Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home sleep study and wife
RE: Home sleep study and wife
(09-22-2014, 03:41 PM)herbm Wrote: And you can certainly (at worst) follow the excellent advice about using your Rx to get a "backup" for yourself.

Ideally, you would convince the doc and get insurance to pay for (their portion of) it.

Before I found out about needing to meet my deductible brfore insurance would pay for a new machine, etc. I looked into the prices via the providers my insurance works with. I can buy a machine online way cheaper than I can even with insurance once it kicks in. Hope that made sense!
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to me the obvious is being over looked here. Your wife fails sleep studies so no script. You think she does have apneas and hypopneas which could be centrals. She can't sleep in the studies so what is left for you to do for her?

You ever thought of doing your own sleep study for her ??

Hook her up to your machine for a couple of hours one afternoon .. you could get a new card for yours that would be for her data not to mess with your data on your card.. SD cards are very cheap .. copy her data to sleepyhead and then take that information to your doctor if indeed it does show a need. Could be done over several afternoons/evenings and at her leisure !!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 09:05 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: It seems to me the obvious is being over looked here. Your wife fails sleep studies so no script. You think she does have apneas and hypopneas which could be centrals. She can't sleep in the studies so what is left for you to do for her?

Hook her up to your machine for a couple of hours one afternoon .. you could get a new card for yours that would be for her data not to mess with your data on your card.. SD cards are very cheap .. copy her data to sleepyhead and then take that information to your doctor if indeed it does show a need. Could be done over several afternoons/evenings and at her leisure !!

Good idea!! Wonder why I didnt think of thatBigwink

Actually she was gifted a Respronics M series auto by a lady that had it for a lot of years but only used it twice and stuck it in the closet saying she would rather just die than sleep with the thing.

On it it doesnt take but 8 cm to 12 cm range to keep her at around 3 ahi. She has no centrals or open airway events all Hyponeas and OAs Snores and Flow limitations. That pressure range mostly runs at 8 and keeps her in good numbers.

Her 100 plus pulse every morning dropped to 70 the first morning after she used it.

Her only problem is the aerophlagia problem. And she has that bad.

Dropped her pressure to 7 on straight cpap so the pressure couldnt rise with c3 flex relief which helped a little. She had to go off of it for two nights because it distended her belly to hard as a rock status and it took that long to clear all the air out. Now shes back on it about 4 to 5 hours a night till the air blows her up again waking her up then she goes off it for that night.

Now Im going to six cm to try to let her body get accustomed to the machine, lose the gas problem then slowly bring her back up .5cm at a time.

Anything less than six she feels suffocated. Ill get her a better machine like a 550 or 560 as soon as I can. The M works great but is a rain out nightmare if you set it over 1 on humidity.

I cant trade machines with her because Im still in the compliance period and cant change my pressure settings and need to make sure the min hours are met for insurance to cover. My auto on my pressure settings would blow her up like a blow fish LOL.

But she is getting treated for her apena now at least most of the time as she gets the hang of machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's good you're making progress!

I understand fully. with less than 7cm pressure I feel like I cant breathe.
Probably CO2 buildup in the hose that doesn't flush out at low pressures.

Anyway, Best of Luck!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 09:38 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 09:05 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: It seems to me the obvious is being over looked here. Your wife fails sleep studies so no script. You think she does have apneas and hypopneas which could be centrals. She can't sleep in the studies so what is left for you to do for her?

Good idea!! Wonder why I didnt think of thatBigwink

Actually she was gifted a Respronics M series auto by a lady that had it for a lot of years but only used it twice and stuck it in the closet saying she would rather just die than sleep with the thing.

On it it doesnt take but 8 cm to 12 cm range to keep her at around 3 ahi. She has no centrals or open airway events all Hyponeas and OAs Snores and Flow limitations. That pressure range mostly runs at 8 and keeps her in good numbers.

Her 100 plus pulse every morning dropped to 70 the first morning after she used it.

Her only problem is the aerophlagia problem. And she has that bad.

Dropped her pressure to 7 on straight cpap so the pressure couldnt rise with c3 flex relief which helped a little. She had to go off of it for two nights because it distended her belly to hard as a rock status and it took that long to clear all the air out. Now shes back on it about 4 to 5 hours a night till the air blows her up again waking her up then she goes off it for that night.

