Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose length change
Hose length change
Will changing from a 6 foot to a 10 foot hose affect pressure?
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose length change
Found this older thread on hose length, but still informative.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ose-length
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 6 ft hose is really supposed to be 2 meters which is about 6' 6". (The cheapo one's DMEs provide are only 72"=6 ft.)
The 10 ft is actually 3 meters.

On Resmed machines, there is a setting for the two hose lengths.
I do not know about PR machines.

The 3 meter may have a slightly larger pressure drop at high flow rates.

It's remotely possible that the oscillation technique for discriminating between clear and obstructed airway events could be effected.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 11:37 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Found this older thread on hose length, but still informative.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ose-length
Thanks for the link. Believe it or not I searched for related threads a couple of times before posting my question. I must have used the wrong keywords

(01-31-2016, 11:48 AM)justMongo Wrote: The 6 ft hose is really supposed to be 2 meters which is about 6' 6". (The cheapo one's DMEs provide are only 72"=6 ft.)
The 10 ft is actually 3 meters.

On Resmed machines, there is a setting for the two hose lengths.
I do not know about PR machines.

The 3 meter may have a slightly larger pressure drop at high flow rates.

It's remotely possible that the oscillation technique for discriminating between clear and obstructed airway events could be effected.
Thanks for the info. It looks like I don't have anything to worry about.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 12:20 PM)pupcamper Wrote: Thanks for the info. It looks like I don't have anything to worry about.

You should be fine. Kindest regards, Mongo
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mongo. I'm still new at this and probably over think things sometimes. I've been reading through old threads trying to get up to speed. There is a tremendous amount of info on this forum. One thing I have learned, these tiny machines we all depend on are amazingly sophisticated and more complex than I would have ever dreamed. The more I use the board the more impressed I am at the vast amount of knowledge and talent that is available to it's users.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
There is an interim solution. I use the standard 2 meter heated hose plus an 18 inch SleepWeaver featherweight hose. This gives me ~7.5 feet total and a much lighter drag on my mask, especially since I also us an oxygen concentrator with an adapter and additional tubing at the mask end of my heated hose.
I have never considered the extra length or the addition of 2 LPM of O2 having any effect on my therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add a note about O2 induction into the CPAP stream.
According to ResMed, their machines can handle up to 5 LPM of O2 induction into the CPAP stream.
I too have a concentrator and induce 2 LPM into the stream.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that with auto machines it does not make a lot of difference, since the machine is going to use whatever pressure it finds necessary to control the apneas and if the machine keeps going to the high or low setting and staying there a lot, the informed user will adjust their range to give the machine room to find the best pressures. So the actual pressure is not really that important.

It may be more important for a single pressure machine but even so the informed user will adjust to get the best results. Most of these settings do make a palpable difference. I say that with some authority having mistakenly left the machine on several wrong settings. Used it and noticed some difference and figured out my mistake and corrected it feeling rather foolish and glad no one was watching me be so forgetful. Well that is my story.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,
I am interested in the answer to this as well. Trialling a dreamstation, like I further than 6 ft from bed so want to use two lengths of tube. Is this okay? I can choose either 15mm or 22mm which is better? An engineer said the 22mm would require more air volume so may make machine work harder. Any thoughts? Has anyone used a 10 ft or more on dreamstation? Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,426 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,702 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.