Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose connecting to face mask, or connecting overhead
Hose connecting to face mask, or connecting overhead
I am about to get a bipap machine,  and another mask. I have used FFM pretty much exclusively for years, most recently the Air Touch F20, having the hose connected to the front of the mask. I am interested in trying the F30i,  but have no experience with the tube at the top of the head. Of those who have had both connections, what are the pros and cons?  I DO toss and turn at night, and sleep on both sides as well as my back., to give my sides a break. I am curious about the air movement on both sides of my face, the air temperature,  and the ability to keep the overhead connection together. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose connecting to face mask, or connecting overhead
I was just given an F30i during my latest Titration. Just my opinion that follows.

Positives for top of head connection,
Hose night not pull mask off kilter as much without hose holder
Hose may be less likely to be in your face
Might be easier to transition to back or sides

Some things that are maybe negative
Silicone frame pieces can get pinched a bit side sleeping, increasing noises heard
Can get cold-ish
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have owned both and I much prefer the top model. I am also an active sleeper and like the tubing out of my way. I know NO negative reasons
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally prefer hose on top of the head, but that comes with caveats like hose frame causing noise conduction to the ear when breathing. It also depends on if the mask types with hose on the top works for you. The only top of hose designs I've seen are cradles, nasals, or pillows. I've not seen a F20 like mask (like a pilot's mask) with a hose up top.

For instance, I had issue with the cradle being shifted with the F30i, and my AHI would on occasions rise significantly. I had better nights with F20 for FFM, but things are more complex than that. I generally get even better therapy using nasal masks. So, the top of the head design that works well for me is the DreamWisp since the regular Wisp works well for me. I get better CA, AHI, flow limitations with nasal masks.

Although I hear breathing noise with Dreamwisp, I use a white noise maker to mask noise. Since I'm a back and side sleeper, I like the hose on top over hose on the mask. It depends if the hose on top design works well for my therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you go about cleaning the air tubes on the F30I? 

The thing I like about the F30 and F20, is that they are super easy to clean. I've pretty much adapted to the hose being in front.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean it once a week by soaking it in warm soapy water and then rinse it out by apending the opening on the faucet to shoot water through the tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine doesn't get dirty. Why? No machine to use a mask with until QUACK doctors get with the program.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the hose is the worst part of equipment to clean. I have a brush on a long wound wire, but it's not long enough. 

When I ordered it, it was stated to be 7' long. It showed up and was too short. It was too much hassle to return it, so I make do the best I can with it. 

Not crazy about the idea of not being able to thoroughly clean the air tubes on the F30i. Think I'll just stick with my F30 AirFit.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never tried the F30i, but I have used the PR Dreamwear which is their equivalent. It has 2 side tubes for the airflow, but If I was on my side and just had partial blockage of one side, it made a bit of noise but not enough to bother me.  I was concerned about cleaning.  The side tubes are worse than cleaning the hose (I used to clean the hose, but now just replace them--I don't use a climate hose or humidifier so they are usually fairly cheap).  The main reason I switched back to F20 was the mask kept loosing seal and waking me up--but again that was not the F30i.  Oh, yeah, forgot... The top of head connection, otherwise was great.  I move around a lot so that part I liked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for their reply. I'll try the F30i. If not for me I'll try the other F30. I currently have the Air Touch F20, which is usually OK, except when the pressure on the bridge of my nose starts hurting.  Whichever I buy, I will have to cut the magnetic catches off because of my newly implanted. Defibrillator.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.