Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Horrible bleeding sores from nasal pillows
Sad 
Horrible bleeding sores from nasal pillows
I am a new CPAP user and this is my second mask. The first mask was the wisp nasal mask but it caused blisters on my skin over my nose. They switched me to the Nuance nasal pillows with a small and medium size. I have tried loosening. Tightening. Applying KY and neosporin. I switch between the medium and small to try and get relief. I even turned my humidity down to 1 to see that helped. This morning, I took the nasal pillows off and sores started to bleed heavily. I have Medicare and the dr said I must sleep with it at least 4 hours a night to stay in compliance. I use a chin strap because I have always been a nose and mouth breather. Is it just the way my nose is built or do I just need to go to a full face mask? 
I wish there was a way to upload a picture to show what I am talking about Sad
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Horrible bleeding sores from nasal pillows
It sounds like you could be allergic to silicone as am I. Nothing I have tried so far has helped and I'm feeling desperate and helpless. Will be interested to see what responses you receive.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can post a link to a picture posted on an outside site. Just add a couple of spaces in the address you are linking to. You can post links directly a few minutes after your fourth post. Respond to ihatesleepapnea20's and my posts and you will be well on your way. It does take a while for your membership status to change after getting the required posts, so don't give up.

It may sound counterproductive, but you might try the large size pillow. Soreness is a common complaint when first starting out with a nasal pillow mask. The pillows should rest mostly on the outside of your nostrils. I use Lansinoh, which is a HPA Lanolin when my nostrils get sore from using my nasal pillow mask. It is used by breastfeeding mothers and can be found in the baby aisle in most retail and drug stores. A little bit goes a long way. It will help the sores heal and also help prevent the soreness.

As ihatesleepapnea20 stated, you could just be allergic to the silicone as well.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Panamamomma and ihatesleepapnea2017,

You both sound like you could benefit from using mask liners.  This will protect the area between the silicone and skin.

You can search from the supplier list at top of page, like Supplier #1.  Check around for best prices.  They have liners to fit most masks and they even have liners for nasal pillows masks.

Don't know if it will help, but worth a try.  

As far as bleeding sores, I suggest you see a doctor.  They need to be given a chance to heal.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are indeed allergic to silicone, using a cloth mask like Sleep Weaver should solve your problem. Definitely talk to your DME about trying it out. Blisters and bleeding are not normal reactions to getting used to a mask. Redness, soreness, yes, but not what you describe. Best of luck to you and hopefully you can get help right away with this issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I added more humidity and heat, went up a size to P10 Large and have had no chafing issues since. My nose had blood in it the first night I used a Nasal mask when I started and it didn't even touch my nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pajamamomma,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try a nasal mask instead of the pillows mask and see if that will help you.
The nasal mask gose over your nose. There are so many masks out there so don’t be shy about asking to try different ones ‘till you find one that works.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Fisher & Paykal Eson nose mask works great for me.

My clinic set me up with a Medium, but it gave me a deep painful mark on the bridge of my nose between my eyes.

After posting a pic here comments where made that the mask was to large for me... I downsized to the Small mask and have had no issues with it since. 

I trialed the pillows, but they gave my nostrils so much irritation I couldn't use them.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is very important to not overtighten the headgear. Once the pressure is on, it compensates for a lot of looseness. Try setting it to a looser setting.

Use Lansinoh in the morning, during the day and before bed. If you can trial a nasal mask while the sores heal, it would be a good idea.

Edit: I found the Airfit P10 the easiest and least painful to adapt to from a few nasal pillow masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is my opinion that the raw nose and slight pain endured during the first two weeks of using the P10 was very much worth the lifelong change. Don't give up, your skin will toughen up soon, hang in there till the sores heal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,764 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 320 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 397 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.