Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Horrible dry mouth getting worse
Horrible dry mouth getting worse
I'm sure someone has addressed this issue so I went through pages of posts but didn't find anything. What causes such dry mouth? Most days it's very bad and other days there isn't any at all.
Last night was the worst yet. My tongue still feels funny hours after I woke up.
Are there any tricks, processes or ways to resolve dry mouth issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Horrible dry mouth getting worse
It would be better to keep all threads together instead of making separate posts. The main reason for dry mouth is mouth breathing. You can see it in charts (leaks).
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
All my posts even though it's a different subject?
You could delete this then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything that has to do with therapy any other start another
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
DotLove,
The only reason we ask to keep to one thread is so we don't have to go back and forth looking for your data, but in this case, we can leave this here.

The first thing we think of with dry mouth is to look at the leak rate graph.  That would show us if you are mouth breathing.  Mouth breathing can leave you with a terrible dry mouth.  But I went back to your other thread and looked at your graphs and didn't see such a problem.

Now that's not to say you are not mouth breathing.  Your jaw may be dropping open while you are sleeping, just enough to cause that dry mouth, but not enough to show up on a leak rate graph. Even though you are using a full face mask, you can still mouth breath and end up with dry mouth.

The fix:  Try using a mouth rinse before bed.  My favorite is "Act Total Car Dry Mouth Rinse".  Some here use Biotene.

Also, you could move your humidifier setting up a notch.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will try the mouthwash. I have Biotene spray but it doesn’t last through the night. I may try the Gel. 
Thanks for you help. I understand why I should keep the same thread. Sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is something else called xlimelts??? It is intended to stay in your mouth all night long. I am not sure of the spelling because I have never seen it here in Canada but I have heard people in the US talking about it.

A non-mouth-breathing reason people get dry mouth is because they don't move the tongue around when sleeping. If you just rub your tongue against your teeth you will get saliva quite quickly.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh wow, that’s a neat trick. I looked up Xylimelts on the net. Thank you so much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 178 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.