Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose Length / Travellers
Hose Length / Travellers
Seems like the standard length of hose is six feet  

I've seen some hoses as long as eight feet. don't know if there are longer lengths available but that poses the question:

Does the length of hose affect therapy?

Are there shorter lengths available? Say a traveler has an air-mini or similar, and wanted to save valuable luggage space and use a two foot hose. Obviously they would be snuggling up with their machine but would it work?

An example: last year I took an train tour. slept in a sleeper cabin. needless to say, space was so tight that i slept with my full size machine tucked into me like my old teddy bear. hoses, cords dangling all over the place.  Made it work, although the train movement made sleep somewhat of a challenge to all on board.

Now getting up and going to the bathroom in the middle of the night is a whole other story...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose Length / Travellers
The only thing I see about having a longer hose is the problem of rainout.  Rainout is the condition of your humidity from your CPAP humidifier condensing inside your air tube.

A wet tube makes for the right conditions for things to start growing inside (sometimes unseen) and set you up for sinus and respiratory problems and infections.

The longer the air hose run, the more the chance for the humidity to condense in the air hose.  A hose covering will help in this matter.  But in winter, if you turn the heat down during the night, the longer run gives a better opportunity for condensation.

Of course, a heated air tube won't have a rainout problem, for example, a ClimateLine by ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 11:31 AM)CPAPUserDave Wrote: Seems like the standard length of hose is six feet.

Are there shorter lengths available? Say a traveler has an air-mini or similar, and wanted to save valuable luggage space and use a two foot hose. Obviously they would be snuggling up with their machine but would it work?

Go to Supplier #10.  Search "Standard Tubes."  They seem to range in size from 6' to 10'.

I didn't see anything less than 6', but I only checked the one site.  

As far as the length affecting therapy, my unofficial response is... I doubt it!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't see how it would, pressure is pressure no matter what length the hose is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used a 10 foot hose with no adverse effects on therapy. The ReMed heated hose is 6 1/2 feet long. Most others are 6 feet long. I have seen hoses shorter than 6 feet for sale by some of the suppliers on the Suppliers List. They were all 22mm hoses as opposed to the 15mm slimline hoses, if I remember correctly.

If I'm not mistaken the mini travel machines have proprietary hose and connector sizes so standard hoses will not work with them.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The longer the hose, the lower the pressure at the mask. But it's a very small effect and won't matter anyway if you have a machine that auto-adjusts the pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back in my younger days, 20 or so years ago, I used a F&P humidifier that was a separate unit.  It used an 18" or 24" hose to connect it to the CPAP.  It may take some hunting, but those short hoses might still be available.  Standard (7/8") connectors.  Happy Hunting.     Grin
MikeyT

In the Thumb of Michigan.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #3 has those hoses, both 18" and 24".  Other places may have them, but I only looked there because that's who I was dealing with then.  BTW, either is under $10.

Cheers,  Mike
MikeyT

In the Thumb of Michigan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 09:19 PM)MitchS Wrote: ...
If I'm not mistaken the mini travel machines have proprietary hose and connector sizes so standard hoses will not work with them.

The Dreamstation Go comes with their proprietary 12mm hose, but does accept a standard 22mm hose. I've been just using the 12mm hose for travel, and prefer the 22mm hose when at home.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,554 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.