Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Horrible Night
Horrible Night
So... Everything was going ok this week. Definitely not a 0 AHI yet, but I was feeling great and then bam... last night I get this. I feel horrible. I am back to where I was before, hateful and snappy, wore out. I know the machine seems to be begging for more pressure, but this is a jump from just under 5 to 10. Could there be some other explanation besides poor settings? I don't want to keep tinkering with it until I have my first followup. This is a rental and I want to be compliant with insurance.
[Image: badnight.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Horrible Night
Just as a side note... I appear to have a vitamin B12 deficiency. For some reason I took a supplement before bedtime last night. Could that have upset my sleep enough to cause all of this?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd try another night, no B12 or anything before bedtime this time, to see if it returns to better readings. If not, then take it in and show your readout results and let them make the obvious decision. It looks pretty evident that your rig is set too low to knock down the restrictions you had, at least for that particular night. You need more than one night though or else your clinician will tend to pooh- pooh any single night results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance only checks to see if you USE the machine (typically, > 4 per night etc.)

Your Sleep Doc MIGHT fuss at you for changing a machine.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I cannot have nights like this and function. I pretty much did not work for 8mos this year because I thought I was going insane. The problem was my apnea had caught up with me. I would go into rage over the smallest thing. I am back working and definitely need good rest. If this goes on for a few days and the Sleep Doc can't work me in, I will have to change the settings myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, this is just me but when I get desperate I take charge. If I felt as you do, I wouldn't hesitate to bump my maximum allowable pressure up to somewhere around 16 cm. I don't much care if it offends anybody. This stuff isn't rocket science and having to be at the mercy of someone else to do the simple tasks that are often so obvious, and even when not obvious won't do any real harm, is ludicrous.

That's just me so... to each his own.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is staying maxed out near 9 almost all night.

I would either go see the sleep doc (for changed settings) if this continues or do what surferdude2 suggests.

It also spends almost no time down at the minimum setting of 4 so that is likely to be upped as well.

You said "Keep tinkering", have you already been adjusting your settings? What adjustments have you made?

There is a big difference between us suggesting someone should change the settings (I won't) and helping someone to pick good settings IF they have already made that decision (It's not rocket science).

Also do note that changing based on 1 night's data is pretty iffy in most cases, although sometimes the settings are so obvious that a good guess can be made pretty quickly.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
IF you decide to change your pressure settings, I wouldn't make a drastic jump to begin with. And, if you do change the settings, leave them there for at least a week without making other changes so you can see how you get along with those changes. If you make more than one change then you won't know which one is either helping or not helping. Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 07:37 AM)LJones Wrote: Just as a side note... I appear to have a vitamin B12 deficiency. For some reason I took a supplement before bedtime last night. Could that have upset my sleep enough to cause all of this?

Actually yes. Anything we do that we haven't done before, or anything we don't do that we normally do can cause our body to go crazy go nutz. Especially when we do it at bedtime.

So if it were my machine? ...and my cute, young, schoolboy sort of body? I would not take anymore B at night for now. I believe I would also increase the range a little (A LITTLE) because the 9/4 is way too low a number that would make me a happy camper. But I would not go further than 10/6 for awhile.

The one thing you do not want to do is jump the pressures too far which could then encourage your CA's to get even more cranky, making you even more cranky, which in turn could make everyone more cranky, because after all we are all different except for me, because I'm not different I'm the same and since I'm the same everyone else must be as well so I don't want to end up cranky because you cranked up the pressures on your gadget too far.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 11:46 AM)retired_guy Wrote: The one thing you do not want to do is jump the pressures too far which could then encourage your CA's to get even more cranky, making you even more cranky, which in turn could make everyone more cranky, because after all we are all different except for me, because I'm not different I'm the same and since I'm the same everyone else must be as well so I don't want to end up cranky because you cranked up the pressures on your gadget too far.

If you understood all of that, please translate for me. I think that I got lost at the second crank. Laugh-a-lot

Hope we are all having fun.

Sleep-well

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 805 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Low AHI, horrible sleep, OSCAR data apneaHero 20 2,227 10-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: clan
  4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP aquamike 7 869 09-20-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 895 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sleep horrible, number of nightly events have increased, charts provided. edyurgal 3 1,253 07-17-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: edyurgal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.