Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Horrible Allergies
Horrible Allergies
Worst allergies this year...congested and constantly runny nise. Been using a Neti Pot, took decongestant earlier and an allergy pill. Still don't have and can't find anything to use as a chin strap. It's Easter in Mexico....biggest and most important holiday in the country, so in my area, most everything is closed. All of this to ask if using the CPAP tonight is of any value! Last night was full of major leaks...no doubt open mouth.
Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Horrible Allergies
I always find using CPAP is better than not. Congestion does not seem to be a problem with my nasal pillows.

Got a pair of long stretchy socks or nylons you could use to improvise a chin strap?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 10:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I always find using CPAP is better than not. Congestion does not seem to be a problem with my nasal pillows.

Got a pair of long stretchy socks or nylons you could use to improvise a chin strap?

I'll try using it...thanks. No socks, nylons, scarves..believe me, I've looked through everything. I even tried using part of an old t-shirt that had become a dust rag. Thanks again.

Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
won't help you right this minute, since you cant buy anything, but i have been using xlear nasal spray with tremendous success! you are already using a netipot, just add a tbsp of xylitol to your saline mix - it is very effective.

practice making a suction cup of your tongue on the roof of your mouth - i have actually woke with my mouth open and my tongue in this position with no leakage.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 12:25 AM)DariaVader Wrote: won't help you right this minute, since you cant buy anything, but i have been using xlear nasal spray with tremendous success! you are already using a netipot, just add a tbsp of xylitol to your saline mix - it is very effective.

practice making a suction cup of your tongue on the roof of your mouth - i have actually woke with my mouth open and my tongue in this position with no leakage.

Thanks, after things open up again, I'll see if xylitol is available down here.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 08:47 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: Worst allergies this year...congested and constantly runny nise. Been using a Neti Pot, took decongestant earlier and an allergy pill. Still don't have and can't find anything to use as a chin strap. It's Easter in Mexico....biggest and most important holiday in the country, so in my area, most everything is closed. All of this to ask if using the CPAP tonight is of any value! Last night was full of major leaks...no doubt open mouth.

A few years ago, after zyrtec , claritin, albuterol, etc, quit working, and only alternative left was starting allergy shots. I followed the suggestion of trying local unheated honey. it has be to produced by the bees in your local area. it took me some effort to find local honey, but I began putting 1 tsp in my coffee and in 15 days time my allergies stopped bothering me. I hope it works for you too. Good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 10:13 AM)Mich Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 08:47 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: Worst allergies this year...congested and constantly runny nise. Been using a Neti Pot, took decongestant earlier and an allergy pill. Still don't have and can't find anything to use as a chin strap. It's Easter in Mexico....biggest and most important holiday in the country, so in my area, most everything is closed. All of this to ask if using the CPAP tonight is of any value! Last night was full of major leaks...no doubt open mouth.

A few years ago, after zyrtec , claritin, albuterol, etc, quit working, and only alternative left was starting allergy shots. I followed the suggestion of trying local unheated honey. it has be to produced by the bees in your local area. it took me some effort to find local honey, but I began putting 1 tsp in my coffee and in 15 days time my allergies stopped bothering me. I hope it works for you too. Good luck to you.

+1 on the local honey. I also use Flonase and singulair because my allergies used to be awful. Now I love going outside during pollen season and taking a big deep breath with no ill effects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 10:13 AM)Mich Wrote:

Thanks...I'll get some

Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
Have to confess...didn't use CPAP last night. I put on the mask, but my nose was too sore to tolerate it. Instead, I put neosporin on my nose and called it a day.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. I tried for a while. Had to sit up for a while. Finally gave it up.

Been using a saline spray/rinse. Have some Xlear arriving tomorrow.

I've never had it this bad before. Maybe the cpap is pushing the "stuff" further up in there than it would normally go without cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 838 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [CPAP] Masking with allergies cjde341 4 384 10-14-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Low AHI, horrible sleep, OSCAR data apneaHero 20 2,278 10-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: clan
  4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP aquamike 7 916 09-20-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Sleep horrible, number of nightly events have increased, charts provided. edyurgal 3 1,270 07-17-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: edyurgal
  Allergies and sleep apnea Rcgop 6 2,152 05-08-2022, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.