Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose Size
Hose Size
Just out of curiosity, I would like to find out about hose sizes. Unfortunately there is lots of info about "modern" machines, but not so much mention of the older ones! So my old REMstar, pre-historic uses a hose that is about and inch and a half across. The new mask I got recently has this nice slim line stuff that's barely bigger than my little finger and light as all get out! I'm not sure if they make that smaller lightweight hose that will fit my machine. On the mask it has just a short length of that hose with a plastic coupler that attaches to the big old hose, but I'm not sure if I can replace the big old hose I have with that little stuff. Does anyone know? If so, what would I be looking for? There are so many names of so many different types of hoses it just all runs together in my brain!
Thanks,
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose Size
Hmm, that's a good question. Yeah, I remember those older hoses. Not see through so you couldn't see the crap growing in them. Now they're clear. And MUCH lighter.

Supplier #1 has a 22mm Respironics hose. That comes to 0.8661391" according to the converter. Measure the hose and see exactly what size it is. It doesn't say if it is the inside or outside size. I would assume inside.

Edited to add: I think using a different size hose would skew the data.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well if there was any data on this older machine it might..... Smile All I got is total hours and total times over 4 hours.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure on the PR System One machines, but on my ResMed S9 unit, there's a menu option to change between the slimline and standard size hoses. So I would think that there is a difference in delivered pressures with a different sized hose, although I wouldn't think it would be a large difference.

But, the end-caps on both the slimline and standard hoses are the same, so they can both fit onto the machine. Only the hose is smaller - it's the ends are the same diameter.

If you're talking about using an older machine with a newer slim hose, I would think that unless they have an internal CPAP menu setting for differing hose diameters, you would be best to use the diameter hose that the machine was designed for.

I would think that it would have an effect upon delivered pressure if you use a smaller hose than the machine was designed to use.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I would think that it would have an effect upon delivered pressure if you use a smaller hose than the machine was designed to use.

That's what I meant by skewing the data. I just said it wrong.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The 15mm slimline hoses only works on the S9 and the newer models of the PRS1 as SS correctly pointed out as it have the option to use either the standard or slimline hose
Post Reply Post Reply
The bigger hoses are better in terms of delivering the right therapy pressure and getting accurate measurement of apneas, pressure, etc.

Bilevel/BiPap/VPAP/ASV/FLEX/EPR are especially affected by narrow hoses.

Longer hoses have a similar bad effect.

Some machines have settings to attempt to compensate for narrow hoses.

I recommend the bigger hose unless you have a problem with the bigger hose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh well, it was just a thought anyway. I just figured with the chunk of whatever size, 15mm? that fits the Swift mask it is going to change the pressure just the same as if it were used the entire way, so... But if it has changed my delivered pressure it has not been by much because by and large I sleep great! I would just like a longer hose and I figured if I could get one that is smaller and lighter to boot, score!

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the smaller sized hose with my new machine and I like it much better. This is my second APAP machine and I don't notice any difference, (or problems with air-delivery,) as far as the way the air feels between the different sized hoses. I do think my new machine is slightly quieter then my Respironics PRS1. I'm using the Climate Line tubing.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.