Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic
RE: Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic
The next step is getting the machine, using it with a SD data card and using OSCAR to see the results. You're on your way.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can only relate my experience and share an opinion. I'd never had a sleep test of any kind until last year when, after a stroke, i told  my family physician I was having sleep problems, i.e. poor sleep at night and sleepines during the day. He suggested a sleep test and his assistant contacted a company they work with.  A package was shiped to me that contained the equipment I was to use and return afterthe test. Although it included instructions, while waiting for it to arrive I had a ZOOM video call with a nurse who explained what I would be receiving and how to use it. The package contained complete instructions as to how to attach leads with sticky pads (like the ones worn for an AKG).  There also was mask with a micophone that recorded my breathing. It was easy to use. Just push record on the battery-operated control box and it started recording data until I turned it off. If I had to get up during the night, I hit pause, disconnected a main lead, and later re-connected to continue recording data.

I did that for 3 nights of my choosing.  The control box records sleep data, the date, start and end time for each session.  I returned the package by taping it up and calling the designated carrier to order the pick up.  After a week or two, my doctor's  assistant called to make an appointment for a consultation with him to discuss the results. He had a complete report of my sleep test including a long graphic display that looked like a seismic chart. It showed all my inhalations, exhalations, pauses (apneas), etc. And the report recommended CPAP therapy. I asked my doctor what he thought about the recommendation. He looked straight at me and said, "It could save your life." Sold!  My doctor went on to explain that sleep apnea causes many issues with body functions and can lead to serious problems. 

I've been using the machine for 10 months and, while there's been learning experiences to determine proper mask, etc., my sleep has greatly improved.  The in-home sleep test showed that my apnea "events"  were extremely high. Soon after going on the CPAP therapy, the apnea events decreased dramatically and are now quite low. The equipment I use reports my daily sleep report to a private online app so I can keep a check on results.  And the machine has an SD card that records my data nightly, should I want to review specifics or take a data page to my doctor. 

But to your question: It was so easy to do the test at home. I can't imagine being tested in any other way.  There was no stress about sleeping in some unfamiliar sleep laboratory, around people I don't know and being observed while I sleep. (I'm only assuming how it's done).  I think the test captured a true sampling of my sleep pattern, and that's what you want.    
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you are making progress.

Let me suggest you consider buying from an online vendor. I won't make specific recs as I only really have experience with one. But def. would rec you avoid a Brick and Mortar DME.

D
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2022, 07:17 PM)NoSnoreDave Wrote: Glad you are making progress.

Let me suggest you consider buying from an online vendor. I won't make specific recs as I only really have experience with one. But def. would rec you avoid a Brick and Mortar DME.

D

Yes, definitely planning to buy from an online vendor.

The main issue right now is that the Resmed Airsense Auto 10 and 11 are both on back order virtually everywhere. I may have to buy used after all. We'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #25 is not showing a backorder. The price is way too high at $1279 but may be worth a call to see if anything can be worked out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,686 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.