Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hoping for thoughts & advice
RE: Hoping for thoughts & advice
Congratulations on getting a new machine! I hope it'll arrive soon.

All your events were the pesky stuff: hypopneas, RERAs, flow limitations, snores. No CAs, no OAs. And it sounds as though you were doing OK with your new minimum of 8 but got awakened by mask problems when the pressure rose to around 11. Is that the right picture?

If it is, then I would say we just want to get you through the rest of the week with a more comfortable experience. So I would suggest you set your min = max = 9. With luck, this will give you a longer period asleep with the mask on, without incurring too much of a price in apnea events.

Once your new machine arrives, we'll have a few more nights of data to work with in coming up with some initial ResMed settings.

Sound like a plan?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, sounds great.
Post Reply Post Reply
Garfield,
Your doing great and hope you receive your new machine soon.  I think you will see a difference in therapy and comfort between Respironics and the ResMed brand.

BTW, Dormeo is giving you good advice.  Although you don't seem to have a major leak problem using the DreamStation, there is a difference on how Respironics calculates leaks compared to ResMed.

The link she gave is good reading for anyone concerned about leaks.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Rate_Graph
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ResMed has arrived, any thoughts on where I might start vs. my DreamStation? Should I match the pressure? Thoughts on where to start the EPR?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
You can copy settings from the DreamStation if you want a starting point. On the ResMed AutoSet, it has a setting called EPR you would find a benefit in using. Find it and try Full Time on 2 or 3. These number settings are identical to pressure settings, as in cmH2O. However EPR 1, 2, or 3 is how much cmH2O exhale relief the pressure drops.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news about the new machine! Do be sure to check it has a filter in it and an SD card.

I agree with Sarcastic Dave; you definitely want some EPR. You have been using PR flex of 2; it works differently from EPR, but EPR of 2 is certainly a sensible place to start. If it seems smooth and easy, you'll want to increase it to 3 to help as much as possible with the hypopneas and flow limitations (and, we can hope, RERAs).

Did you spend your last day or two with min = max = 9? Any opinion yet on whether it was more restful to avoid pressure changes? At any rate, as Dave suggests, you can just plug in your current PR settings as a starting point. Once we can see a chart or two, we'll have a better idea how to fine-tune your settings.

Onward!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll be honest, I've been struggling with the PR. I've been in that 8-9 range but having problems taking off the mask unknowingly and constantly waking up. I've been dragging all day and decided to take a 30 min nap with the ResMed. First, I immediately noticed how much easier it was to breathe with this thing, and I know this is extremely small sample size...but my AHI came back 0.0 with the same Dreamwear Full Mask I was using on the PR. So I am very hopeful for tonight's rest, but I guess we will see.

Right now the ResMed is at 8-12 with EPR at 3. The other thing to note is that the tube size is 15mm vs. the 12mm on the PR Go. Not sure if that is helping or not either.

Thank you for the feedback, fingers are crossed!
Post Reply Post Reply
8 - 12 with EPR of 3 sounds fine -- leave it right there if you actually napped with it! My trial machine was a PR and my "keeper" a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. Like you, and many other people, I found the ResMed much easier to breathe with. The PR always seemed to be forcing me to take a new breath before I was ready. I've learned since that this is due to its design: it averages your recent breaths to anticipate when you'll want to take a new breath. The ResMed is designed to wait and see when you actually start to breathe in.

Good luck tonight! Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just note this, that therapy will be greatly improved with the switch to ResMed. It's going to be more comfortable. EPR has real advantages to comfort and therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welp, I'm sold.  What a difference.  I did wake up just now with an extremely dry mouth....I wonder if the humidifier is set correct...any other thoughts to fine tune my configuration?

Thank you so much!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.