Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose Cleaning
Hose Cleaning
Hello everyone,

What have some of you found to be the best method of hose and mask (not cushion) cleaning?

Anybody using a vinegar/water solution? How about frequency?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose Cleaning
I put a stopper in the kitchen sink (after sanitizing), put enough water in to soak, and use dawn dish detergent. Once a week for almost 8 years now. Seems to work for me.

I squirt a little in the end of the hose, some in my hand for the mask, including cushion, and some in the sink. About a 10-15 minutes soak, rinse and air dry.

(08-23-2015, 03:01 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Hello everyone,

What have some of you found to be the best method of hose and mask (not cushion) cleaning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Also use Dawn dish soap once a week on hose, rinse well with tap water, then rinse again with water and a small amount of white vinegar, rinse again, and then because I'm somewhat of a clean freak, I pour some distilled water in hose, empty and hang to air dry. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I used 5% white vinegar for my tubing. I set it up on the kitchen counter and run warm water through it. Then introduce the vinegar. Rinse well. I then take it outside and slink it around like a cat by the tail to semi dry it.

I don't clean the hose very often.

I have considered a 10 gauge shotgun bore brush !!!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stanleydean,
I clean all my CPAP parts, mask, hose, and water chamber in a warm, mild soapy water soak in the "CLEANED" kitchen sink, once a week, I use Ivory liquid.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I cleaned mine one time with warm Dawn soapy water, maybe six months ago, and it seems to be doing just fine. It's not something I consider very important.
Post Reply Post Reply

I wash it all my parts in warm soapy (Dawn) water once a week. After I wash the mask and mask parts, I use a diluted solution of white vinegar and water and swish it in the hoses. I then rinse with hot water and air dry the whole mess.

Post Reply Post Reply
I mix white vinegar with warm water and dawn dish soap (original scent). I make sure to fill the hose with the soapy water by covering one end with my thumb while dipping the other end into the solution until it is full all the way through the hose. I leave it all to soak (mask, hose, humidifier tub) an hour or two every week. Rinse it all out and hang to dry. When I assemble it a few hours before bed, I turn on the warm up feature to blow air through the hose to push out excessive drips caught up inside. I sometimes do the warm up procedure a couple of times if I have time before bed. I really don't like all the extra moisture that might be in the hose bubbling on my nose from cleaning. It helps. I have a small plastic dish pan that I use only for cleaning my CPAP equipment. Don't like the idea of soaking directly in the sink with any bacteria.
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean mine, wash the tank, and change the filter after I use it on the boat. The system absorbs the salt water seashore smell. It smells like a swamp if I don't clean it carefully. I use name brand lemon-scented dish liquid but the brand varies. At home on distilled water, I go many weeks just adding distilled water. I have great health insurance that pays 100% for durable medical equipment. I swap in new P10 nasal pillows every month or so instead of washing the old ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do the same as Trish, but use Palmolive.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,791 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.