Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home warranties.
Home warranties.
Not sure if I've asked this before, but does anyone on here have a home warranty? Not home owners insurance, but a home warranty.

The kind you use if you have a plumbing leak, an appliance go bad, or your a/c conks out. We have American Home Shield, but the contract expires on 11-20-20.

We've had to use it a handful of times, and our experiences have been positive. You can request service online or via phone. The company is very quick to respond and assign a contractor. There's only one glaring problem, and it's a big one. They don't cover our sewer septic system. We didn't find this out until after we signed up for their service agreement.

I spent about two hours on the phone today speaking to different home warranty companies. I did find some companies that do and will cover our specific type of sewer septic system. I'm still in the research mode and not ready to commit to an new company as of yet.

I'm curious if any of you have a home warranty, the name of it, and if you are happy with it. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated. Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Home warranties.
I have had home warranties, usually as a result of buying a home. It is common practice for the seller to provide a warranty policy. Most home warranty companies are not in business to lose money, and what you quickly learn is that they charge a service call fee and often a copay for work performed, and have a host of exclusions that add up to you paying a significant part of the cost of a major repair. In addition, they find the cheapest way to fix a problem using the cheapest trade person. Full replacement is uncommon.

A specific experience I had was our air conditioning went out while under a home warranty. The first thing they did was hire a contractor I never heard of to come re-charge the system, and charged a $75 service call. It took about 3 days for the coolant to leak out, and the contractor was dispatched for diagnostics that found the evaporator was leaking. A replacement evaporator was ordered and required a replacement condenser to also be installed, and I think I had about $500 of costs. Two years later, just before the Lennox manufactuer warranty expired, the condenser failed and required replacement. This time not under a home warranty. The original contractor was no longer in business so I used a reputable local contractor. While the condensor unit was replaced (parts only), the installation and charging was at my expense. I think I had another 8 -$900 cost. In the end, I have a system that works, but is not something I can depend on to last as much as if I had just done the replacement right the first time, and I haven't saved much money.

My experience is one where I actually got a repair/replacement. I know many people that have these warranties and had no services or a minor repair. For example, my daughter's dishwasher supply valve froze. The service call was about the same as the parts and labor would have cost, and the guy doing the repair was not too impressive.

In the case of your septic system, you can be certain, the first response will be to pump any holding tanks, and if the aeration system is bad, they will try to repair it. I doubt anyone will cover leach field failure or flooding. Check your conditions carefully. They are built to exclude the most expensive failures. A septic system will require design, permit approvals and a lot of site work to close a failed unit and install the new one. This kind of coverage is probably very expensive if it exists.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked the seller to provide a home warranty, thinking they'd cover any problems the seller left behind. same company as yours. I couldn't have been more wrong. their contract was artfully written to exclude practically everything. my first call was when the blower motor in the hvac air handler quit. full of dog hair they said. excluded. seller negligence was precisely the kind of thing I wanted coverage for. had a couple other experiences like this. the only thing I got was some worn electrical outlets replaced. the electrician did such a fast & lousy job, I had to reinstall & rewire every one of them. the warranty policy didn't cost me anything but it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our house sits on the side of a steep hill. It is a two level home. Although we are on city sewer and water, the holding tank for the waste water sits well below street level under the house.

We don't have a leach field. The holding tank has two submerged pumps in it. There is also a float system to turn the pumps on/off. 

Each pump has it's own discharge pipe, and they merge into one about 10' from the tank. The "run" from the tank to the actual city sewer is at least 200' or so. It's an uphill run for 1st 150' or so, and then it gradually levels off some. 

The technical term for this type of system is sewage ejection / evacuation system........or sewage GRINDER ejection / evacuation system. The 1st system costs about $5K. The later one costs closer to $10K. We have the $10K system. 

In this area, this type of system is common if your house sits on the side of a hill. Those sitting on the side of a hill, usually have a spectacular view. Ours has one of the best in the area. 

I've called around and spoke to various plumbing companies about our septic system. Most opinions are such that they are pretty much maintenance free. But, when you have a problem, it needs immediate attention. 

I have found some home warranty companies that cover the grinder system, but there is a cap on how much they will pay. We have time until our current plan runs out, so I guess I'll continue to do my due diligence and keep on searching.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
few people read their insurance policies (it's a boring complicated slog) but as you know the devil's in the fine print. few sales reps will go into that level of detail or volunteer much info about exclusions.

I don't remember the details of my contract but I wouldn't be surprised if some exclude pre existing conditions. not sure if you have a waste problem or are preparing for the possibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2020, 12:57 PM)sheepless Wrote: few people read their insurance policies (it's a boring complicated slog) but as you know the devil's in the fine print. few sales reps will go into that level of detail or volunteer much info about exclusions.

I don't remember the details of my contract but I wouldn't be surprised if some exclude pre existing conditions. not sure if you have a waste problem or are preparing for the possibility.

Since moving in Nov. of 2019, we've only had one sewer issue, and that was in Jan. of this year. Long story made short, my wife and I were able to resolve it by re-setting the system. 

We did that by happen stance. Anyways, we want some sort or type of insurance in place that will cover the majority of cost if something should arise. We've never had a system like this before, and we are a bit nervous about it. We take precautions by not flushing anything other than toilet paper down the toilets. Not even the supposedly "flushable wipes". 

Same goes for our kitchen sink. Even though it does have a garbage disposal, we are very careful as to what goes in it. 

This sewer grinder ejection system is the "elephant in the room". It's gonna be here as long as we are, so we need to come to know it and it's habits well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have & have had similar systems. one in a rental that tenants don't take the care I would. so far in 25 years no problems, knock on wood. I assume the main problems are grinders & pumps that eventually fail. not nearly as expensive as replacing a leach field though. hope to hear what you end up with, whether you find some kind of satisfactory warranty or insurance for that kind of thing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Never owned a home nor a home warranty. Now that I'm disabled and income is a small amount, home owning is probably RIP.

However, I have had scammers call to tell me that my car warranty is about to expire on my 1991 Thunderbird.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2020, 06:51 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Never owned a home nor a home warranty. Now that I'm disabled and income is a small amount, home owning is probably RIP.

However, I have had scammers call to tell me that my car warranty is about to expire on my 1991 Thunderbird.

We get the car warranty calls all the time.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2020, 08:28 PM)Big Guy Wrote: We get the car warranty calls all the time.  Oh-jeez

So do I. Thought I'd never be able to afford a car warranty though... that is, until I was notified by email today that a Nigerian prince wants to give me $1,000,000 and all I have to do is send him my bank account info so he can wire the funds to me. Finally, a way to pay for Apnea Board to get that super-dooper high-end server! Grin
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy Joys of home ownership AlanE 220 19,127 09-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  home oxygen concentrator MawBeall 2 435 02-15-2020, 01:13 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Vietnam MIA comes home to Texas justMongo 5 1,719 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Home Automation AlanE 21 4,755 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.