Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose cleaning
Hose cleaning
Hi 
Any specific tips for hose cleaning. I've been cleaning it in a soapy basin of purdoux cpap cleanser and rinsing. I find it a bit of a pain and it always still seems wet by night time. Not sure if there's any other tips to make it easier?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose cleaning
I use Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean my hose in the same manner as you and had the same problem getting the hose to dry, even when slinging most of the moisture out by twirling it overhead. I finally found a 120 volt air mattress inflater that has adapters to fit most air mattresses. One of the adapters fits the hose end perfectly. By setting the inflater on top of a tall bookshelf, with the hose attached and hanging over the end toward the floor, my hose is dry in about ten minutes. I put a towel under the hose to catch any drips. The inflater cost less than 15 American dollars.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't wash mine. That's one option. Another is to have two hoses and rotate them so they have time to dry.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my hose about once a month, sometimes longer. Rolleyes  I have two hoses and rotate them.  

All I do is run hot water and Dawn detergent through the hose, swish around a bit, rinse and hang to dry.

Make this as easy on yourself as possible.  We have enough to do.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks !
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash it once a month with Dawn dishwashing liquid, flush it well with tap water and hang dry.
If not completely dry by the bed time, I just plug it in to the CPAP machine and run Mask Fit for a few minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just use soap for washing dishes, don't matter what rand. Soak for a minute of two then switch it around, rinse by running water through it then hang it up to drip dry. I don't do it as often as I should, but I am still here.
Mask and everything else gets same treatment. Do it first thing and it will be dry by night to reassemble and use.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Once a week, every Monday morning after I get up for the day. I use Dawn soap and hot water in my bathroom sink. I let it soak for about 20-30 min. and then swish it around well. 

I then rinse it out with hot water. I ordered some hose cleaning brushes, and they should arrive by tomorrow. I won't be using them each and every time I clean the hose, but will have them on hand when I do feel the need.

I hang it up and let it drip / air dry all day. By the time bedtime rolls around, it's ready to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2018, 07:38 AM)DWalla Walla Wrote: I don't wash mine. That's one option. Another is to have two hoses and rotate them so they have time to dry.

I have two hoses and even after 3 weeks there are still water droplets in the hose. I find that if I put the hose back on the CPAP and turn it on only long enough to get it to run the humidifier cool down cycle, it dries it out.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m pretty new at CPAP, but, while I wipe or wash my mask daily, I’ve only washed the hose once in a month’s use. It’s not touching anything on my body, and it doesn’t seem to have condensation inside by morning, so I’m just not as worried about cleaning that part. (But I also rarely use my humidifier, so YMMV.)

My equipment remains damp by bedtime pretty much every time I wash it. I have arthritis in my hands so perhaps I can’t shake enough water out? Probably the temp and humidity of one’s home makes a difference for the drying time. I prefer a cool bedroom, and I do run a room humidifier during our dry season, so my washing conditions are cool and moist.

I found it ridiculous when the respiratory therapist said, “Just wash it in the sink” when I asked for more info on how to wash a 6 foot hose. It is NOT convenient, but I have managed to give it a rinse in the stall shower. My shower head won’t hold it up for drip drying, but, luckily, I have an installed shower shelf at ~chest level where I could let it drip until it was a bit less messy to move to a sunny spot near a window.

—willo
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 173 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,801 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 186 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 614 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.