Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Horrible Night
RE: Horrible Night
welcome to the Land of the Cranks, from One Cranky Person to another. LOL

I was taking Sudafed for a few nights this summer due to allergies and congestion --- found out that I cannot fall asleep after taking that stuff. Don't know that it would affect others in this way, but it sure did affect me. Surprised me.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a common side effect of Sudafed and a good reason for avoiding it. Its efficacy is not all that great either.

Since I discovered Nasacort, I use it exclusively. I use it when my nose is stuffed up and it allows me to sleep whereas otherwise I would have a problem. It works better for my nasal stuffiness even though my problem isn't related to allergies. It work mostly locally and to a lesser degree systemically. The local relief takes place almost immediately and lasts a full 24 hrs. The systemic effect claims to take a week or more but I used it steady for a couple of months and I never could tell that it had any systemic value. However, perhaps it does since I am now able to get along without it, going on 30 days without. My ENT doc said it was OK to use daily and forever if I need it but to not exceed the recommended dosage.

Nasacort was prescription only until late last year when it was approved for direct sales over the counter. It has been a lifesaver for me. Oddly enough, neither my sleep doctor or my ENT told me about it. I found it thanks to Google and now I see it widely advertised on TV.
Post Reply Post Reply
My kids have used that off and on, the prescription version of it. They have a bunch of bad environmental allergies. We never open windows around here . . .

I wonder if I should try it, but is it something you have to wean off of? I cannot remember. It's not a steroid, right? What I'm thinking of is using it just for a night here and there when I need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a corticosteroid but since it's used locally (not orally) and at the proper dosage it doesn't go much further than where you spray it. Once you get your symptoms under control, it is recommended to drop the dosage in half. That would diminish the risk even further of it getting in your system.

It's not habit forming and there is no withdrawal issues that I felt when I suspended usage. Use it when needed, stop whenever you don't need it.

If you opt for it, Google nasacort coupon facebook and you can save $5.

It has been an absolute godsend for me. I hope it helps you too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of that info. Good info! Maybe I'll get away from this before bed: Blowing-nose
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a little less than 3 hours left in the workday. I am mainly making it on caffeine and sugar... I know, I know... I am going to go get some Nasacort after work because even out here in the desert we have horrible allergies. That could have been the culprit. Plus, I am going to go to the health food co-op to get a better mix of vitamin b12 to take in the mornings. Eventually it will iron out... If my numbers are not back down by Friday I will give a call to the Dr... I have only been on these settings for about 6 days. I do agree with most that the ma pressure is way too low. I woke up once and couldn't even tell that the pressure was in the mask.

On a side note... I rollerbladed for the first time in several years yesterday. I cannot believe the impact that this apnea has had on my life. I used to be active. To finally WANT to do physical activity is exciting. That is one reason today's numbers were so frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't get too stressed or worried about last night LJ. Take judicious and considered remedial action as appropriate, (I love it when I wax so--- fancy smancy) but recognize that we all have bad nights once in awhile. So last night was a crappy night, that probably means tonight will be just fine even if you do nothing.

Except perhaps substitute one of Ready's banana splits for that B Vitamin.

Post Reply Post Reply
Guys, (& gals) Since I have controlled my apnea and my nasal stuffiness, I wake up and stretch and get that pleasant feeling that I remember used to be standard years ago. I had all but forgotten how pleasant that feeling was. Apparently I've not been resting well for a long time.

Some days I feel like that "World's most interesting man" on the TV ad who once ran a marathon just because it was on his way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 01:23 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Don't get too stressed or worried about last night LJ. Take judicious and considered remedial action as appropriate, (I love it when I wax so--- fancy smancy) but recognize that we all have bad nights once in awhile. So last night was a crappy night, that probably means tonight will be just fine even if you do nothing.

Except perhaps substitute one of Ready's banana splits for that B Vitamin.

Waxing eloquent is difficult when you can't even remember your coworker's name! Unsure

Post Reply Post Reply

Just for reference, with a quality mask (for me the P10) it is almost impossible for me to DIRECTLY be certain that the "air is on" when awakening during the night -- even at pressures of 10 to 14 (and probably higher.)

If there are no leaks then there really isn't any wind or anything to tip your off.

Usually, I do this silly thing where I open my mouth (on purpose) briefly to let the air rush out and prove the mask and machine are doing something. Smile

This trick CAN also help you to clear a PARTIALLY stuffed nose when using a nasal pillow or nasal only mask.

The air flowing, at higher velocity and continuously, seems to work better than snorting or blowing my nose to get my passages fully open (it also helps seat the nasal pillows fully, especially if one of them is flapping slightly.

FYI: I hate the feeling of a "fly up my nose" when a nasal pillow is fluttering or flapping. This opening up the passageway USUALLY will seat that and stop the flutter after only one or two tries (10-30 seconds, as long as you can comfortably hold your breath.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Low AHI, horrible sleep, OSCAR data apneaHero 20 2,231 10-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: clan
  4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP aquamike 7 872 09-20-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sleep horrible, number of nightly events have increased, charts provided. edyurgal 3 1,256 07-17-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: edyurgal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.