Now Im going to six cm to try to let her body get accustomed to the machine, lose the gas problem then slowly bring her back up .5cm at a time.

Anything less than six she feels suffocated. Ill get her a better machine like a 550 or 560 as soon as I can. The M works great but is a rain out nightmare if you set it over 1 on humidity.

I cant trade machines with her because Im still in the compliance period and cant change my pressure settings and need to make sure the min hours are met for insurance to cover. My auto on my pressure settings would blow her up like a blow fish LOL.

But she is getting treated for her apena now at least most of the time as she gets the hang of machine.

Completely understand. My sister is using my hubby's old "brick" until she can give Apria a "boot of the bum" to get her own CPAP delivered to her. My hubby is using his new machine, PR System One Series 60 and I am using MY new machine, ResMed S9 AutoSet (and both of us are also still in his compliance time) so "the brick" is our loaner. After my sister uses it she will pass it on to her hubby so he can be treated until he is scheduled for a sleep study.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well surprise today. No idea why it took so long but instead of the Doctor at the sleep lab where her test was sent and read prescribing her a machine it somehow wound up back with her GP. Who after seeing her results of the last home test and being familiar with her cardiac issues also, PRESCRIBED HER A AUTO CPAP MACHINE

So in probably a week when the DME gets in the twin to my machine she will have her own insurance covered new PR system one series sixty auto aflex, masks etc.

Whew thought we would never get to this point. Now she just has to beat the cpap gas problem and stay compliant. She has the gas problem really bad but im researching every tip I can find to help her get over it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2014, 06:23 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Well surprise today. No idea why it took so long but instead of the Doctor at the sleep lab where her test was sent and read prescribing her a machine it somehow wound up back with her GP. Who after seeing her results of the last home test and being familiar with her cardiac issues also, PRESCRIBED HER A AUTO CPAP MACHINE

So in probably a week when the DME gets in the twin to my machine she will have her own insurance covered new PR system one series sixty auto aflex, masks etc.

Whew thought we would never get to this point. Now she just has to beat the cpap gas problem and stay compliant. She has the gas problem really bad but im researching every tip I can find to help her get over it.
Hi Ghost1958,
It's great to hear that your wife id finally going to get her own machine. If, after she gets her machine and she continues to have aerophagia, she needs to tell her doc about that.
Hopefully, she can get to where she is able to use her machine all night without taking it off because of the aerophagia problem.
Best of luck to both of you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh man, I am so very very very happy to hear that she is getting a machine of her own, man I wish you all the best. Feel like your my neighbor. So very happy! All the best.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news for your wife !

Having the gas problem too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be aiming to get a proper sleep study done complete with EEG if insurance would cover it for me. It is important to see if you are having centrals. But having said that, if you observe snoring during sleep or stoppages in breathing, etc., I would not wait another minute. I'd get a used S9 AUTO and a Mirage Quattro full face mask that fits her properly (probably SMALL size but they can try and fit you in a DME.... you don't have to buy it there). Online you will find, if you look hard enough, brand new S9 AUTO's for about $700 and used ones for about $250. The Mirage Quattro mask should run you about $90 - $110. Just be sure you get the right size or your treatment will be of little value. I would set the low end at around 7 - 9 cmH2O and the upper end around 15-17 cmH2O (just a guess - it's tough without a sleep study but we guessed that range for MY wife and her events dropped from 85 a night to 2 last night and we could see on the graphic output on ResScan or Sleephead the pressure changing as required. MAKE SURE THAT THE MASK IS A GOOD FIT. Unintentional leakage is to be avoided at all costs. A full face mask will still permit you to breathe even with the blower off so it should not be too claustrophobic. We don't use the humidifiers at all unless we have a cold or stuffy nose from allergy. Get the manuals (all of them) and study them.... it is worth the effort to understand what you are doing and how the equipment works. Then, away you go. First night with the APAP here and a mask that fit properly and my wife woke up with a big smile and full of energy. I say go for it but must warn you to get a doctor's advice before scratching your nose.... CYA stuff. Good luck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 94 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.