled my RX ver well though but I had the home study then the lab titration.

Medicare pretty much requires a specific process that relies heavily on the medical mafia. Sleep lab, certain results, followup with specific processes, local suppliers, etc.

I have some vague recollection of some discussion of home sleep tests on medicare, but I think it was experimental or a very limited area.

Our Medicare insurance plan if fine about the home test which is what this last one she had was. I was diagnosed with the same home sleep test she just had. Medicare, at least the plan we are on paid the usual 80 20.

But they only will cover a sleep test of any kind every six months. Wife cant wait that long. And even if she could it will likely show the same thing because she cant sleep with it.
So Ill do whatever I have to do to get her on a auto machine thats data capable, let the machine titrate here tweak her pressures etc.
Maybe once shes slept on the machine for a while and used to that she can sleep during their stilly test and blow their criteria line out of the water.

Im a bit new to this but from what ive read SA doesnt get better or cured unless your on the machine.?? Off the machine it seems from what im reading you just go back to choking out like before if Im understanding what im reading correctly?????Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 124 7 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.