Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home sleep study for RDI on CPAP?
Home sleep study for RDI on CPAP?
I'm about 45 nights in to my inaugural use of APAP, now on my own machine. Centrals are down from the titration trial and, I think, are now largely SWJ. But I can't say as I feel I'm sleeping well.

Has anyone gotten a home test or PSG to test sleep efficiency on CPAP with numbers like mine?

I'm guessing at the next appointment the Kaiser health factory will look at my numbers, say "Under 15! You're doing well!"

I'd love to know what my current RDI is, but the A10 can't measure that. I'm wondering if I can get them to do a follow up WatchPat test while I'm on the machine to cross check the pre-treatment RDI to the treatment RDI.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Home sleep study for RDI on CPAP?
can't hurt to ask.

fwiw, one layman's view:

the bar charts in your last post show predominantly ca and you have measurable flow limitations every every night. I don't remember all your details so maybe sleep wake junk explains your ca but unless something is seriously off, it looks to me like too many to be just that. apap dropped my ca from 194 events in about 6 hours of home test to roughly a dozen or less, but I continued to feel hungover every day. with asv and no ca, I don't have that hungover feeling anyore. of course, I'm not an expert and your experience may be different.

still, based on this chart, it's looking like you may be joining the ranks of a growing number of members that do better on apap but not good enough, still feel lousy and have numbers bordering on borderline. they say pressure induced ca can take several months to ease up so They may want you to continue for a while. personally, I'd think about skipping the home testing (unless They suggest it and provide the equipment) and push for an asv trial or titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2018, 07:12 PM)sheepless Wrote: can't hurt to ask.

fwiw, one layman's view:

the bar charts in your last post show predominantly ca and you have measurable flow limitations every every night.  I don't remember all your details so maybe sleep wake junk explains your ca but unless something is seriously off, it looks to me like too many to be just that.  apap dropped my ca from 194 events in about 6 hours of home test to roughly a dozen or less, but I continued to feel hungover every day.  with asv and no ca, I don't have that hungover feeling anyore.  of course, I'm not an expert and your experience may be different.  

still, based on this chart, it's looking like you may be joining the ranks of a growing number of members that do better on apap but not good enough, still feel lousy and have numbers bordering on borderline.  they say pressure induced ca can take several months to ease up so They may want you to continue for a while.  personally, I'd think about skipping the home testing (unless They suggest it and provide the equipment) and push for an asv trial or titration.

Yeah, APAP is not restful for me. I tried sleeping without the machine last night. Felt about the same. Which is why I'm curious about hard numbers like RDI. I do wish I could just throw an ASV at it. Too bad I missed that $600 (or was it 400?) Aircurve ASV that was on eBay a few weeks back :-) Seems weird that the flow limitations went up as the CAs went down.

I'll have to check back with Kaiser this week. The co-pay for the home test is the same as for the week-long home titration. Not sure if they charge more for an ASV titration. I know they have ASVs - well, I know they are on the multiple choice prescription form, anyway.

Maybe some actigraphy could give me some objective numbers? There's a bewildering array of actigraphy products out there, few of them validated, from wrist worn multi-axis accelerators to RF motion detection transceivers, to "sonar" apps that purportedly use your phone's speaker and microphone to detect motion.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Seems weird that the flow limitations went up as the CAs went down."

flow limitations are obstructive and respond to pressure while ca's get worse with pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2018, 07:31 PM)sheepless Wrote: "Seems weird that the flow limitations went up as the CAs went down."

flow limitations are obstructive and respond to pressure while ca's get worse with pressure?

The first 8 days of titration with the higher CAs and lower flow limits had the EPR at 3, with lower median and 95% pressures, which seems slightly backwards. The lower EPR for my own machine, set at 1, coincides with reduced CAs. But not sure if the higher pressures are cause or effect for the higher flow limits. Dunno.
Post Reply Post Reply
yah, somebody else'll have to step in here. bumping up against the limits of what I think I know (not to be confused with what I know which is even less). I'm not using epr anymore and my apneac brain isn't remembering the nuances of how it works. if I've learned nothing else, it's that everyone is different, there are exceptions to all pap 'rules of thumb' and not every result makes sense (at least to me). I'll step back & revert to following with interest while more knowledgeable members hopefully give you more useful info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2018, 06:15 PM)Stom Wrote: I'm about 45 nights in to my inaugural use of APAP, now on my own machine. Centrals are down from the titration trial and, I think, are now largely SWJ. But I can't say as I feel I'm sleeping well.

Has anyone gotten a home test or PSG to test sleep efficiency on CPAP with numbers like mine?

I'm guessing at the next appointment the Kaiser health factory will look at my numbers, say "Under 15! You're doing well!"

I'd love to know what my current RDI is, but the A10 can't measure that. I'm wondering if I can get them to do a follow up WatchPat test while I'm on the machine to cross check the pre-treatment RDI to the treatment RDI.

Go to the CPAP tab in SleepyHead’s settings  and change Preferred major event index from AHI to RDI, click OK and let SleepyHead re-index.  Coffee

Sleep well.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2018, 05:07 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Go to the CPAP tab in SleepyHead’s settings  and change Preferred major event index from AHI to RDI, click OK and let SleepyHead re-index.  Coffee

Sleep well.

Cool, thanks :-) I didn't know SH could do that. But because my A10 flags very few RERAs, it wouldn't make any difference to my scores. One thing I'm certain of at this point is that there is not a linear relationship between A10 scored AHI or RDI and how sleepy I feel in the morning. It's not a sleep tracker, unfortunately. I wish it had an actigraphy feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but RERAs on these machines are inaccurate because you don't have an EEG to actually know if the person experiences arousal. They just do a best guess, but you won't be a true RDI without an EEG.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 168 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,388 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 267 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 367 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 216 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,279 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.