Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose diameter question
Hose diameter question
I have a Phillips dreamstation auto currently using a 15 mm diameter hose. I noticed my DME is shipping me a 19 mm diameter Resmed hose. In the dreamstation settings there are only settings for 12 mm, 15 mm, and 22 mm. Does it really make a difference? Should I send the hose back and insist that they find one that replaces my existing hose? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose diameter question
Not sure why they would send you a ResMed hose if you are using a DreamStation. Call and ask for the same hose if it doesn’t fit.

The standard hose size is 19mm with 22mm ends. There are also Slim Tubes 15mm with
22 mm ends. Either will work as the ends are the same.

So all tubes will have the standard 22mm ends and are compatible with any mask.

The exception is if you are using a heated tube.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The tubes all have 22 mm universal fit ends on them unless you are using a heated tube which means they must send the proprietary brand tube. I had a Philips tube sent to me for my Dreamstation and I simply called and they sent a replacement of the right kind and a return label. I removed my Resmed tube from the shipping box and sent back their Philips. You could do the same if you want. If you keep it, use the 22 mm setting, but I would ask the supplier to send the correct tubing. In fact I would ask the doctor to change the script to heated tube.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Full size CPAPs and masks have 22mm hose connections.  This is one of the few standardization in this industry. A normal size hose is usually 19mm and a slimline hose is 15mm in diameter.  A hose size can act like an accumulator, thus the larger the diameter the greater the volume of air is required to affect a pressure change on the sensors. I don't have any knowledge as to how much the size can effect its sensing capabilities.  I switched from a slimline (15mm) to a standard (19mm) recently.   The larger diameter reduced the air velocity, making it quieter than with the slimline hose.  .  .  but that's just me.

If your machine doesn't list that size hose, I would either return it or try selecting a size closest to it.

You sparked my interest.  Please keep us up dated as to what you decide.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Edited to add: I reread the replies and I appreciate the input. I am trying to read on my phone without reading glasses. I will try to get the right hose. 
Original:
I don’t use a heated hose. The DME only stocks resmed equipment.  I got the machine when I lived out of state and have moved since.  What I have been using for the last two years is a 15 mm inside diameter Philips hose. I think the 19 mm is all that they have available.  I know that 22 mm is the standard for the connection.  What I really would like to know is does the inside diameter of the hole is make any difference for the therapy? Because there is no setting for 19 mm on the dreamstation. I can order 15 mm hose online, but since insurance is paying for part of it I would rather get one that is covered.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your 15 mm tube is the same as the Resmed Slimline tube which is also 15 mm. They are a direct swap without any setting changes. The 19 mm tube is able to be used with the 22 mm setting on your machine. It should work just fine, and in fact they are both named slimline.

Do yourself a favor and buy an inexpensive fleece CPAP tube cover. They really make it more comfortable and quiet. Amazon is a good source.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure drop in the hose depends on the diameter and flow rate. At zero flow, it doesn’t matter. At peak flow, it does. The hose is sort of a bellows, and airflow at the wall is turbulent. That means the effective diameter is actually smaller than you might think.

There’s going to be more effective difference between 12 and 15 than be between 19 and 22, for example.

Regardless though, you machine is compensating for the restriction in the hose size that is selected. It has no way of knowing what the actual size is. If the selected size is not correct, the pressure in your mask will not be accurate when air is flowing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2019, 06:05 PM)123456 Wrote: I have a Phillips dreamstation auto currently using a 15 mm diameter hose. I noticed my DME is shipping me a 19 mm diameter Resmed hose. In the dreamstation settings there are only settings for 12 mm, 15 mm, and 22 mm. Does it really make a difference? Should I send the hose back and insist that they find one that replaces my existing hose? Thanks.

This information from the provider manual for the DreamStation suggests that the 19mm ResMed tubing that your provider sent you may not be ideal.  It may fit due to the 22mm ends being universal, but there is no setting for 19mm on your machine.  I would return it.  If they can’t supply you with Respironics supplies, you may want to look for another supplier.

Form the Provider Manual:
The tube setting allows you to select the correct size diameter tubing that you are using with the device. You can choose either (22) for the Philips Respironics 22 mm tubing, (15) for the Philips Respironics 15 mm tubing, or (12) for the optional Philips Respironics 12 mm tubing. When using Heated Tubing, the device will automatically change this setting to the appropriate tubing type (15H).
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to everyone who has responded. I will contact my DME after the holiday to see if I can get the correct hose for the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: both the DME that shipped me the hose, and the one I originally got my machine from both say that the hose size does not make a difference. But logically it would seem that it should make a difference because the volume of air is different when the diameter is either increased or reduced.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 640 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,556 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.