Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hope for the newbies
Hope for the newbies
Hey guys, I don't post much but just wanted to give the newbies some encouragement. I'm now well into the third month of using the machine and have come to the realization that this machine is not the enemy that I believed it was at the beginning.

I was diagnosed moderate back in late January and got my machine and mask around the first of Febuary. My sleep study was a disaster so they started me on the standard 4-20 pressure. I was given a Dreamstation so the only "data" I could get was the Dream mapper program. My AHI's were all over the place. Some nights maybe a 5 and next night might be 13. I think a part of that ( besides my pressure range) was that I was fighting the whole thing. I just couldn't give in to the fact that I was gonna use this thing for the rest of my life. I hated the whole thing.

About a month or so passed and although I had excellent compliance, my numbers weren't getting any better from starting. I would read every thread on here and particularly the success stories up top. I remember one night after wrestling with the thing getting out of bed and just slinging the mask off. I had come to the breaking point. Now, I must say here that I "have" to use the machine. My job requires me to use it with AHI's under 7 and a compliance of not 4 but 6 hrs per night.

Long story shorter, I went back to my sleep Dr and "we" adjusted the pressure to 9-11. As the nights went on, I got to where I just didn't notice the pressure and sometimes have to pull the mask up a little to see if it's still blowing. I started with the Amara View and then tried a Simplus FFM. I also have a Dreamwear that I'm getting used to but for now the Simplus is my go to.

When I started, I was on Zolpidem 10. It was hit or miss. Some nights I fell asleep right away and other nights it just didn't seem to help at all. So, after reading Robysue's blog, I set a get up time of 5am. If I didn't go to sleep until 4am, too bad, I still got up at 5. If I went to sleep at 10pm, great,still got up at 5am. My wife started "secretly" weaning me off of the medicine and after a month, I was off of it. I don't know if medicine affects everyone the same,but after getting the pressure tightened up, my AHI's were hovering around 5. Now, since being off the medicine, it's averaging 1-2. I'm well pleased with the results.

I just hope that if you are new to all of this, just know that some of the struggles that you are facing have been faced by lots of people here. DONT GIVE UP!!!
It gets better. I lay down now and put the mask on and usually within minutes, I'm out. The Mask is just a part of it and I know I'm sleeping much better now.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I see so many post's on here of discouragement and basically lost hope. I'll say it again,,, DONT GIVE UP!!! It gets better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hope for the newbies
Thanks for the Post
I have been using Amara View since December and am considering trying another mask, can you tell me the pro's and cons between Amara View and the Simplus FFM your using

(04-22-2016, 10:20 AM)Buckshot Wrote: I started with the Amara View and then tried a Simplus FFM. I also have a Dreamwear that I'm getting used to but for now the Simplus is my go to.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 12:20 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Thanks for the Post
I have been using Amara View since December and am considering trying another mask, can you tell me the pro's and cons between Amara View and the Simplus FFM your using

(04-22-2016, 10:20 AM)Buckshot Wrote: I started with the Amara View and then tried a Simplus FFM. I also have a Dreamwear that I'm getting used to but for now the Simplus is my go to.
Seems like I have more leaks with the View. I tried loose fit and really tight fit. Looser seemed to work the best. Also, the little thing under my nose was bugging me. I tried the Simplus and really like it. I don't wear it tight at all and have few leaks and then it just takes moving it a little and it seals. The Simplus just seems to fit me really well. I still use the View. I tend to use one a couple of weeks then use another for a couple of weeks. I'm still getting used to the Dreamwear and really like it a lot. If I had to use just one from here on, it would be the Simplus FFM because I do like it better than the View and not completely comfortable with the Dreamwear yet. Good luck finding one that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Buckshot,
Thanks for the very encouraging post.
I'm glad you are doing so well with CPAP therapy, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 01:18 PM)Buckshot Wrote:
(04-22-2016, 12:20 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Thanks for the Post

Seems like I have more leaks with the View. I tried loose fit and really tight fit. Looser seemed to work the best. Also, the little thing under my nose was bugging me. I tried the Simplus and really like it. I don't wear it tight at all and have few leaks and then it just takes moving it a little and it seals. The Simplus just seems to fit me really well. I still use the View. I tend to use one a couple of weeks then use another for a couple of weeks. I'm still getting used to the Dreamwear and really like it a lot. If I had to use just one from here on, it would be the Simplus FFM because I do like it better than the View and not completely comfortable with the Dreamwear yet. Good luck finding one that works for you.

