Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose glue?
Hose glue?
I am looking to make the smallest travel kit possible. While not frequently, when I do travel, I only carry on and I need the smallest cpap gear kit possible. I am starting with one of the new Z1 travel machines. Very small, nice 4' thin hose, overall very tiny. Excellent. I haven't used it yet, but am going to the UK for 4 nights next week and am planning on bringing it. I don't sleep on planes, so I'm not worried about powering it during the flight, but I digress. My concern is the humidifier. It has none. Only an inline heat/moisture exchange unit, which from what I have read, doesn't work. So I bought what I thought is the smallest passive humidifier I could find - the F&P 900HC105. It's small enough, but to save even more bag space, I'd like to reduce the 2' patch hose in half. What I need, is a good method to reattach the rubber end to the bare hose. I am quite handy, and can remove inner material of the hose end so the hose will fit inside, (and now for the actual question) I need a glue that will adhere to the hose and rubber end, not react to the water/humidity from the humidifier, and not offgass any smell. I was thinking a simple silicon caulk, which I'm pretty sure once cured it pretty odorless, but I just wanted to ask here...

Any ideas?

And thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose glue?
I think you are on the right track. The silicon should stay flexible but also seal the hose to the connector. I'm not sure what holds the hose in the first place. You might try unscrewing the connector, if the hose is sort of threaded into it. IF that works then you might be able to cut the hose shorter and screw the connector back on to the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 10:53 AM)drgrimes Wrote: I think you are on the right track. The silicon should stay flexible but also seal the hose to the connector. I'm not sure what holds the hose in the first place. You might try unscrewing the connector, if the hose is sort of threaded into it. IF that works then you might be able to cut the hose shorter and screw the connector back on to the hose.

It's bonded in somehow. Probably heated or heated/glued. It's not coming out easy. My plan so far, use a standard hose end, with a slimline hose, which fits inside the standard hose end, without having to gouge out the existing hose. Going to Home Depot and getting some food grade silicon caulk. Will rough up (slightly) both surfaces, and slather the caulk in. We'll see... I'll post a photo of the finished product (after a nights trial run to confirm it actually works).
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to try using a different patch hose, such as the short hose that comes with several of the ResMed masks including the Mirage Activa. It's about 10 inches long, and it includes a swivel piece for connection with the main hose that can be removed. It costs about $10 online if ordered as a replacement part.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 11:13 AM)big_dave Wrote: You might want to try using a different patch hose, such as the short hose that comes with several of the ResMed masks including the Mirage Activa. It's about 10 inches long, and it includes a swivel piece for connection with the main hose that can be removed. It costs about $10 online if ordered as a replacement part.

Interesting idea. I have a couple of masks that use what I think you are referring to (swift fx, wisp), but they all have proprietary connectors on the mask side, which won't fit on the male connections on either the cpap unit or the humidifier chamber. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong hoses?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 11:26 AM)mchad Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 11:13 AM)big_dave Wrote: You might want to try using a different patch hose, such as the short hose that comes with several of the ResMed masks including the Mirage Activa. It's about 10 inches long, and it includes a swivel piece for connection with the main hose that can be removed. It costs about $10 online if ordered as a replacement part.

Interesting idea. I have a couple of masks that use what I think you are referring to (swift fx, wisp), but they all have proprietary connectors on the mask side, which won't fit on the male connections on either the cpap unit or the humidifier chamber. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong hoses?

Now I see what you mean. The "resmed inlet tube". Looks like it might be a perfect solution! I'm ordering one now, in hopes it will be delivered by Wed. I will silicon my contraption as well, as a backup incase it doesn't arrive in time. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 11:26 AM)mchad Wrote:

yes, wisp is one that has a hose like that. it would really limit movement and possibly cause your machine to be pulled on the floor or off of whatever you put it on when you are sleeping during your travel.

Sometimes, hoses are connected to whatever with screws that we can't see unless we take them apart. I don't know if this is the case but it might be less expensive for you to see if you can buy a shorter hose with the right connector. Just some ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 10:18 AM)mchad Wrote: I am looking to make the smallest travel kit possible. While not frequently, when I do travel, I only carry on and I need the smallest cpap gear kit possible. I am starting with one of the new Z1 travel machines. Very small, nice 4' thin hose, overall very tiny. Excellent. I haven't used it yet, but am going to the UK for 4 nights next week and am planning on bringing it. I don't sleep on planes, so I'm not worried about powering it during the flight, but I digress. My concern is the humidifier. It has none. Only an inline heat/moisture exchange unit, which from what I have read, doesn't work. So I bought what I thought is the smallest passive humidifier I could find - the F&P 900HC105. It's small enough, but to save even more bag space, I'd like to reduce the 2' patch hose in half. What I need, is a good method to reattach the rubber end to the bare hose. I am quite handy, and can remove inner material of the hose end so the hose will fit inside, (and now for the actual question) I need a glue that will adhere to the hose and rubber end, not react to the water/humidity from the humidifier, and not offgass any smell. I was thinking a simple silicon caulk, which I'm pretty sure once cured it pretty odorless, but I just wanted to ask here...

Any ideas?

And thanks.

Silicone is going to smell a long time. I would just add some clear tape to the hose to make it a tighter fit into the adapter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or you could just use electrical tape on the outside of both the hose and adapter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of times when traveling I don't use the humidifier. I take the humidifier off my machine and connect my hose directly. I know a humidifier is important for regular use, but a night or two without it hasn't ever bothered me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,553 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.