Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hoping for thoughts & advice
RE: Hoping for thoughts & advice
The one other thing I did notice with the PR vs. the Resmed is that the PR's humidifier works much better. I had some similar issues with dry mouth on the Resmed and tried to boost the humidity level manually which ended up in rain out. It bothers me less now, don't know if I am just adapting to it or some other reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at your leak chart, you see some spike leaks and some that have a long flat top.  The flat top usually mean air is coming out your mouth or you are mouth breathing.  Either will give you a very dry mouth.  Yours is not very bad but it is hard to stop.  If it gets bad enough people use a collar or even tapes their mouth also full face masks are used.  None of these are real attractive.  I don't think it is a problem yet but I don't think it has anything to do with the machine.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Garfield, so glad you like your new ResMed machine! Eventually you may want to turn the ramp off, but if you like having it, keep it for now.

It's good to see you had no hypopneas and no OAs. The little cluster of CAs probably indicates a period when you were awake or nearly so, and I think you can just disregard it.

Your pressure went up around 12:20-12:30 in response to some flow limitations. From the flow rate, I would guess you might have woken up in response to the pressure increase. Any memory of that?

If the leaks aren't waking you up, you don't need to address them. It's hard to be sure, but looking at the flow rate, it is at least possible they do sometimes disrupt your sleep. Do you have a sense of that, one way or the other?

The dry mouth is due to mouth breathing inside your FF mask. You can try increasing the humidity, though that may not make much difference. Some people get relief from Xylimelts, which are small discs that adhere to your gums or teeth and throughout the night stimulate more saliva. Do you breathe through your mouth during the day?

I'd say keep your settings where they are for now and keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2020, 10:14 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Garfield, so glad you like your new ResMed machine!  Eventually you may want to turn the ramp off, but if you like having it, keep it for now.

It's good to see you had no hypopneas and no OAs.  The little cluster of CAs probably indicates a period when you were awake or nearly so, and I think you can just disregard it.

Your pressure went up around 12:20-12:30 in response to some flow limitations.  From the flow rate, I would guess you might have woken up in response to the pressure increase.  Any memory of that?

If the leaks aren't waking you up, you don't need to address them.  It's hard to be sure, but looking at the flow rate, it is at least possible they do sometimes disrupt your sleep.  Do you have a sense of that, one way or the other?

The dry mouth is due to mouth breathing inside your FF mask.  You can try increasing the humidity, though that may not make much difference.  Some people get relief from Xylimelts, which are small discs that adhere to your gums or teeth and throughout the night stimulate more saliva.  Do you breathe through your mouth during the day?

I'd say keep your settings where they are for now and keep us posted.

No memory of it at all.  I was out cold, and didn't wake up until about 2:30.  It took me a bit to get back asleep, but once I did, I was out without interruption until 7:30.  I typically breathe through my nose most of the day, and even at times in the full mask...I can't help but wonder if I'm still adjusting to the mask.

I have a F30i now and a NasalWisp I'm going to try...see if either of those work.

Now I wonder if I will ever be able to use the PR...

Thanks again for everything!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2020, 08:14 AM)SleepinAZ Wrote: The one other thing I did notice with the PR vs. the Resmed is that the PR's humidifier works much better. I had some similar issues with dry mouth on the Resmed and tried to boost the humidity level manually which ended up in rain out. It bothers me less now, don't know if I am just adapting to it or some other reason.

I boosted to 5, i'll go to 6 tonight.

(10-23-2020, 08:43 AM)staceyburke Wrote: If you look at your leak chart, you see some spike leaks and some that have a long flat top.  The flat top usually mean air is coming out your mouth or you are mouth breathing.  Either will give you a very dry mouth.  Yours is not very bad but it is hard to stop.  If it gets bad enough people use a collar or even tapes their mouth also full face masks are used.  None of these are real attractive.  I don't think it is a problem yet but I don't think it has anything to do with the machine.

It probably is the mouth breathing.  I'm still a bit claustrophobic in that full mask.  I'll try nudging up the humidifier tonight to see if that improves things.  Also going to try the F30i.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 280 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 860 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,795 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 78 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.