Thanks
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 10:20 AM)Buckshot Wrote: Hey guys, I don't post much but just wanted to give the newbies some encouragement.
. . .
I'll say it again,,, DONT GIVE UP!!! It gets better.

Hi Buckshot,
Welcome to the forum Welcome

Thanks for sharing your early experiences - I'm sure this will help some folks that are struggling. Glad to hear you have progressed so well. Good luck on your continuing journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum and new to CPAP. After a sleep study just over a month ago, I was diagnosed: "severe", but I read the report and it said, "moderately severe". My issues (which have been present for at least the last 30 years) have always been nasal (and allergies). As well, I am asymptomatic (blood pressure normal; weight: normal; no diabetes). I went for the sleep study for my husband. His sleep has always suffered because of my loud snoring. It's incredible that he's endured this for so long.

After doing my research, I thought I'd go for the Amara View mask, but I really had trouble sleeping a full night with it. I would wake up a couple of times, then I would need to go to the bathroom. Well, even though the woman at the store said, "Leave the mask on", I couldn't. It was too bulky, and I really resented it. For the last two weeks, I have been trying a nasal mask only (Respironics Dreamwear). I am sleeping through the night and waking up very refreshed. If I wake up during the night, and it's hardly ever, I can easily remove the mask and then easily put it back on after. I really like this.

I am told my numbers are hovering around 5. They want me to be under, but I fluctuate just over and just under. I get a chin strap this week, so this should fix the leaking (btw: my homemade version with a scarf, is not working that well).

Quite honestly, I expected to hate a machine. My sister wears a mouth guard, and I was hoping for that kind of treatment too. When I was told my issue was severe, I cried. (note: no sympathy from the doctor at this point). Well, big surprise - I am, dare I say, happy to use the CPAP. I fall asleep quickly (I find the air streaming to be hypnotic), and the difference in my ability to drive or do anything in the day is AMAZING!

My only issue with it, and I only get this if it takes me more than 5 minutes to fall asleep, is that I swallow some air which results in some burping, but this is not overwhelming.
My husband's only issue with it is the sound of the leaks. This will wake him up, but it's not anywhere near as bad as my snoring used to be.

All in all, not bad!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dramagal, welcome to Apnea Board, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:My husband's only issue with it is the sound of the leaks. This will wake him up, but it's not anywhere near as bad as my snoring used to be.

Funny - my beloved has the same problem with my leaks. But she much prefers the leaks to the snoring that used to occur. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Dramagal27. Welcome to the Apnea Board.

It sounds like your CPAP use is going pretty well for early days. Do you use an EPR setting for expiratory pressure relief? It's a comfort setting that lowers the pressure slightly when you are exhaling. A setting of 2 or 3 is typical for a new user.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Change to BIPAP vauto in hope for better therapy Dave Water 41 2,938 05-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  what's the best pricing to hope for Resmed 11 Dave W 3 485 03-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
Smile Waiting on CPAP/Looking for adivice + hope kentuckywildcats87 4 590 07-12-2022, 07:52 AM
Last Post: kentuckywildcats87
  [Health] MOSTLY FOR NEWBIES srlevine1 6 879 06-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Losing hope feeling worse on CPAP than without. Any advice? AFAFAF 43 3,441 11-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Newbies Only - Joined since 2017 PollCat 2 818 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie here, I have 2 questions hope you can help with Pinkpetal 7 1,315 07-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.