Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP - Trigger function can prevent CA's.
RE: VPAP - Trigger function can prevent CA's.
Am I the only one who felt strained and rushed to take a breath with a trigger set to anything above medium?
Post Reply Post Reply
sleepover, Most people are good at the default settings. Unless you have a need I'd leave them alone.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
sleeplover69 Wrote:Am I the only one who felt strained and rushed to take a breath with a trigger set to anything above medium?

For me personally, I cannot feel a difference between Medium and Very High. I just know that the difference is about 25+ CA's per night less on Very High Trigger for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with what Walla Walla said.  Medium settings work for most people and they do not need to change them. 

The reason I changed from medium settings was that my AHI would not average below 5 no matter what EPAP/IPAP and PS combinations I used.  I got my new bilevel in December 2017 and I spent over 4 months trying to find the right combination to get the AHI down.

It wasn't until mid-April when I changed the Trigger/Cycle settings that my numbers began to improve.  (For the month of June my AHI is averaging 0.82 and I am feeling rested. 

So my take is that if the medium settings are working for you, there is no need to change them.  But the medium settings were not working for me and one option on the Aircurve Vauto is to try different trigger/cycle settings which I did and they helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another example from last night, EPAP=11 IPAP=14, trigger Medium. 
Were the Trigger high or very high, the shallow breath marked with the cursor would have been triggered the VAuto into a full breath.

[Image: 0yrMLIL.jpg]

Bigger-picture view of the event

[Image: Z9WleZk.jpg]

This happened just once during the night, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only got to play with the bilevel for 7 days. The medium settings were working for me in terms of how naturally it felt to breath with it, but my centrals were kinda high, around 5 index every night. Although half of them happen after recovery breaths.

With the amount of centrals I had, I wish I had tried harder to get accustomed to high trigger upon yrnkrn's suggestion to try increasing trigger above medium so as to catch more apneas. I tried twice, not for very long, to breath with 'high' trigger but it felt like the machine was rushing me and inflating my lungs fully before I could finish taking a breath. It was uncomfortable. My TiMin was set to 0.4s. Don't know if I should've increased or decreased TiMin to try to make higher trigger setting more comfortable or if it makes a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2018, 04:34 AM)sleeplover69 Wrote: I only got to play with the bilevel for 7 days. The medium settings were working for me in terms of how naturally it felt to breath with it, but my centrals were kinda high, around 5 index every night. Although half of them happen after recovery breaths.

With the amount of centrals I had, I wish I had tried harder to get accustomed to high trigger upon yrnkrn's suggestion to try increasing trigger above medium so as to catch more apneas. I tried twice, not for very long, to breath with 'high' trigger but it felt like the machine was rushing me and inflating my lungs fully before I could finish taking a breath. It was uncomfortable. My TiMin was set to 0.4s. Don't know if I should've increased or decreased TiMin to try to make higher trigger setting more comfortable or if it makes a difference.

Setting the TiMin might have made a comfort difference.  Not an expert here just trying to learn more myself.  But in the Resmed Clinical guide there is a section on suggested settings for TiMax and TiMin.  There is a chart which gives some beginning settings based on the Patient's Breath Per Minute (BPM).  In Sleepyhead this is the Respiratory Rate.

The following is a portion of that chart:

Patient breath (BPM)                Sufficient inhalation time (I:E = 1:1)                 Secure exhalation time (I:E = 1:3)
                                                      TiMin                  TiMax                                       TiMax

10                                               1.0                     2.0                                            1.5
     15                                               1.0                     2.0                                            1.3
     20                                               0.8                     1.5                                            1.0
     25                                               0.7                     1.2                                            0.8
     30                                               0.6                     1.0                                            0.7
     35                                               0.5                     0.8                                            0.7
     40                                               0.5                     0.7                                            0.7

Because my BPM (Respiratory Rate) is between 18/19 average my TiMin is set to 0.8. 
So using Resmed's chart, even if your BPM was 40 (try breathing 40 times a minute... not many are at that rate!) your TiMax should have been at least 0.5.

Most likely your BPM is probably slower than 40 which means your TiMin setting would be at least 0.5 or higher.  So would a different TiMin make a difference...possibly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  AirCurve 10 Vauto - Trigger Settings MrIvanDrago 1 327 02-08-2024, 05:31 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Pressure] Trigger in Airsense 10 Autoset Zeitung 3 373 01-06-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,461 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 315 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Dreamstation 1 APAP Function Not Working? gary w 4 529 10-12-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: gary w

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.