Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hoping for thoughts & advice
RE: Hoping for thoughts & advice
I agree about the ResMed s10 autoset or a ResMed aircurve VAUTO. Both are carried by Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of this site. They sell used (but very low hours) machines at excellent prices. Check them out, I know they will do a better job that the one you are using. 

I bought a used VAUTO from Supplier #2 and it had been used less than one month. Great machine and great company.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I started this past Monday.  Still trying to get used to all of this.  I really do like the Dreamwear mask, but I'll give the ResMed equivalent F30i a go...the DreamWisp did not go well, as I believe air was escaping my mouth...as well as bumping the minimum to a 9.

I added the Leak Rate Upper Threshold as suggested, and see that I'm often above that limit.

Thank you for all the advice.  I'll keep plugging away at this and see what options I have on the machine front.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seeing is easier that trying to tell about leaks.  Here are 2 graphs both from Phillips machines, the top shows no bad leaks (but shows total leaks at 0).  The bottom shows leaks but still shows leaks at 0.  The dotted line does not go through any of the bottom line graph on the top.  The bottom graph shows the dotted line going through the bottom line graph and is over the leak limit.

Hope this helps.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a DreamStation Go that I bought when starting out 3 or 4 months ago and before I found this forum. It is actually a very good full featured machine and can do everything a full sized DreamStation can do but is more compact for travel. Like you, I expect to travel for work quite a bit once we get on the other side of Covid. With that said, I too have issues with flow limitations and variable breathing. Unfortunately, while the DreamStation worked well in treating my apnea and lowering my AHI, it didn't do much for flow limitations and it is the wrong machine to treat variable breathing and flow restrictions.  Following the overwhelming advice provided on this forum, the best solution for that is bilevel pressure support that is provided with the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, or Aircurve Vauto. The difference is night and day. If I use my DreamStation I continue to be plagued by flow limitations and variable breathing, no matter the settings, yet a change to my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, or Aircurve Vauto and those issues essentially disappear, or are minimized to where they are negligible.

Masks are something that are subjective. What works for one person, might not work for me or you. I am a mouth breather like you and tried several masks before I found one that worked for me. For the life of me, I cannot seem to tolerate a full face mask without incurring leaks. I have tried them all. The F30i came close, but in the end I ended up using a chin strap, taping my mouth and going to a Resmed P10. No leaks and consistently less than 1 AHI. One thing is for certain, in order for your treatment to be effective, you must stop the leaks.

I did notice you are using AFLEX with a Flex level of 3 on your DreamStation Go. I might suggest you try a Flex level of 2. As other forum members have mentioned, Flex 3 timing seems to be off and as a result your breathing can feel out of sync. Whether at a setting of Flex 2 or 3 you only get maximum pressure change of 2cm. anyway.  

There is significant expertise on this Forum and the people go out of their way to help you. I am sure if you stick with it you will be in a much better place in a very short time.

Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2020, 01:03 PM)Garfield Wrote: I really do like the Dreamwear mask, but I'll give the ResMed equivalent F30i a go...the DreamWisp did not go well, as I believe air was escaping my mouth...as well as bumping the minimum to a 9.

Before you give up on a mask you like, please read this carefully:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Rate_Graph

Take a look at the linked pdf too.

If your main reason for thinking you can't use the Dreamwear mask is your leak rates, you should stick with it.  Your leaks aren't at a level that would interfere with your therapy, and if you're not feeling anything that annoys you, you're good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and Garfield, you're doing great for someone right at the start of all this. Hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2020, 04:51 PM)SleepinAZ Wrote: I have a DreamStation Go that I bought when starting out 3 or 4 months ago and before I found this forum. It is actually a very good full featured machine and can do everything a full sized DreamStation can do but is more compact for travel. Like you, I expect to travel for work quite a bit once we get on the other side of Covid. With that said, I too have issues with flow limitations and variable breathing. Unfortunately, while the DreamStation worked well in treating my apnea and lowering my AHI, it didn't do much for flow limitations and it is the wrong machine to treat variable breathing and flow restrictions.  Following the overwhelming advice provided on this forum, the best solution for that is bilevel pressure support that is provided with the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, or Aircurve Vauto. The difference is night and day. If I use my DreamStation I continue to be plagued by flow limitations and variable breathing, no matter the settings, yet a change to my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, or Aircurve Vauto and those issues essentially disappear, or are minimized to where they are negligible.

Masks are something that are subjective. What works for one person, might not work for me or you. I am a mouth breather like you and tried several masks before I found one that worked for me. For the life of me, I cannot seem to tolerate a full face mask without incurring leaks. I have tried them all. The F30i came close, but in the end I ended up using a chin strap, taping my mouth and going to a Resmed P10. No leaks and consistently less than 1 AHI. One thing is for certain, in order for your treatment to be effective, you must stop the leaks.

I did notice you are using AFLEX with a Flex level of 3 on your DreamStation Go. I might suggest you try a Flex level of 2. As other forum members have mentioned, Flex 3 timing seems to be off and as a result your breathing can feel out of sync. Whether at a setting of Flex 2 or 3 you only get maximum pressure change of 2cm. anyway.  

There is significant expertise on this Forum and the people go out of their way to help you. I am sure if you stick with it you will be in a much better place in a very short time.

Good Luck

Thanks for this feedback.  Is it fair to assume you still plan on using the Go when travelling, or did you give up on the machine entirely?  

I'll move to Aflex 2...and actually going to try a different sized Dreamwear mask (they sent a fit pack) as well.

(10-18-2020, 05:29 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Oh, and Garfield, you're doing great for someone right at the start of all this.  Hang in there!

Thank you very much.  I'm dedicated to getting this right...I'm just really glad I found this group, as my doctor really hasn't been very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read about PR leak reports (in my post above) and then stick with the mask you like!
Post Reply Post Reply
I do still plan on using my DreamStation Go when I travel. I do get decent results from it, but do notice issues with fragmented sleep associated with flow limitation about half the time. I also have to use increased pressure with the Dreamstation vs. the Resmed and have had some issues adjusting to that. Some nights are worse than others, but for the most part my sleep is much improved with it.

I think for short trips of two or three days I will use the DreamStation GO and for anything longer I will take the Resmed. I was surprised when I bought the Resmed on how compact and portable it is. Of course the DreamStation Go is very compact and fits nicely in a small sling bag, or my backpack. I went back and forth on the Dreamstation Go and the Resmed Airmini, but was concerned about the lack of a humidifier, having to use a specific mask with a HME to provide moisture & recurring cost of that plus I read too many negative reviews regarding the mask selection and noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt like I had a step in the right direction last night, obviously not there yet.  Not sure if it was the move to A-Flex 2 or not...extremely disappointed I woke up at 3:30, as I've yet to be able to get back to sleep with the mask on in the middle of the night.  When I hit 11cm, air is flying all over the place (just not in the right spot).

I also got an very good deal on a new ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset from a supplier not on the list...so hopefully by the end of the week and I can convert over.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 169 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 932 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,449 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 325 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 458 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,014 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.