Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose [size difference]
Hose [size difference]
I had the misfortune of stepping on my hose whilst on holiday and putting a hole in it. Managed to get if fixed although my poor Italian took quite a while to obtain Sellotape from B&B owner (turns out that Sellotapte in Italy is Scotch tape). Good tip for all CPAP travellers - stick a small roll of tape in your bag. Anyway, have just received a replacement hose and it is not the same. The one i broke had 15 stamped on it and i assume this refers to a diameter of 15mm. It has been replaced by one which is clearly wider in its diameter. My question is does this effect the settings? Will the fact that it is wider and therefore will take more air volume mean that my current settings are off?

Many thanks

John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose
Hello, Johnboy.

We have a Scotch tape in the US as well.

Go to My Setup/Tube Type in the patients menu to set the tube type. There are three choices. 12mm, 15mm and 22mm.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose [size difference]
it might affect the Settings quite a bit. The machines should be able to regulate the diameter difference, but I have experienced major differences from 22 to 15mm hose. I'd never use 15mm again. Breathing with a 22mm hose is simply better and AHI is significantly better. Everything seems more relaxed.
Post Reply Post Reply
My hose burst when I was in Austria.
At least the hotel owner spoke good English.
I got him out of bed and thought he might not be to pleased, but when I explained the problem, he got his
chief to look at the hose, what we did as it was almost blown in two (just holding by the plastic spiral) was to take Shrink Wrap (thin plastic wrapping for food) and stuck both ends of the hose together, then wrapped it with the shrink wrap (we cut a narrow strip off the end, about 3 inches) then used electrical insulation tape to wrap around the shrink wrap (it was not wrapped all the way, but the bit that burst was well wrapped).  It was wrapped for around six inches, then taped up.  The shrink wrap puffef ut a bit but it held for three weeks until I got a new hose.  It was only tiny bit of air that got into the shrink wrap that that made it puff out a bit, but none leaked, so it was a successful repair, though it was only a temporary one, I think it would have lasted for months.  I always carry an end cut off a roll of shrink wrap (I believe it is called something else in the states) and a roll of insulation tape.
I also take a extension cable with two sockets at one end (one for CPAP and one for phone etc) and a multi-tool 9which has to go into your case not with the CPAP or they will remove it and take it from you.
If you come to the UK, you will need a spare fuse for the travel adapter (they should be fused for the UK) it will need to be a 5 amp fuse. Pick it up from any D.I.Y. or electrical store.
In Europe they tend not to be fused and have the silly round plugs that will never stay in properly!
In the UK they are square 3 pin plugs so you will need a fused adapter plug for your own type of plug.

If you do not have cling film, any thin plastic bag will do, but it will need to be wrapped tightly and you might need a lot of tape.

I digress Oh-jeez
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2017, 09:18 AM)bspengler Wrote: It might affect the Settings quite a bit. The machines should be able to regulate the diameter difference, but I have experienced major differences from 22 to 15mm hose. I'd never use 15mm again. Breathing with a 22mm hose is simply better and AHI is significantly better. Everything seems more relaxed.

I have not found that at all.
Mind you, the hose I had before was 22mm but the mask was 15mm with a 15mm extension that was a foot long.
I was on higher pressure then as well.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I was actually using the original 15mm heated system hose for my Somnia 3. The system recognized the 15mm hose correctly.
When I initially tried to breathe with the 15mm hose with the same Settings as for the 22mm hose, I immediately had the impression to suffocate with the mask on.  I then upped the pressure a bit and used the system for 6 months. However after switching again to 22mm hose everything improved for the better again.
Now with the Dreamstation I might try again, because it originally Comes with a 15mm hose.

I usually have around 0,65l Tidal Volume with a Respiratory Rate of about 14 @ around 9.5mbar, which seems pretty normal to me and might not explain why the 15mm hose would not work for me. But obviously flow resistance with a 15mm hose is higher and the Somnia 3 was not able to compensate the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2017, 06:57 PM)bspengler Wrote: Interesting. I was actually using the original 15mm heated system hose for my Somnia 3. The system recognized the 15mm hose correctly.
When I initially tried to breathe with the 15mm hose with the same Settings as for the 22mm hose, I immediately had the impression to suffocate with the mask on.  I then upped the pressure a bit and used the system for 6 months. However after switching again to 22mm hose everything improved for the better again.
Now with the Dreamstation I might try again, because it originally Comes with a 15mm hose.

I usually have around 0,65l Tidal Volume with a Respiratory Rate of about 14 @ around 9.5mbar, which seems pretty normal to me and might not explain why the 15mm hose would not work for me. But obviously flow resistance with a 15mm hose is higher and the Somnia 3 was not able to compensate the difference.

It may very well be that the higher temp of the 15mn heated hose causes the suffocating sensation,  vs cooler air thru the 22 mm, unheated hose .
Post Reply Post Reply
Some machines have a setting for 22mm and 15mm hoses.

My old machine didn't so carried on regardless!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't notice much difference. A couple of my machines don't have settings for hose diameter. I run 15mm hoses regardless. I just like them better. Smaller. Lighter. Why just last month, I threw out probably half a dozen 22 mm hoses, still new in the factory bags because I see no use for them and got tired of them taking up space. Pressure is pressure.

Once again, I chalk it up to PII.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Where did you get a 15mm extension at? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,244 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 253 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 1,066 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.