Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hope and sharing a possible solution to sleeping on your back
Hope and sharing a possible solution to sleeping on your back
Well one thing that seems to have worked was my figuring out a way to stop myself from turning onto my back during sleep.

I just slept for 5 hours and 8 minutes. Nonstop.

I almost never do that, I normally wake up within two hours of going to bed and then again ever 2 to 3 hours all night.

And for the first sleep period I had NO sleep apneas, perfect score of ZERO.
Second sleep period was for 3:11 hours and only one part of a Apnea..a .12 clear air and a .36 Hypopnea.

I hope I have got all the parts worked out, new machine, and a way to stop me from pushing my blocking pillows away.

I lay a folded sheet over both pillows and then tuck the far side under the pillow, that seems to prevent my pushing them apart so even if I try to get on my back I can only partly make it and end up at a angle laying on my back supporting pillow.

Only problem was/is left shoulder pain from being on my left side for those 5.8 hours.

But it seems to going away after an hour of wake time.

Now to see if it will work all the time AND if getting longer sleep times will really work.

I have high hope this will keep working and I can get the real resting sleep I so need.

Today is so far so good, time of this note is 10:320AM. And I feel good,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hope and sharing a possible solution to sleeping on your back
Feeling good is the goal. Let us know how this continues to work for you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't be discouraged if you backslide. This stuff is usually two steps forward, one step back. Progress can be slow, but the benefits accumulate.

Today I'm having one of those days where I feel like I got a good night's rest. It's the first time I've felt good in a couple of weeks because it seems I've had a mild case of food poisoning along with a moderate to mild sinus infection. The double whammy!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wishes for a full recovery..those are no fun.

Rich

(11-19-2014, 01:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Don't be discouraged if you backslide. This stuff is usually two steps forward, one step back. Progress can be slow, but the benefits accumulate.

Today I'm having one of those days where I feel like I got a good night's rest. It's the first time I've felt good in a couple of weeks because it seems I've had a mild case of food poisoning along with a moderate to mild sinus infection. The double whammy!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi racprops,
This is GREAT news,! let us know how this goes as you continue. Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged if you have a bad night or two every once in a while.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I already have a long pillow for my back blocker and as I sleep slightly curled up a standard size pair of pillows work as my front pillows and I have a very thin one for my legs.

Yesterday was one of the best I have had in a month.

Second night again looking better, I slept 1:31 hours the first season BUT I then got 4:56 hours of sleep and when I tried to go back to sleep I slayed in bed for 30 minutes and was so awake I could not go back to sleep.

I really think I am at last getting real restful sleep.

So far I feel good.

Crossed fingers...and toes.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rich, Your solution seems to be paying off for you and no doubt by sharing it you will be helping others. Thanks for sharing.

I fought with that same problem for quite a while and solved it much the same as you have, using pillows placed properly.

I will add however that I will never sleep as well on my side as my back and will do everything I can to gain that ability again. I find that as time goes by and CPAPing gets more and more comfortable, I am able to sneak a short session of back sleeping at the end of the sleep session. I am increasing that length and have hopes of one someday (somenight?) of being able to make it the major position. Raising the maximum pressure is needed of course and doing it slowly is the key. I'll get there eventually but suspect it will take quite a while to slowly acclimate to eventual higher pressure and fend off the resultant leaks.

Best regards, Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to sleep on my back due to various reasons. I sleep propped up on pillows. We are looking into making a foam wedge system because I wake up most early mornings, slid down into the bed with my head crammed against the pillows. Which isn't good for my neck and shoulders.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure that someday in the not too far future I'll probably be looking to getting one of the "Sleep Number" beds that I often see advertised on T.V.. That's especially likely if I fail to make sleeping supine work for me. I imagine those beds are expensive given that they spend lots of bucks on T.V. ads but at some point money isn't the object.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am looking into getting an adjustable bed. Probably a Tempurpedic mattress. I've tried several Sleep Number beds and couldn't stand them. I could not get comfortable no matter what I did. But we've got a high end memory foam topper now and I love it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.